For the pro dippers/dipyourcar ppl - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For the pro dippers/dipyourcar ppl

I know I need to get my car running first and that is most important but while I'm waiting on my cams to come back and bored at work... been looking at other things I'm looking to do and taking care of the exterior is one of them.

The Dipyourcar.com kits look like they are pretty user friendly and I'm not saying I'd do a perfect job the first (or even 5th) time but... I mean it looks like its pretty easy all things considered.

Anyone want to chime in with experiences or input or anything? Seeing a pro-dipped BMW in person is what sold me on dip being a viable "not rice" option which was my opinion for awhile.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Stick with the solid colors and its easier than shooting primer. Use light coats and don't try for full coverage each coat. Your first coat should be really light. Once it sets it gives the following coats something to stick to.

Moving to the clears and pearls, more skill is involved. Stripes, pain the butt if you do traditional body paint. And you can make this as complicated as you want. There are so e really really impressive paint jobs in dip. And except for the matte black, a lot of basic jobs dont look like anything but paint. And even lamborghini is doing matte paint now.

And if you mess up a panel, let it dry and start over. Fixing an issues is a lot harder and will drive you nuts. Order more material than you plan on using, just in case.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

My car is metallic silver with a ****ed up roof. Bare metal in a few spots that I need to just shoot with primer to cover up and seal. Will dip have a problem sticking to sanded primer?

What I would want to do is just silver aluminum or whatever that color is. Then maybe a few coats of metalizer and then a few coats of clear. Basically what they do in the video where they take that POS red Civic and turn it silver. Minus the ghetto vinyl rust bubble covering lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
My car is metallic silver with a ****ed up roof. Bare metal in a few spots that I need to just shoot with primer to cover up and seal. Will dip have a problem sticking to sanded primer?

What I would want to do is just silver aluminum or whatever that color is. Then maybe a few coats of metalizer and then a few coats of clear. Basically what they do in the video where they take that POS red Civic and turn it silver. Minus the ghetto vinyl rust bubble covering lol.

I watched a dip your car video and he demonstrated dip over primer and it was no big deal. Worked just the same.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
It will stick fine, probably better than to the paint. I've shot chrome with 0 adhesion issues. All 4 wheels below have a chrome outer section and you wouldn't know. I had 2 get new tires and I had shot over the weights. Besides where the weights were removed the rest stuck completely.

The mustang I just did had a few spots of raw body filler (I peeled a couple times) where I filled the factory badge location holes. It stuck like crazy to the body filler compared to the paint. Primer is less smooth than the paint so it should adhere very well.

Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok that's really good to know. Think I am going to spray bomb the roof with black dip temporarily just to seal it up. I'll get a dip nozzle. Who knows if it comes out ok I might leave it for a bit. Then get the damn thing running and driving and then make it look boss. If I find I am ok at it I might try to do black accents on the hood and side.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get a can of the color you really want. Then practice with that. The dip nozzle is pretty good but you have to practice with that too. Indy is right with pearls/metalics. Take your time with those, i did a quater panel on my SGM in sapphire blue, took forever, but liked the way it looked. Will be ordering those pearls when I get the CA approved kit. Like others have said, dont like it? Peel it off. Have fun with it.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah that's kind of what is selling me on it. I don't like it I can peel it and start over. Hell I could change the color up every spring if I wanted lol.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
My first dip turned out much better than I thought. Prep is the key, easily takes 3-4 hours just to get it perfectly clean

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Now I have a second. Regular gallons and colored pearls aren't difficult to get correct. Practice the pattern a few times and it's easy. This goes for matte or glossifier.

I would categorize white pearls and top coat together. Both take more time to master and if you try them full scale on a car first it won't make you happy.

I change the color of my cars on an annual basis. Cheap fun to me.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Like everyone said solid colors are easiest. Prep is the most important. Cleaning the car isn't bad but spend time taping everything properly. This will matter the most around areas that won't self cut. Also when you go to remove the dip if you don't tape properly you will have over spray In all the gaps between panels on your car which is difficult to remove.

Also practice spraying coats correctly first. First couple coats should be light but final coats should fully cover the panel so the dip will dry smooth and not be textured. Let me know if you have any specific questions about application and prep.

Truck has the front grill, bumper, and real bumper dipped. My last mustang was full body minus mirrors, hood, and truck lid. Mercedes has the front grill dipped around chrome and rear spoiler dipped. Notice the close up of the texture and how smooth it is. And of course it peels easy and protects the paint underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458863868.767231.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	198715Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458863910.485721.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	198716Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458863995.410744.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	198717Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458864016.738347.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	198718Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458864064.090298.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	198719

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing