$400-$450 reasonable to paint a SN95 roof black? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
$400-$450 reasonable to paint a SN95 roof black?

For a full sand down/prep/paint/clear/polish from a very good local shop. He basically told me if I was going to paint the roof silver it was not going to match and that is not the first place I've heard this.

Yes, no, maybe so?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It's fair. Supplies are easily half that when using a good clear. I spent 1000 on clear alone on a truck of mine and that's just for the supplies. Not labor.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I would have no problem paying that. Does he do quality work? Seems like a fair price
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sounds reasonable.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Scrapping the whole vinyl wrap idea?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah its a real good place, they host cruise ins every month during the summer too. I'd just have to roll the dice on this car with a rod knock going 5 miles each way to get there right now. IMO it would make it going real easy on it. I'd rather get it done now than let it sit all winter till it warms back up next year.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Scrapping the whole vinyl wrap idea?
The last piece I used pulled literally a layer of paint off the roof and exposed bare metal. That is something they kind of fail to mention might happen...

I could just prime/spray bomb the area and then cover it I suppose, I have a legit piece of 3M big enough to do it.

You guys think a **** spray job and then wrap it will hold without rusting?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

^ primed and wrapped it will be fine.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. If you think about it, the materials and any necessary equipment are going to cost a minimum of $200. And you will spend at least another day of your life screwing with that roof. So that's not a bad deal.

Since the car will be stored in a garage over the winter, if you just spray some primer on those bare spots, you won't need to worry about the roof rusting...

Says the guy from California.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well primer is porous. I worry about moisture getting under the vinyl and soaking the primer and then ****ing up the roof. I could always do the red bondo putty I have and sand it totally smooth and then wrap I suppose.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The last piece I used pulled literally a layer of paint off the roof and exposed bare metal. That is something they kind of fail to mention might happen...

I could just prime/spray bomb the area and then cover it I suppose, I have a legit piece of 3M big enough to do it.

You guys think a **** spray job and then wrap it will hold without rusting?
I do!
As long as the surface is prepared correctly, and the paint is halfway decent... It doesn't need to be a "flawless" paint job to still be able to provide adequate protection from the elements.

If you want to go that route, then just get some paint on the bare spots and smooth everything out, and then apply the vinyl.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well primer is porous. I worry about moisture getting under the vinyl and soaking the primer and then ****ing up the roof. I could always do the red bondo putty I have and sand it totally smooth and then wrap I suppose.

Sealer primer and done

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I meant if you just wanted to leave it uncovered and deal with it in the springtime.

Do you think there is enough paint leftover in the spray cans that you have?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Sealer primer and done

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Recommend a specific sealer primer or just krylon or Whatevs?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

If it were me I'd use epoxy primer like this. We used to spray cars with this stuff and it's not porous until you sand it. This stuff is amazing. Yes it's expensive but totally worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436821438.758276.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	187020

http://www.eastwood.com/2k-areospray...mer-black.html

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well I don't want it to be rough and I don't want it to be porous if I have to sand it lol. This stuff goes on smooth I'm assuming? No sanding with a real fine grit to smooth it?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 07-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

It goes on with a semi gloss type finish. Basically sealing it. We would shoot a car with this stuff like say a hot rod that was pure exposed metal. This would allow us to keep it like that and not worry about corrosion. Then it's a great base to any paint job. You can sand it no problem. It will still be sealed throughout.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

How much paint did the vinyl peel off?

If you have enough paint leftover from that kit, just do a quick repeat of the repair that you already did. Primer, base, and clear. Only, this time, without any expectations that the paint will match. That will give the metal good protection and a smooth surface to apply the vinyl.
You already own that paint so you may as well use it!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I do have a whole second can... I would just need to pick up a little primer and hit that one area and a few others. I may do this. Or just get a cheap can of black duplicolor and use that.

Like I said this repair is taking up way too much of my thoughts with this car but I haven't been able to do much else till I fully heal. I just don't want to spend any more money on this unless I'm going to be spending the $$$ to get the whole car done and that is something I am not planning on for a few years.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Why don't you just get it nice and smooth and matte black it (with paint)? Now it's protected, and you don't need a wrap. Paint doesn't have to match. Problem solved.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Because I know it'll leave streaks with a spray can. I'm not a spray bomb master lol. Don't want the rest of the car looking great and then have a **** roof.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Rhino liner!
Lol

Do what I do. Just forget about it and move on to the next task. You'll eventually figure out the best way to handle it.

And the damned roof will be a moot point anyway... Once you get the car running.
The only part that you need to concern yourself with, will be the ***-end of your car. That is the only part that anyone is ever going to get a really good look at anyways. Just a little Steeda badge, quickly disappearing into the horizon...
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

I feel like Scotty is the type of person who has these problems fester in his mind until they are fixed lol
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, yeah... I'll get it one way or another. I'm going to hit it with something to keep the rust from happening and then vinyl it one more time. If this one sucks too then I'll rip THAT one off and then take it to get painted. I've got a few smartphones for sale on the craigslist so if they sell they'd cover the cost...

Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I'd just have to roll the dice on this car with a rod knock going 5 miles each way to get there right now. IMO it would make it going real easy on it. I'd rather get it done now than let it sit all winter till it warms back up next year.
so why the rush to paint B4 the engine is right? Kinda like a fancy saddle on a lame horse...........

intended
Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to take the suggestions here to seal it with a good automotive spray paint and then cover it in the good sheet of 3M vinyl that I have. If not... well I'll also take the suggestions to just seal it and leave it all winter and I'll have to deal with that ugly roof every time I go in my garage haha.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Vinyl is what I would do.... Then again I know a guy that wraps a lot.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Only issue I think I might have is that if any little piece of crud gets under the vinyl while you are wrapping you can see it at certain angles. I mean its not bad and even cars with real nice paint are usually not perfect... just a nit.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Matte Black will be pretty good at hiding that kind of thing though. Just buy a couple tack cloths before you do it and wipe it down real well. There is a spot on my hood where a bit of something got under it when i was laying it down, but you have to lean over it and really look to find it. I understand the quest for perfection though!

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just bought a tack cloth and some duplicolor primer and paint today. Going to get it smooth with no bare metal showing and wrap it.

My plan is to keep this car for a loooooooooooong time. I will have it re-sprayed in 2 or 3 years and at that time it will be re done totally in Silver Metallic with the roof painted black, a black steeda wing, a Rockauto smooth bumper, a 99/01 Cobra front bumper, Terminator side skirts, Bullitt scoops, Bullitt/Mach sail panels and a Cervini hood. Have got the whole thing planned out, just need to wait for all the loans/CCs to fall off which is going to start next year as payments complete.

It was hard enough to come up with the $$$ to get this car in the first place, I am going to do it justice with only 34k and an original Steeda car. But for now the vinyl will work. And if not... I can always get it painted once its running I suppose.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sounds like a good plan! Sounds like you have your ducks in a row to, i bet you will be pretty happy with it!

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing