Headlight Condensation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Headlight Condensation

My 02 GT is a sponge. Every night the headlights fill with condensation. I have pulled and dried them. I have sealed the lights.

Maybe I should add a few fish and say they are an aquarium.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My 02 GT is a sponge. Every night the headlights fill with condensation. I have pulled and dried them. I have sealed the lights.

Maybe I should add a few fish and say they are an aquarium.

Your seal is bad. Drill a small hole in an area in the lens no one will notice. On the side somewhere and the air will dry the condensation out. I had the same issue on my wife's vehicle

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Your seal is bad. Drill a small hole in an area in the lens no one will notice. On the side somewhere and the air will dry the condensation out. I had the same issue on my wife's vehicle

Just a near stock 3.7
It can't hurt to try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I swear mine have a breather tube on the backside. It may just be the aftermarket ones I have on there. I'll look at both in the morning and get back to ya. Hell if you have the determination I have a set of oem lights, they are in need of a serious polishing though. It's weird that the oem tails I have sitting in the garage look brand new, and the headlights look 500 years old. Guess that just goes with being in the front vs the rear.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 05-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
I swear mine have a breather tube on the backside. It may just be the aftermarket ones I have on there. I'll look at both in the morning and get back to ya. Hell if you have the determination I have a set of oem lights, they are in need of a serious polishing though. It's weird that the oem tails I have sitting in the garage look brand new, and the headlights look 500 years old. Guess that just goes with being in the front vs the rear.

It only takes a second to pull the light out and look. I am just wrapping up for the night. I will have to take a look tomorrow. I may not look until I meet up with you depending on how my morning goes.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Could you try some of those desiccant things you get with electronics that absorb moisture?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get on CL and find a nice set of 01-04 OEM headlights and swap them. Done.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the oe lights. One breather tube on each side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464272117434.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	201567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464272131471.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	201568  

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here are the oe lights. One breather tube on each side.

Breather tubes are a positive. That gives me something to look forward to finding once I pull the lights out.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get on CL and find a nice set of 01-04 OEM headlights and swap them. Done.
Scotty, that is a great idea. Unfortunately at the moment I have to repair what I have in the best way possible.

To be completely honest, I am trying to take care of my parents, my wife's grandparents, and my own children. Add in a grad degree that is not fully covered by grants and I am working on a budget that is balanced on a razor's edge.

Not to venture off topic, but there are a ton of things I want and need for the car. I actually have a list. Right now those wants and needs have to wait until a few things change.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Scotty, that is a great idea. Unfortunately at the moment I have to repair what I have in the best way possible.

To be completely honest, I am trying to take care of my parents, my wife's grandparents, and my own children. Add in a grad degree that is not fully covered by grants and I am working on a budget that is balanced on a razor's edge.

Not to venture off topic, but there are a ton of things I want and need for the car. I actually have a list. Right now those wants and needs have to wait until a few things change.

Check out one of the local pull a parts. You should be able to pick up a set on the cheap, though they very rarely have new edges. Once in a blue moon. But for a few bucks if you do find one it may be worth it.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Check out one of the local pull a parts. You should be able to pick up a set on the cheap, though they very rarely have new edges. Once in a blue moon. But for a few bucks if you do find one it may be worth it.

The salvage yard parts for our cars are definitely rare.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have learned that salvage yard finds are normally destroyed, decayed, or just plain trash for late model cars. Plastic and tinfoil doesn't hold up like the real steel predecessors that once ran the streets.

Getting my Mustang into the shape I want may take a bit of time, but it will get there.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I just saw a set for $60 on my CL locally. The AM replicas are $100 I think and quality is good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I just saw a set for $60 on my CL locally. The AM replicas are $100 I think and quality is good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That's something to look into. Thank you.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I pulled the lights and made sure there was nothing blocking the vent tubes. All was clear.

I resealed everything again just to see what happens. We are supposed to get a lot of rain this week, so I will either have dry lights or aquariums.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #17

Region: Louisiana
Maybe the leak is where the bulbs twist into. Check the o-rings around the bulb sockets

Maher.Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher.Lamer View Post
Maybe the leak is where the bulbs twist into. Check the o-rings around the bulb sockets

They appeared to be good, but I won't know for certain until the monsoon leaves after this week.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #19

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
They appeared to be good, but I won't know for certain until the monsoon leaves after this week.

just fill the whole lightbulb with water and see where it leaks from. after its sealed, make sure all the water is dried out of the headlight otherwise it'll condense again from the water alrdy in it
Maher.Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maher.Lamer View Post
just fill the whole lightbulb with water and see where it leaks from. after its sealed, make sure all the water is dried out of the headlight otherwise it'll condense again from the water alrdy in it
Just add goldfish.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

At this point I am just entertained. You may be amused as well. Last night I walked past my car and as usual the headlights were filled with condensation. For the most part I have given up. I will eventually put enough pennies together to buy a new set from AM. The pair of own factory black are only $119. I just paid for another quarter of school, books, etc (I'm a musician, and I am perpetually broke). The headlights have to wait.

What was so entertaining? It rained for two hours non stop today. As soon as the rain stopped I walked outside to see whether or not my lights had become a rain gauge. Oddly, the lights are dry inside.

I apparently own a pair of condensation vacuums. It must be a feature Ford offers. My truck lights don't collect water. The Jeep lights also stay dry.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
At this point I am just entertained. You may be amused as well. Last night I walked past my car and as usual the headlights were filled with condensation. For the most part I have given up. I will eventually put enough pennies together to buy a new set from AM. The pair of own factory black are only $119. I just paid for another quarter of school, books, etc (I'm a musician, and I am perpetually broke). The headlights have to wait.

What was so entertaining? It rained for two hours non stop today. As soon as the rain stopped I walked outside to see whether or not my lights had become a rain gauge. Oddly, the lights are dry inside.

I apparently own a pair of condensation vacuums. It must be a feature Ford offers. My truck lights don't collect water. The Jeep lights also stay dry.

Okay, I'll come clean. When your not looking I spray water up the breather tubes just to mess with you.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, I'll come clean. When your not looking I spray water up the breather tubes just to mess with you.

That would be hilarious.

I'm sealing everything with blue RTV. Now I can see if I miss a spot.

Now I have to find a way to cover the blue that can be seen if this works. I am hoping this round of sealer is a success. I am tired of water filled headlights.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The rain itself is not the cause for condensation in your lights, but the change in temp or humidity that's causing it between the outside and inside temps of the headlight housing. Its often that a resealing of the lens cover or surround that helps prevent the difference in temps that prevents this.

Are these factory or aftermarket headlight buckets?

Another trick you could try for now is to take one of those packets that come with a medicine container or packaging that absorbs moisture (desiccant packets) and place one of these inside the housing (insert it through the bulb hole, but attach a string to it so you can pull it out). See if that will control the moisture until you have enough for a replacement set.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The rain itself is not the cause for condensation in your lights, but the change in temp or humidity that's causing it between the outside and inside temps of the headlight housing. Its often that a resealing of the lens cover or surround that helps prevent the difference in temps that prevents this.

Are these factory or aftermarket headlight buckets?

Another trick you could try for now is to take one of those packets that come with a medicine container or packaging that absorbs moisture (desiccant packets) and place one of these inside the housing (insert it through the bulb hole, but attach a string to it so you can pull it out). See if that will control the moisture until you have enough for a replacement set.
I resealed everything again. I used blue RTV in order to see each and every space. If it looked like a a gap existed I filled it. If the lenses stay dry over the next day or so I will pull the housings and spray the blue in order to keep it from showing.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So far it appears that I have won the headlight condensation war. I may have gotten lucky.

The blue RTV looks like crap though.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So far it appears that I have won the headlight condensation war. I may have gotten lucky.

The blue RTV looks like crap though.

Sounds like you traded one annoyance for another. Can you take a razor blade and shave down any excess silicone and paint it? Text me a pic when you get a chance.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to see what I can make happen. Shoot me a text if you're off this weekend. I may run across the Savannah River if you're available.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So far I have not accumulated any more condensation. The enormous amount of RTV may have bought me a little time on a light replacement.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing