Different-Colored Hood/side scoops and spoiler - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Different-Colored Hood/side scoops and spoiler

I want to put a GT hood scoop on my '01, but instead of mineral grey matching the body coat, I was thinking black. Thoughts?

Here's the part:Mustang GT Style Hood Scoop - Pre-painted (99-04 GT; 99-02 V6; 01 Bullitt) - Free Shipping and it's the black UA paint code. I also plan on putting a black GT pedestal spoiler on, and black GT side scoops. Does anybody think the black will go well with the mineral grey?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/paint...iler-9904.html
Mustang GT Style Side Scoops - Pre-painted (99-04 All) - Free Shipping

I really want to pull the trigger on this hood scoop
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
I want to put a GT hood scoop on my '01, but instead of mineral grey matching the body coat, I was thinking black. Thoughts?

Here's the part:Mustang GT Style Hood Scoop - Pre-painted (99-04 GT; 99-02 V6; 01 Bullitt) - Free Shipping and it's the black UA paint code. I also plan on putting a black GT pedestal spoiler on, and black GT side scoops. Does anybody think the black will go well with the mineral grey?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/paint...iler-9904.html
Mustang GT Style Side Scoops - Pre-painted (99-04 All) - Free Shipping

I really want to pull the trigger on this hood scoop
I've never actually seen black on mineral but I think it would look pretty good as long as there's little more black on the car like the rear spoiler and maybe some decals.

Now I'll be forward and I think black side scoops might break up the lines of the car a little bit. I'm not sure what the car looks like right now but if you were going to throw some black/matte black rocker stripes on it I think they'd mesh then.

Some of the graphics I think would work nicely would be a lower valance decal and insert letters:

Taking it a step further throw a decklid panel on the back too!

Just some ideas here - Sorry to get off track but let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I've seen exactly what you are describing. The first thought that came to mind was how cheap it looked. Not as bad as plasti dipping said parts, but didn't flow well at all either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
I've never actually seen black on mineral but I think it would look pretty good as long as there's little more black on the car like the rear spoiler and maybe some decals.

Now I'll be forward and I think black side scoops might break up the lines of the car a little bit. I'm not sure what the car looks like right now but if you were going to throw some black/matte black rocker stripes on it I think they'd mesh then.

Some of the graphics I think would work nicely would be a lower valance decal and insert letters:

Taking it a step further throw a decklid panel on the back too!

Just some ideas here - Sorry to get off track but let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help.

Alex
I think that's what I've settled on mostly. I bought a rear valance insert, smoked taillights, and bumper inserts. I think I'll also get the honeycomb when I have the money. Thanks Alex!
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I've seen exactly what you are describing. The first thought that came to mind was how cheap it looked. Not as bad as plasti dipping said parts, but didn't flow well at all either.

Huh, that's interesting. Cheap how? I have no clue how it would look as an ensemble, so I'm just going to focus on giving the back some flair, but I still think the black hood scoop might look okay. I don't have my heart set on one thing or the other

Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I've seen a few cars with the hood and side scoops blacked out against the body color. To me it doesn't flow as well as you would think. The pieces are too big and just look out of place with a larger surface area of body color surrounding them.

I have seen it on performance red, zinc yellow and a couple blues (azure/sonic). Haven't seen it on DSG or mineral grey but I imagine it look the same.

I do think the options Alex from AM gave you are great to wake up the rear a bit. Just don't overdo it, I'd go with either the lower valence and the letters, or the decklid and the letters, but not all three. Also, the Mach 1 styled hood stripe that goes in front of the hood scoop looks good too.

Again this is purely my opinion, everyone's tastes are different.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I dropped my side louvers and scoops, painted hood vents and mirrors in black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0229.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	197723  
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Hmmm no plasti dipping huh...lol to each their own

2002 Mustang GT, Trick Flow plenum, eibach lowering springs, BBK catted x-pipe, for now.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1456962294365.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	197768   Click image for larger version

Name:	1456962310004.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	197769  

Vinnie02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing