Mounting the GT/CS spoiler - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
Mounting the GT/CS spoiler

I know to install one of these spoilers you have to drill 4 new holes and reuse 4 holes from the factory spoiler. I was wondering if it was enough to just use the 4 holes already there since they will at least hit all 4 posts on the spoiler once, and then use a strong 3m tape to hold where the other 4 screws should go. I know my louvers are held on with only 3m tape so I feel like that in conjunction with with the other 4 screw should be plenty.
Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
You could get away with this but why? It will only take you ten minutes at most to mark out and drill these holes and it will make the spoiler much more stable and durable? They designed it this way on purpose

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
I too was wondering about the necessity to drill, however like prima said, it's made to be installed that way. Are you looking at getting that spoiler? Post up some pics when it's on and let us see it. I'm looking at that one as well.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Region: Other
While it seems like a good idea here is why I believe you need them. If you look at the design of the spoilers that mount with only the 4 holes you will notice that they rest on far more surface area of the trunk. Mainly they rest on the rear curve of the decklid. The 4 bolts holding them are essentially holding the front of the spoiler and the taped surface area in the rear keeps the spoiler in place.

With a pedestal style spoiler you are only secured in those small areas. There is nothing to keep the spoiler from rocking back and forth other than those extra holes. While tape is strong, it really boils down to the amount of surface area to size and weight of the spoiler for that tape to be effective.

I imagine your cs spoiler mounted this way would be pulled back and forth over time and become loose. Will it fly off? Prob not. It will prob just ruin those holes you do have or cause dents and marring around the area where it mounts. Don't forget these see a ton of vibration from the road *** well as shutting the trunk.

I believe some brainiac at ford put this puzzle together and that's why these have the extra mounting point. This probably costs ford extra as they have to have the extra holes drilled and supply the extra hardware. Anytime a car company can avoid these things, they usually do. So I would strongly recommend you decide if this spoiler is what you want and if it is, install it correctly.

This is coming from a guy who has a roush spoiler. 6 holes drilled in the quarter panels required for this. Commit and do it right
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
^^^^^^thanks for a detailed reply.
I was just curious. It makes plenty of sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Fax22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing