Who is running different colored headlights/fogs on their stangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Who is running different colored headlights/fogs on their stangs?

I was browsing through Facebook and saw a post where this guy does lights. I'd loved to have some red to match the car, but feels like a surefire way to automatically get pulled over here in TN. For those running lights like this, do you have any issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483412666482.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	213898  
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Who is running different colored headlights/fogs on their stangs?

It depends where you live. But i'm guessing they are 99% a no-no

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Mustang Evolution. 📱
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Red lights WHILE DRIVING, anywhere but the taillights, brake lights and rear side marker light will get you pulled. Stationary it is fine.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Check your state's laws. In Colorado you can't have any red or blue lights on the front of the vehicle while it is in motion. Those are reserved for emergency vehicles in most states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-03-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Why not use the fog lights for what they are intended for, and install a good set of bulbs that provide good light?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Why not use the fog lights for what they are intended for, and install a good set of bulbs that provide good light?
Almost no one uses fog lights as intended (for fog).
Then again the mustang grille fog lights are probably the worst implementation of fog lights you could have. They're really more like driving lights. But I agree, forward lights should just have good standard color bulbs (and definitely not that drop-in HID or LED crap).

If you absolutely must have flashy colors, it's best to do some kind of halo setup with a controller or switch. Through most if not all of the US, any colors besides white and amber are illegal in the front, so you'll want to be able to turn it off or change to an acceptable color while driving.
Red and blue are especially illegal because they are designated as police colors, so you can get in extra trouble if the cop wants to give you a hard time.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It's probably only me and I'll put on my flame suit for my view on the stupid looking colored rings around the headlights and fog lights.
Mustangs look fine without the rice Jap crap ricer rings.
Like I said, I'm probably the only person in the world that don't like the looks of them.
I guess I'm showing my age but those who do like them, FINE
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It's probably only me and I'll put on my flame suit for my view on the stupid looking colored rings around the headlights and fog lights.
Mustangs look fine without the rice Jap crap ricer rings.
Like I said, I'm probably the only person in the world that don't like the looks of them.
I guess I'm showing my age but those who do like them, FINE
Ronnie
No I'm with you there. I don't like flashy colored lights up front (or anywhere).
I do have white halos on my grille lights, but the grille lights will likely be gone completely soon.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #9

Region: North Carolina
Google your state's motor vehicle light laws.
Adfalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I put yellow bulbs in the lower valence fogs, the yellow color better penetrates the coastal fog we get here. They look a lot brighter dead on or at night than this picture shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights on.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	214002  
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. Normal colored halos are ok, but all these crazy colored lights in the front to me should be outlawed. But I see them on cars all the time including blue lights. I don't see how they get away with it.
69ponyxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ponyxprs View Post
I agree. Normal colored halos are ok, but all these crazy colored lights in the front to me should be outlawed. But I see them on cars all the time including blue lights. I don't see how they get away with it.
They are outlawed, but police usually don't bother with enforcing lighting. (I wish they'd enforce constant use of light bars and high beams)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
They are outlawed, but police usually don't bother with enforcing lighting. (I wish they'd enforce constant use of light bars and high beams)
Definitely. I cannot stand someone who runs their high beams and doesn't turn them off when a car is coming their way. Several people do that to me but I'm a spiteful person and throw my high beams on right back at them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Red, Blue are illegal in every state. Whether it is the front or side. Some states you can have a red light on your license plate. But beware, that is a reason for getting stopped. While would you kick the hornets nest or invite getting stopped by the police.

Also Green. Green is used in some states for volunteer firemen.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #15

As for the fog lights, the recommended lamps for my fog lights is useless as fog lights. I upgraded to HID at 3000K color. It puts out almost as strong as headlight HIDs.
Adfalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adfalenski View Post
As for the fog lights, the recommended lamps for my fog lights is useless as fog lights. I upgraded to HID at 3000K color. It puts out almost as strong as headlight HIDs.
Fog lights are not supposed to be stupid bright. Those housings are also not designed for HIDs, you're probably blinding anyone in front of you. I bet they're pretty useless in fog too lol.
I see cars all the time with HID fogs and they're more blinding than their headlights.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Red, Blue are illegal in every state. Whether it is the front or side. Some states you can have a red light on your license plate. But beware, that is a reason for getting stopped. While would you kick the hornets nest or invite getting stopped by the police.

Also Green. Green is used in some states for volunteer firemen.
Green lights are also used by Homeland Security
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
You guys should try suing the makers, & make some $

Autocorrect is my worst enema...
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adfalenski View Post

Any night time pics of your 3000k fogs? I've been contemplating this swap for mine.

Ric
Old 02-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Funny also how MANY associate "halo" lighting as being "ricer" when they originated from BMW. So from this point forward, they should be referred to as "Reiser", the German word for Ricer
MADSCOTSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Fog lights are not supposed to be stupid bright. Those housings are also not designed for HIDs, you're probably blinding anyone in front of you. I bet they're pretty useless in fog too lol.
I see cars all the time with HID fogs and they're more blinding than their headlights.
Yep, correct. Fog lights are intended to light up a small amount in front of mist/fog only; they are not supposed to be bright, as this would reflect off of the fog and water mist, rendering them useless. It amazes me how many drivers run them in the morning when there is no fog. I guess this is "cool" for some drivers. Maybe if they read an owners manual, they'd understand the purpose and function of fog lights.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Yep, correct. Fog lights are intended to light up a small amount in front of mist/fog only; they are not supposed to be bright, as this would reflect off of the fog and water mist, rendering them useless. It amazes me how many drivers run them in the morning when there is no fog. I guess this is "cool" for some drivers. Maybe if they read an owners manual, they'd understand the purpose and function of fog lights.
To be fair, the GT "fog lights" are already pretty bad at being fog lights from the factory. They're up high and aimed high, the LEDs are pretty bright, and they're not a good color for weather.
But there's no reason to make it worse lol
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I run 2500k LEDs in my fogs, but they are basically useless. The switchback turns I have put out more light than the fog lights...lol
Old 03-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ford really confuses people with their poor marketing and packages.

The lower bumper openings are where fog lights should be installed. The big round lights in the grille were originally for sealed-beam driving lights in the 60s and 70s. The proper setup is driving lights in the grille and fogs down below.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing