rear ended - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
rear ended

so long story short, i got rear ended. its not bad but i want it fixed. reason why I'm on here is because the dude that rear ended me didn't have insurance. when it all happened we talked and agreed on him either taking my car to a shop to get it fixed, taking it to ford, or just ordering a new rear bumper. so basically my question is whats the easiest and best option for me? i know going to ford would be the answer but before you say that keep in mind that my ec isn't exactly within warranty. i have a off rode downpipe with a cutout welded on the downpipe, so idk if that would mean that ford won't be able to work on my car. i think it shouldn't cause the dudes gonna be paying for parts and labor. wouldn't just getting a new bumper and getting it painted be a lot easier? and i can just have my mechanic install the new bumper, i wouldn't mind. ill be putting up pics in just a second.
andyx5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

here they are.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3410.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	193406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	193407  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

if getting a new bumper would be easier, post any sites that would sell oem rear bumpers.

this is one site I've found. I'm assuming the bumper is unpainted so he would have to buy it and get it color matched with my car, oxford white.

BUMPER COVER for 2015 Ford Mustang|FR3Z-17K835-AB
Old 11-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Why are you trying to save the guy who hit you money? Get it fixed right at a certified body shop. You have insurance for uninsured motorist, right? Ask him to pay your deductible and get it fixed as if it was new.
I'd be willing to bet you 10 to 1 that when it comes time to pay up for whatever you decide to do, he develops a severe case of amnesia.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

wouldn't going through my insurance mess with my rates? if it doesn't then ill be doing that. i haven't been through this so I'm trying to learn whats best for me.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx5oh View Post
wouldn't going through my insurance mess with my rates? if it doesn't then ill be doing that. i haven't been through this so I'm trying to learn whats best for me.
That depends on what your driving/accident history is and how long you've been with your current insurance company. If you've been with them for years, and this is your first claim in a long time, there should be no additional penalty on your rates.
If you have $1000 deductible, I'd suggest doing this out of pocket and hoping the other driver will pay.
It does not look like the bumper needs replacing and can be repainted.....but a good body shop is also going to check for any damage underneath the bumper that could cost lots of extra $$'s. There is a crush zone underneath the bumpers, and if the outside deformed significantly when you were hit, then the supporting structure is going to need to be replaced as well. If that is the case, let your insurance handle it.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
That depends on what your driving/accident history is and how long you've been with your current insurance company. If you've been with them for years, and this is your first claim in a long time, there should be no additional penalty on your rates.
If you have $1000 deductible, I'd suggest doing this out of pocket and hoping the other driver will pay.
It does not look like the bumper needs replacing and can be repainted.....but a good body shop is also going to check for any damage underneath the bumper that could cost lots of extra $$'s. There is a crush zone underneath the bumpers, and if the outside deformed significantly when you were hit, then the supporting structure is going to need to be replaced as well. If that is the case, let your insurance handle it.
I'm under insurance with my pops, and we haven't had a claim filed. he's had this insurance for many years. my deductible is $500 and I've talked to the guy already and he's willing to pay that. and yes i can see where that could come into place.

so if i go through my insurance their might be a chance that my rates will go up? i might just call my insurance and see if they will. if they do I'm just gonna go to a certified shop and have them fix the bumper. no point in going through my insurance if rates will go up and guy is willing to pay.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If the guy is willing to pay, don't waste your time dealing with your insurance company. Putting in a claim for something that small isn't worth it.
DiESeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

My son just had to have his rear bumper repainted on his brand new WRX. Three step pearl blue, no additional damage underneath, and they charged him $800.
The plastic bumpers can be repaired and repainted, and my son's turned out a better match than the factory did.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

hmm ok. might have to go that route then. cause i was taking a look at my insurance docs and i have to file all these other docs just for that. it would be hard too cause my pops doesn't live in cali, parents live in Chicago.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you made police report just file un-insured motorist. Will not affect your rates and you won't have any deductable. Or go to ford dealer and get estimate show perp get cash. If he wont do this get his tag number and file report for leaving scene, will cost this dude a lot more than fixing your car. Think about the next time he wrecks someone, may injure someone with no way to pay for their medical cost, or worse kill someone. He's why your insurance cost you so much
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Regardless on what you decide to do, you need to contact your insurance company. Most states require you to file a report with your BMV or DMV to proof that you have insurance. The insurance company doesn't have to pay you if you don't report the accident. Did he give you his driver's license to look at?

Got his name with DOB? He may not have a license, so why would he have insurance if it's his car?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
just a fyi for future/others. ALWAYS file a police report. I had someone back into me in a parking lot who said they would fix it but then claimed I rear ended them. It was long time ago and I'm still po'd

Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
just a fyi for future/others. ALWAYS file a police report. I had someone back into me in a parking lot who said they would fix it but then claimed I rear ended them. It was long time ago and I'm still po'd

Exactly I got rear-ended by an uninsured motorcyclist a few years ago and he begged to not call the cops. They came I got my report and I notified my insurance. My insurance company later went after him for the repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Andy I see your in Oxnard I live here too I suggest you take it to Maaco Collision and repair on Wooley and commercial and get an estimate they do really good work, I taken a couple of cars there and have always received good service and great job on their paint and body work, or if your going thru your insurance take it to Tony's body shop on Lambert st they always use OEM parts and do really good work if you need more then getting it repainted and body work done.
1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
rear ended

I wouldn't take a bicycle to Maaco. Maybe they're different where you live but down here its bottom of the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing