Paints scratches and swirls - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Paints scratches and swirls

What's the best way to remove light scratching and swirls in my white paint? They're only visible in direct sunlight

2013 mustang v6 premium
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hi Gumbus,

I have a black mustang and out of the blue one day appeared this long scratch on my hood. I tried Meguiar's ScratchX and it didn't do anything except leave additional swirl marks around it so I wouldn't recommend that. If you do try something, I recommend you get it through Amazon Prime so if it doesn't work you can return it for full refund like it did. Would love to hear what you guys on this forum recommend as well. Ultimate compound might be better according to Amazon's reviews, just too afraid to try it unless someone on here recommends it.
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you don't know how to use a buffer you will cause more problems than you fix. Take it a pro
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbus View Post
What's the best way to remove light scratching and swirls in my white paint? They're only visible in direct sunlight

2013 mustang v6 premium
Meguiar's Ultimate compound works amazing along with a dual action polisher. 👍

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have to agree with Kona Blue........I have all the "Griots Garage" polish and buffers etc and they work great....But a great all around polish compound to get out scratches and swirl marks is Meguiars Ultimate Compound
2013 Roush Stage 3 #13-0970, Roush Phase 3 675 HP upgrade. Dynotech 3 1/2 inch Aluminum Driveshaft, Stifflers Driveshaft Safety Loop, JLT Oil Separator, Track Package, X Brace Rear Seat Delete, Roush 20" Hyper Black Wheels, Roush trunk tool kit
Scotty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

IF you have a good Random Orbital Buffer and IF you know how to use it, and IF you have the right pads for each of these products, you cannot beat the finish you will be left with.

Start with the Cutting Compound, and you will scare yourself, as you will be left with a very hazy surface. Go to the Swirl Mark Remover (and if the swirls on your paint are very shallow, you can also try starting with this), and finally the Ultrafina will bring your paint back to perfect............then of course, you are going to need to carefully wax or seal your paint.
Collinite 845 is very good for this.

Use only a very little bit of this on each panel, and use only fore and aft motions on horizontal surfaces, and up and down motions on vertical panels.....are you sorry you asked yet?
If you do enjoy this kind of thing, it truly is a Zen experience --- if all you can think is.......BOY! That's more work than I ever want to go to....take it to the detail expert, and cough up the $400 for a really professional job.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Kona is right. Ultimate Compound is great !!! I use it every 3-4 months & it keeps my car like new & I park outdoors. It also works to clean Head lights.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sand paper OUCH!

You would think you would ruin your finish. Follow directions and you see that it works wonders. This it what they use at final paint inspection at the factories. Sounds crazy. Ferraries, Bentlies, Porche, Vettes U name. Summit. com has 2000 to 6000 grit on bits with a foam pad U just peal off the backing and they adhere to the pad. I think I used 5000 grit. 5 or 6 in a box for $10.00 free shipping. I used water on my brand new car, than McGuiaers swirl remover. Just take your time read all the instructions. There U go U just saved a bunch of money!!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Seriously? Sandpaper? Boy, talk about needing to know what you are doing!!!!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
guard 5.0 has shiniest car on planet.
-I went to Autozone last week to pick up some rags, asked the guy working there what product did he think is best for final wax coating.
He said he uses Armoral on his cars paint, works great. I laughed real loud, he just stared.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm not kidding you. What your doing is refinishing the clear coat, as long as you don't over do it your fine. Go on line and order 5000 grit one sheet tear off a 2 inch square. In your trunk or door jamb spot only U can see try it. As long as it's shiny there (clear coated) Wet sand it just like the guys that wear the big boy pants! It took me many cars and years to learn these little tricks.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Most new paint jobs have been clipped(water sanded) and buffed before you ever see the car. Only way to go for that "look"
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sandpaper...Actually it's called Polishing Paper once it's over 3000 Grit. 5000 Grit is way too fine. I used 3000 Grit. You can buy 8"x10" sheets of it at any Jewelry Supply Store for about $1.00 per sheet. They use it to polish jewelry it's so fine. But I only resort to this if the Ultimate Compound didn't work because the scratches were too deep.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Have to agree with meguires. I like the small polisher that attaches to your drill too. I use 2000 grit to smooth out fills (stone chip hit with touch up paint). Then go to compound. Good info but if you're nervous to try it, start with the finest and work backwards. It'll take more time but might make you more comfortable with the process.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My suggestion is to go over to Adamsproducts.com and view the videos they have. Especially the ones on their polishing and sealing. I would also recommend that when washing your car follow the two bucket method.
It really works.
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ya know, I do a lot of stuff with my cars as far as mods go, but anything paint related, I leave that crap to the pros lol.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check out Zaino. Fills in swirls. Google it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
COYOTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For light scratches and swirls I have always used Scratch X scratch remover with a microfiber cloth and elbow grease, it has always worked great for me.
Vicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #19

Region: Louisiana
My sins are great - I took my blue Sexy through a Snappy Car Wash - swirls e'er'wur.

Meguiar's Ultimate a good idea?
Evil.Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil.Inc View Post
My sins are great - I took my blue Sexy through a Snappy Car Wash - swirls e'er'wur.

Meguiar's Ultimate a good idea?
You always want to use the least aggressive polish that you can get away with. Here's a list of Meguiar's products. Least agressive on the left and more aggressive as it moves to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meguiars.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	195719  
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

Thanks sid719e!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I had a couple light scratches on my rear bumper show up after my trip to California so I bought some turtle wax scratch remover. You can laugh at me if you want but it was $2.97 and guess what, it worked for being an inferior product to others mentioned. I used one side of the microfiber towel to apply compound and the other side with some elbow grease to wipe off.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
You always want to use the least aggressive polish that you can get away with. Here's a list of Meguiar's products. Least agressive on the left and more aggressive as it moves to the right.
Not to be slow, but was looking for some clarification from the more experienced before I start pouring chemicals/scratching a surface.

I've attached some pics; obviously the spiderwebbing/swirling is not super noticeable unless one is up close or looking for them. Would I need to stay on the Glaze to Cleaner/Wax side more, or go aggressive with the product choice?

(all application will be done by hand. Not worried about wearing out/tiring, and don't have a power outlet anywhere near where I'll be servicing the vehicle)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0884.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	845.4 KB
ID:	195744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0885.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	899.5 KB
ID:	195745  

Name:	IMAG0887.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	195746  
Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Those don't look deep at all, I would definitely just try some scratch removal compound by hand first.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil.Inc View Post
(all application will be done by hand. Not worried about wearing out/tiring, and don't have a power outlet anywhere near where I'll be servicing the vehicle)
When working by hand be careful of the pressure of your finger tips. As a matter of fact, don't use your finger tips, lay your fingers flat against the pad and work that way. I've always had really good results with Scratch-X, but use Ultimate Polish first, and if that doesn't give you the results you're looking for, go with Scratch-X. If you like those results, use that and then follow that up with Ultimate Polish. Also, make sure you're not doing it on a hot vehicle or in direct sunlight when it's hot.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't go any courser than a polish. Different brands can call their product what they want but generally, cutting compound is more course than rubbing compound is more course than polishing compound. I believe scratch X is a polishing compound.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
When working by hand be careful of the pressure of your finger tips. As a matter of fact, don't use your finger tips, lay your fingers flat against the pad and work that way. I've always had really good results with Scratch-X, but use Ultimate Polish first, and if that doesn't give you the results you're looking for, go with Scratch-X. If you like those results, use that and then follow that up with Ultimate Polish. Also, make sure you're not doing it on a hot vehicle or in direct sunlight when it's hot.
Great advice!!
COYOTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
I wouldn't go any courser than a polish. Different brands can call their product what they want but generally, cutting compound is more course than rubbing compound is more course than polishing compound. I believe scratch X is a polishing compound.
I've always had very good results with Scratch X, and even better when following up with Ultimate Polish.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've always had very good results with Scratch X, and even better when following up with Ultimate Polish.
So scratch X is more abrasive/course than ultimate polish? Good to know.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
So scratch X is more abrasive/course than ultimate polish? Good to know.
Yes it is. There are so many products out there though. I just happen to stick with Meguiar's. This is a really good site for detailing info:

Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

As well as this one:

Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
Old 03-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #31

Swirl marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryVeryEvilGuy View Post
Hi Gumbus,
I have a 2013 swirl marks on sides and hood in the sun called Autogeek in Stuart fl ask for Andre he hooked me up with a orbital buffer and swirl remover I had never done this before but you can't see any swirl marks now
Tell him James with the black 2013 mustang sent you. You will be amazed

I have a black mustang and out of the blue one day appeared this long scratch on my hood. I tried Meguiar's ScratchX and it didn't do anything except leave additional swirl marks around it so I wouldn't recommend that. If you do try something, I recommend you get it through Amazon Prime so if it doesn't work you can return it for full refund like it did. Would love to hear what you guys on this forum recommend as well. Ultimate compound might be better according to Amazon's reviews, just too afraid to try it unless someone on here recommends it.
Jcable101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing