Issue with Cervini Paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Issue with Cervini Paint

While attending a car meet over the weekend, when it got dark they turned on the portable lights that were just across from where I was parked and I noticed something strange with my hood. I have the Cervini Cobra R that came preprinted. As you can see in the pics below, the paint is clearly not right. I don't really notice a big difference during the day, but under the portable lights it sticks out like a sore thumb! Everyone walking by noticed and mentioned that the hood didn't match. I have contacted Cervini and opened a claim. I'm waiting to see what they say.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439224402.730581.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	188988
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439224418.685095.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	188989

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I was going to say that they can't always make it match 100% but damn...

Get your bank involved if Cervinis gives you the runaround. This is why its very often better to get stuff like this painted locally where they can match the paint although sometimes with metallics that is not possible.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm an hour from Cervinis and will be buying one of their hoods for my 00 eventually but might think twice if they are screwing ppl over.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Get your bank involved if Cervinis gives you the runaround.
I'm just curious what you think that his bank is going to do?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So far, I have been emailing them back and forth sending them various pics of the hood. They asked if I was the original owner, and if the fenders had ever been repainted. I ensured them that I bought the car new, and it has never been repainted. They said that they spray this color on a daily basis, and it's about impossible for them to get it wrong. I sent them picks of the hood in daylight, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed.

Chris
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm just curious what you think that his bank is going to do?
If they guarantee the paint is going to match and it does not and they won't make good on it he can get the bank involved. Much easier if he used a credit card and if the product is not as advertised he can get his money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
So far, I have been emailing them back and forth sending them various pics of the hood. They asked if I was the original owner, and if the fenders had ever been repainted. I ensured them that I bought the car new, and it has never been repainted. They said that they spray this color on a daily basis, and it's about impossible for them to get it wrong. I sent them picks of the hood in daylight, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you informed.

Chris
Sounds like a typical rep, and they probably do a ton of hoods and get 99% of them right but that does not mean they can't mess up. Actually it is impossible for them not to have a screw up every now and then. Just stick to your guns and do not settle for anything less than a either a written guarantee that they will cover the cost of getting it 100% right by a local shop or they ship you a new one and pay for return shipping on their hood. You should not be out a dime over the actual cost of what you paid them originally. Just time and aggravation which, unfortunately, you don't get paid for...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm hoping they will just cover the cost for a local shop to repaint.
I didn't pay with a credit card, so I'm not sure the bank would be of much help. I used my debit card, so I'll check to see if they can do anything.

Chris
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oof, online buying 101. NEVER use a debit card. Not only for chargeback/fraud purposes but someone gets ahold of that info and they'll drain your checking.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Oof, online buying 101. NEVER use a debit card.
+1. Though I would extend to never using a debit card, even at brick-and-mortar stores...once the money's out of your bank account, it's gone.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
While attending a car meet over the weekend, when it got dark they turned on the portable lights that were just across from where I was parked and I noticed something strange with my hood. I have the Cervini Cobra R that came preprinted. As you can see in the pics below, the paint is clearly not right. I don't really notice a big difference during the day, but under the portable lights it sticks out like a sore thumb! Everyone walking by noticed and mentioned that the hood didn't match. I have contacted Cervini and opened a claim. I'm waiting to see what they say.
Attachment 188988
Attachment 188989

Chris
There is some more information that some might like to know.

1) When did you purchase the hood? Is it possible you drove or live somewhere were the was a discharge of some type? (Manufacturing Plant that discharged chemicals into the air? A crew doing some type of road work?

2) Your pictures don't add up with your story. You have a 1990 LX 5.0 Convertible listed. I sure know the mustang that Mustang you have showing the paint job isn't a 1990. 2007-2010?

That's the reason your paint doesn't match, you stole someone else's car.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, you got me. I retrofitted the 1990 hood onto my 2014, and I'm just looking for someone to paint it for free.

Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
+1. Though I would extend to never using a debit card, even at brick-and-mortar stores...once the money's out of your bank account, it's gone.
Honestly... I have not had a problem yet using debit at a brick and mortar store but that's good advice. But the only real surefire way to not get hosed is to not use a debit card period. Take cash out from the teller with a bank account number and photo ID and credit card for everything else. Kinda inconvenient in today's world but it is what it is.

I will say that my bank has a really good fraud dept and if the debit card gets hit with something that is legit fraudulent the money gets put back in. Happened to someone else I know that had money vanish and I've even gotten phone calls from them to verify transactions I did were legit. Mostly when I was flying and they would see my card used in my hometown one day and then in Kentucky and then in Texas (example) and they'd flag it and call.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I did not think the front fascia of my 2013 Escape matched the hood and fenders. Granted it was slight and needed the correct light and angle for it to pop differently. I drove it to my trusted body shop and after 5 guys looked at it and had varying opinions; the conclusion drawn was that plastic and metal boy parts very often have a slight difference because of the differences in materials painted. I purchased pre-painted mods from Roush and 3D Carbon with out any problems. Sorry for yours.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about that, being two different types of material. This almost seems as though the metal flake is finer on the hood. The metal flake on the fenders seem courser. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439399056.235539.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	189230

Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I think my guys said something about the refactory quality of the material. What ever the reason, the company has the responsibility to formulate the paint to match the OE color and make the part match. It is not like you pay them at a cut-rate price.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Issue with Cervini Paint

Paint is tricky each car can be a little different. It could also be that when they mixed the paint it could have been just a little bit off then take into consideration paint fade from being outside. And you're hood is the only thing which was painted usually when a vehicle gets a new body part or repair after collision the shop will blend the paint in to the rest of the car to make it match better.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I do understand that there are a lot of variables that come into play here, and I am fine with the hood being "a little off" but when I saw it under those lights the other night, that is not acceptable.

Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldn't bother me. Looks fine in the daylight. Part of buying aftermarket stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

It still should not be as off as it is.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It still should not be as off as it is.
? Pic in my signature

Old 08-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

No I edited my post after I saw like 3 replies in 5 seconds.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I edited my post after I saw like 3 replies in 5 seconds.
I just saw you edited it lol, Thought I was loosing my mind when it refreshed.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Damn should have played along...

Old 08-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Im having a Tru Fiber hood painted SGM as well. The guy who is painting it is having an issue with mine as well. The paint seems to lay down differently on the fiber glass. Also, he said the metallics are a little more difficult as well. This is the second time hes painting it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

That's why it's better to get it painted by a local shop so they can match it with the car present. Even then it'll never be a perfect match. Just my two cents.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

I called about getting my roof repainted silver due to the surface rust spots I repaired and they flat out told me "paint it black or get the whole car re-sprayed". Metallics suck...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing