Wash - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Wash

What do you guys wash your car with? Foam gun? I've had one but it was cheap and broke a few uses in. Do you use expensive wash like chemical guys or something like that? Or just something basic you can pick up anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Do not wash your car in direct sunlight. If you do, you will have spots and dried soap residue.

You do not need to use an expensive car wash. I use a pink Meguires car wash that I have purchased for years. A gallon lasts longer than most need it to, and is less than $5. Do not use dish soap, it removes the natural oils in the paint, and strips wax.

Water hose, sprayer, one bucket of soapy water, and one bucket with plain water to rinse the microfiber towel and/or mitt. Rinse the car to remove large debris and also to provide a lubricated surface for the soapy mitt or towel. Start from the top and work your way down one panel at the time. After each panel rinse the towel in the water bucket before reloading it with soap. This will keep dirt from causing scratches and other marks.

Rinse the car well one last time and then dry using a chamois. Then follow the chamois with a micro fiber towel to completely dry the vehicle.

Now you can enjoy your hard work, or proceed to the next step in detailing (which depends on when and how often your car is detailed and waxed).

Class dismissed.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Do not wash your car in direct sunlight. If you do, you will have spots and dried soap residue.

You do not need to use an expensive car wash. I use a pink Meguires car wash that I have purchased for years. A gallon lasts longer than most need it to, and is less than $5. Do not use dish soap, it removes the natural oils in the paint, and strips wax.

Water hose, sprayer, one bucket of soapy water, and one bucket with plain water to rinse the microfiber towel and/or mitt. Rinse the car to remove large debris and also to provide a lubricated surface for the soapy mitt or towel. Start from the top and work your way down one panel at the time. After each panel rinse the towel in the water bucket before reloading it with soap. This will keep dirt from causing scratches and other marks.

Rinse the car well one last time and then dry using a chamois. Then follow the chamois with a micro fiber towel to completely dry the vehicle.

Now you can enjoy your hard work, or proceed to the next step in detailing (which depends on when and how often your car is detailed and waxed).

Class dismissed.

That's basically what I do, with minor tweaks. I was really just asking about the soap, and if you use that way, or a foam gun/cannon. But thanks! Picked up a couple tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama5OH View Post
That's basically what I do, with minor tweaks. I was really just asking about the soap, and if you use that way, or a foam gun/cannon. But thanks! Picked up a couple tips.
I don't use any pressure washers, foaming nozzles, or over powered sprayers on my vehicles (unless it is the under carriage). A standard hose and spray nozzle is best. You don't have to worry about blowing off paint, pushing water into places it doesn't need to be, and it allows a controlled rinse rather than agitate more foam and suds.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How about under the hood?
ajkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkillgore View Post
How about under the hood?
Cleaning the engine bay can be tackled in several manners. That depends on how dirty things are, whether or not any oil or grease is everywhere, etc. Also, bare aluminum can react and oxidize with different chemicals. Super Clean and Purple stuff will quickly turn bare aluminum white.

If you keep everything clean from the start you only have to maintain the cleanliness. If you purchase a vehicle that has a neglected engine bay I would have it steam cleaned.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama5OH View Post
What do you guys wash your car with? Foam gun? I've had one but it was cheap and broke a few uses in. Do you use expensive wash like chemical guys or something like that? Or just something basic you can pick up anywhere?
Croftgate rinseless wash and wax! I also have foam gun to use on my customers vehicles when using my clay mitt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing