Opinion on new paint issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Opinion on new paint issue

Hey mustang community,

I bought a 2016 mustang gt in black which had 400 miles on it, the car was never titled and therefore is was still considered a 'new' car. The previous owner had the car for a week and apparently changed his mind about the color and wanted to go with an orange. When i test drove the car and took a good look at it i wasn't able to tell that the car was covered in holograms and swirls. Upon delivery of the car after all of the paperwork etc. the car was washed and holy crap there were many swirls and holograms on it, the entire hood is covered in the holograms which means that someone buffed the crap out of new paint using a fairly aggressive combo of pad and compound, plus the person did not clay and/or use a clean pad for the job resulting in the swirl marks all over the car. The sales person agreed on the paint damage and told me to come back and said 'well take care of it'. Well i went back a week later to and after discussing the whole situation with the body shop guy at the dealership and the best he could do is 'to put a thick coating of wax on it'. I told him that wax would only hide the blemishes rather than actually fix them. He stood his ground and kept using the arguments that claying and polishing the car would only cause more swirl marks. I got so sick and tired of arguing with this guy and agreed with the waxing because the car is going in the shop tomorrow anyways because the adhesive on the real decklid panel is showing and it appears to be loose. Now i wanted to polish the car myself now with a really light polish and pad to see if this would improve the finish, but someone obviously went ham on this paint before me and i am not sure if there is even enough clear coat left for me to polish. Should a get the paints thickness tested and base my decision on that? Should i ask for a refund on the car and just get a new one? Does the florida lemon law protect me against cases like this one? What should i do i need some opinions. Thanks
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
unless the "we'll take care of it" is in writing or the dealer is willing to take care of it and you already know they are not (try again polite and firm) you are on your own.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Tell them to fix it right or take the car back. Being a dealership I wouldn't expect too much from them. Reason why people call them stealership and rip off center.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Tell them to fix it right or take the car back. Being a dealership I wouldn't expect too much from them. Reason why people call them stealership and rip off center.

Respect the classics.
Yes this was my first time dealing with a stealership and probably my last time, i used to just buy cars on CL but i just love the new s550's. I will do an IPA wipe down before i take the car there tomorrow so that they can see the full extend of the damage. Wish me luck.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Yeah, hope they'll fix it right for you. If not just leave the car there, and find another S550 somewhere else.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Region: Arkansas
I'd take her back sadly, black paint is just something you want to get in exponential condition, they should for sure do something about it or take it back cause that's some bs if I've ever heard of it. Any updates on your decision?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
apjones252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjones252 View Post
I'd take her back sadly, black paint is just something you want to get in exponential condition, they should for sure do something about it or take it back cause that's some bs if I've ever heard of it. Any updates on your decision?

Well they polished the paint but i am still not satisfied with the result, still has light holograms and crazy swirl marks. Going back tomorrow to see what they have to say to the result because i picked up the car in really ****ty weather i wasn't able to fully tell if the paint correction worked or not. stay tuned!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #8

Damn fersher wish the best

Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #9

Hey what happened man? Any news on the car?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey what happened man? Any news on the car?

Hey sorry totally forgot about this thread, well they tried to fix it twice and were only capable of removing the buffing holograms and the heavy swirls. I cant keep coming back to them to fix the paint since i need the car almost everyday for work and school. Still has swirl marks but not as bad anymore. I am just going to put a glaze on it to hide the blemishes and then seal the paint and call it a day. Tired of dealing with these dealerships.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

I feel it. Sounds like a good plan with what your given there to work with. Dealerships are always difficult. Did they refund you any money or anything for the inconvenience

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I feel it. Sounds like a good plan with what your given there to work with. Dealerships are always difficult. Did they refund you any money or anything for the inconvenience

Yes they gave me a tank of gas because i live 45 min from there and i get about 15 mpg lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #13

Damn they suck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing