Cleaning gloss black wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Cleaning gloss black wheels

Hey everyone,

I just got a set of gloss black wheels and I was wondering how to keep them looking nice from the start. Do I just wash them as I would wash the car? I was thinking about buying some sort of wheel cleaner that pulls off most of the dirt and brake dust to use before going over it with the wash mitt. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just wash it like I wash my car. If I'm Lazy, I'll spray some quick detailer all over them and wipe them down.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
wax them inside & outside every time you rotate tires. This is the key as it makes them easy to clean.

I stay away from wheel cleaner as it can be corrosive also dedicate a wash mitt to them as they will have lots of brake dust/road grime on them
Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alright cool. I was planning on picking up a mitt just for them this weekend(wheels aren't on the car yet).

Old 05-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had that same question awhile back, and asked if brake dust shields would be a possibility, but didn't get much as far as replies are concerned. I used some spray armor all, as was suggested by a few people, but didn't notice much difference as far as repelling some of the dust. What about a power wash?
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I clean mine like normal with the rest of the car. Brake dust on gloss black is a ***** tho... it's inevitable, and builds up quickly. I keep my ride lightly detailed every weekend.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I wash after car and use terry rag to keep the dirt from them separate but yes, I wash just like a car. Black wheels look good but they are work lol.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
I had that same question awhile back, and asked if brake dust shields would be a possibility, but didn't get much as far as replies are concerned. I used some spray armor all, as was suggested by a few people, but didn't notice much difference as far as repelling some of the dust. What about a power wash?
I don't like dust shields or anything that might interfere with brake cooling.

Most of the dust is iron particles coming from disc wear and these get embedded in the wheel's paint clear-coat. Detail clay bar works well on painted wheels to pull out iron. The wheel cleaners that turn red are reacting with iron too but I don't trust the chemicals not to fade the calipers or wheels over time.

Haven't tried a power wash but should be ok with a low pressure. I alway drive after cleaning wheels to dry off brake pads - I'm old-school
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the wheels I have on it right now are matte black, so I know the pain. But my main concern was keeping the finish on these nice. There's a lot of construction around here, so my car gets dirty fast so I wash often. I'll just make sure to clean them good and give them some wax every now and then to protect the paint.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Gloss black wheels like black paint is going to be difficult NOT to scratch or have scratches show. The best thing you can do is minimize the fine scratches and swirl marks whenever you touch the wheels.

On my chrome Roush wheels I use a Wheel Woolies brand Boar's Hair wheel brush to wash the wheel faces. The bristles are extremely fine and soft; you will not find a gentler wheel brush out there. You can gently agitate the dirt using nothing more than pH neutral car shampoo and rinse away. A store bought wheel brush won't do, the nylon bristles are too harsh. I also used it on my gloss black factory California Special wheels too with great results. I'm nuts about car detailing and it's the bees knees, trust me

(pic from Google Images, but here's what it looks like)

Wheel Woolies Boar�s Hair Wheel Brush
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your wheels have bigger and fewer spokes than the ones I have with the PP (2015 GT), makes it much easier to clean.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing