Window Tinting (brand & type of tint & where) - Chicagoland N.W. Suburbs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Window Tinting (brand & type of tint & where) - Chicagoland N.W. Suburbs

I am looking to get my windows tinted on my '14 Mustang, and would like to be in the position of being educated when I start calling around for prices. Any input on which brands of tint are desirable and which ones to avoid, and also types of tint (metallic or ceramic). Illinois doesn't have scorching sun like the southern states, so would it even make sense to pay extra for ceramic tint? Though, I do hate getting into a 120 degree car... does ceramic tint work that much better than metallic?

Also, any recommendations for quality, fair priced tint shops in Chicago's N.W. Suburbs? ... with a lifetime warranty, and not a "tent store", but a real brick and mortar location.

Thanks.
SeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

To those that have tinted windows...
- How is your tint where it meets the black border of i.e. the 1/4 windows where the little black dots are? Did your tint shop just cover the dotted area with the tint (how does that look)? Did they gently "sand" that dotted area with a #0000 wool pad? Did they go right up to the dotted area with the tint?
- How close is you tint to the top of the door windows, i.e. 1/16th"? Or, is it clean to the edge?
- How does your back window look overall? Any notable imperfections? I ask because that is really a horizontal window in a tight area. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
- Did your tint shop computer cut the tint? If so, how does it look near borders and edges, such as I noted above? If your tint shop hand cut the pieces, how does it look near borders and edges, such as I noted above?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
IMO tint type does not really make a big difference. If u want peace of mind for with ceramic. As for the dot removal. If u can find a shop to do it you'll be paying top dollar for that. I made them do my back window four times before it was rite. I run 2.5% double layered. The darker you go the more imperfections will show. None of my windows have imperfections but I went to a great shop. All depends on how demanding you are. Tell them up front that if there's any imperfections you will make the redo that window. If there good they won't care. If they hesitate than go else where

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you go to a legit shop that knows what theyre doing they dont use a computer they actually put it on the outside and cut it there. That way whe. The put it on it will be perfectly contoured to the window and cover it just right without any gaps. As for the driver and passenger windows it cant go flush with the top of the window because the automatic windows will cause the rubber to grab the edge and start peeling it off shortly after install. As for tint choice i only use 3m products. And its usually lifetime warranty. Like i said above get a legit shop. They will stand by that. I will post pics of mine soon to give you an idea. But there is a hurricane outside right now. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually had some saved. Here ya are.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435284848183.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	185806   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435284866755.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	185807  

Name:	1435284884619.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	185808  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's a complete joke. A legit shop today will use a computer cut. Why? Because it's a perfect cut every time. It's faster than trimming and easier to work with by a long shot. Don't get me wrong a very good tint guy can trim them but to say a guys no good because he used a computer cut. Get off your high horse and wake up. It's 2015 and we have technology. My tint guy is very very good. He's very fast and always hooks my up. I run 2.5% double layered. The darker you go the more imperfections you will see. I have zero imperfections on all my windows and he was done in 30 minutes. I'm willing to bet your "legit guy" can't do two perfect layers of tint in 30 minutes now can he?

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435317609.432202.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	185834Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435317643.901886.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	185835

No worries guys. This isn't a "legit job". Must look like crap.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know where youre from but ive never seen any tint guy use a computer and ive been doing it for years. Id like you to show me 1 shop out there that uses a computer that cuts the tint for every vehicle? as for the legit shop comment i said that so he doesnt go on Craigslist by chance and find joe schmoe who will do it for 25 dollars, whos just there to take your cash then change his number. Oh and fyi, I did my car by hand no computer in about 30 min and its flawless as well.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Thank for the input...

CoyoteC303, hard to tell from your photos but on the 1/4 windows and rear window, does your tint end where the dots begin or does it go over the dots onto the solid black?

20prima10, that crazy dark tint looks sooo good on white. Why so dark? For me, too dark but looks incedible. If I had that where I live, the cops wouldn't like it. Same question I asked CoyoteC303, where does your tint end?

I have read mixed views on how to handle tint and that dot matrix. My dotted border is small, as is both of yours. From what I have read... If the tint goes over the dots, then that area looks silvery because the adhesive on the tint cannot adhere to the small surface area between the dots and is literally floating in between the dots. If the tint gets cut right before where the dots start, then you have that small area in between the dots where there is no tint.

From what I have been told (true or not?)... The computer tint cutting machines cost ~$5k. If the plotter is not 100% spot on then the cuts are off; having the most recent software is important.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The tint goes over the dots to the solid black and the right tint helps so you dont see silver or adhesive. Once again thats why i only use 3m products. Other wise there is goin to be a gap. You really dont even notice the dots. I have 15% on mine its dark,but not limo tint dark. 15 is perfect if you have dark interior.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have very sensitive eyes. I always have sunglasses on. Thanks I love the look of it

Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

I did check out a Chicagoland Mustang Club member's Mustang and love the way Tint To U - Orland Park, IL brings the tint all the way up the the window's edge on the door windows... gives the tintwork a real "factory" look. I'll have them do FormulaOne 35% Pinnacle Series (ceramic) all around (except windshield), and will post results along with photos when completed. Though the price went up $25 from what I was originally told 2 weeks ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing