Headlight Condensation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Headlight Condensation

My 02 GT is a sponge. Every night the headlights fill with condensation. I have pulled and dried them. I have sealed the lights.

Maybe I should add a few fish and say they are an aquarium.





Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My 02 GT is a sponge. Every night the headlights fill with condensation. I have pulled and dried them. I have sealed the lights.

Maybe I should add a few fish and say they are an aquarium.





Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Your seal is bad. Drill a small hole in an area in the lens no one will notice. On the side somewhere and the air will dry the condensation out. I had the same issue on my wife's vehicle

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Your seal is bad. Drill a small hole in an area in the lens no one will notice. On the side somewhere and the air will dry the condensation out. I had the same issue on my wife's vehicle

Just a near stock 3.7
It can't hurt to try.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
I swear mine have a breather tube on the backside. It may just be the aftermarket ones I have on there. I'll look at both in the morning and get back to ya. Hell if you have the determination I have a set of oem lights, they are in need of a serious polishing though. It's weird that the oem tails I have sitting in the garage look brand new, and the headlights look 500 years old. Guess that just goes with being in the front vs the rear.

"Insert clever phase here"
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I swear mine have a breather tube on the backside. It may just be the aftermarket ones I have on there. I'll look at both in the morning and get back to ya. Hell if you have the determination I have a set of oem lights, they are in need of a serious polishing though. It's weird that the oem tails I have sitting in the garage look brand new, and the headlights look 500 years old. Guess that just goes with being in the front vs the rear.

"Insert clever phase here"
It only takes a second to pull the light out and look. I am just wrapping up for the night. I will have to take a look tomorrow. I may not look until I meet up with you depending on how my morning goes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
wmschoonover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Owensboro
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 562
Could you try some of those desiccant things you get with electronics that absorb moisture?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
Get on CL and find a nice set of 01-04 OEM headlights and swap them. Done.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Here are the oe lights. One breather tube on each side.

"Insert clever phase here"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464272117434.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	201567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464272131471.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	201568  

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Here are the oe lights. One breather tube on each side.

"Insert clever phase here"
Breather tubes are a positive. That gives me something to look forward to finding once I pull the lights out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get on CL and find a nice set of 01-04 OEM headlights and swap them. Done.
Scotty, that is a great idea. Unfortunately at the moment I have to repair what I have in the best way possible.

To be completely honest, I am trying to take care of my parents, my wife's grandparents, and my own children. Add in a grad degree that is not fully covered by grants and I am working on a budget that is balanced on a razor's edge.

Not to venture off topic, but there are a ton of things I want and need for the car. I actually have a list. Right now those wants and needs have to wait until a few things change.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Scotty, that is a great idea. Unfortunately at the moment I have to repair what I have in the best way possible.

To be completely honest, I am trying to take care of my parents, my wife's grandparents, and my own children. Add in a grad degree that is not fully covered by grants and I am working on a budget that is balanced on a razor's edge.

Not to venture off topic, but there are a ton of things I want and need for the car. I actually have a list. Right now those wants and needs have to wait until a few things change.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Check out one of the local pull a parts. You should be able to pick up a set on the cheap, though they very rarely have new edges. Once in a blue moon. But for a few bucks if you do find one it may be worth it.

"Insert clever phase here"
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Check out one of the local pull a parts. You should be able to pick up a set on the cheap, though they very rarely have new edges. Once in a blue moon. But for a few bucks if you do find one it may be worth it.

"Insert clever phase here"
The salvage yard parts for our cars are definitely rare.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
I have learned that salvage yard finds are normally destroyed, decayed, or just plain trash for late model cars. Plastic and tinfoil doesn't hold up like the real steel predecessors that once ran the streets.

Getting my Mustang into the shape I want may take a bit of time, but it will get there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,610
I just saw a set for $60 on my CL locally. The AM replicas are $100 I think and quality is good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I just saw a set for $60 on my CL locally. The AM replicas are $100 I think and quality is good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's something to look into. Thank you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
I pulled the lights and made sure there was nothing blocking the vent tubes. All was clear.

I resealed everything again just to see what happens. We are supposed to get a lot of rain this week, so I will either have dry lights or aquariums.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lamer
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 10
Maybe the leak is where the bulbs twist into. Check the o-rings around the bulb sockets


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Maher.Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher.Lamer View Post
Maybe the leak is where the bulbs twist into. Check the o-rings around the bulb sockets


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
They appeared to be good, but I won't know for certain until the monsoon leaves after this week.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #19
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lamer
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
They appeared to be good, but I won't know for certain until the monsoon leaves after this week.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
just fill the whole lightbulb with water and see where it leaks from. after its sealed, make sure all the water is dried out of the headlight otherwise it'll condense again from the water alrdy in it
Maher.Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher.Lamer View Post
just fill the whole lightbulb with water and see where it leaks from. after its sealed, make sure all the water is dried out of the headlight otherwise it'll condense again from the water alrdy in it
Just add goldfish.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
At this point I am just entertained. You may be amused as well. Last night I walked past my car and as usual the headlights were filled with condensation. For the most part I have given up. I will eventually put enough pennies together to buy a new set from AM. The pair of own factory black are only $119. I just paid for another quarter of school, books, etc (I'm a musician, and I am perpetually broke). The headlights have to wait.

What was so entertaining? It rained for two hours non stop today. As soon as the rain stopped I walked outside to see whether or not my lights had become a rain gauge. Oddly, the lights are dry inside.

I apparently own a pair of condensation vacuums. It must be a feature Ford offers. My truck lights don't collect water. The Jeep lights also stay dry.


Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
At this point I am just entertained. You may be amused as well. Last night I walked past my car and as usual the headlights were filled with condensation. For the most part I have given up. I will eventually put enough pennies together to buy a new set from AM. The pair of own factory black are only $119. I just paid for another quarter of school, books, etc (I'm a musician, and I am perpetually broke). The headlights have to wait.

What was so entertaining? It rained for two hours non stop today. As soon as the rain stopped I walked outside to see whether or not my lights had become a rain gauge. Oddly, the lights are dry inside.

I apparently own a pair of condensation vacuums. It must be a feature Ford offers. My truck lights don't collect water. The Jeep lights also stay dry.


Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Okay, I'll come clean. When your not looking I spray water up the breather tubes just to mess with you.

"Insert clever phase here"
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Okay, I'll come clean. When your not looking I spray water up the breather tubes just to mess with you.

"Insert clever phase here"
That would be hilarious.

I'm sealing everything with blue RTV. Now I can see if I miss a spot.

Now I have to find a way to cover the blue that can be seen if this works. I am hoping this round of sealer is a success. I am tired of water filled headlights.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
The rain itself is not the cause for condensation in your lights, but the change in temp or humidity that's causing it between the outside and inside temps of the headlight housing. Its often that a resealing of the lens cover or surround that helps prevent the difference in temps that prevents this.

Are these factory or aftermarket headlight buckets?

Another trick you could try for now is to take one of those packets that come with a medicine container or packaging that absorbs moisture (desiccant packets) and place one of these inside the housing (insert it through the bulb hole, but attach a string to it so you can pull it out). See if that will control the moisture until you have enough for a replacement set.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The rain itself is not the cause for condensation in your lights, but the change in temp or humidity that's causing it between the outside and inside temps of the headlight housing. Its often that a resealing of the lens cover or surround that helps prevent the difference in temps that prevents this.

Are these factory or aftermarket headlight buckets?

Another trick you could try for now is to take one of those packets that come with a medicine container or packaging that absorbs moisture (desiccant packets) and place one of these inside the housing (insert it through the bulb hole, but attach a string to it so you can pull it out). See if that will control the moisture until you have enough for a replacement set.
I resealed everything again. I used blue RTV in order to see each and every space. If it looked like a a gap existed I filled it. If the lenses stay dry over the next day or so I will pull the housings and spray the blue in order to keep it from showing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
So far it appears that I have won the headlight condensation war. I may have gotten lucky.

The blue RTV looks like crap though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Project Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aiken
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
So far it appears that I have won the headlight condensation war. I may have gotten lucky.

The blue RTV looks like crap though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Sounds like you traded one annoyance for another. Can you take a razor blade and shave down any excess silicone and paint it? Text me a pic when you get a chance.

"Insert clever phase here"
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Project Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
I'm going to see what I can make happen. Shoot me a text if you're off this weekend. I may run across the Savannah River if you're available.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Augusta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 3,158
So far I have not accumulated any more condensation. The enormous amount of RTV may have bought me a little time on a light replacement.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/C Condensation? Daytona 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 2 05-23-2013 08:02 PM
Catch Can and Condensation - I hope CloudsInMyCoffe 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 8 02-16-2013 05:57 PM
Condensation in headlights? SkateMoreDvs89 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 10 12-28-2012 10:37 AM
Condensation Problem tcdavis66 1979-1995 Mustang GT 8 12-26-2011 11:25 AM
Condensation in Lights Donny67 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 2 01-18-2008 03:24 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:53 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.