Mustang Evolution Forum banner

The people who design cars don't need to work on them....and....

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  jek57 
#1 ·
I've heard it said many times that the folks who design the mechanical parts of a car don't have to work on them. Like -- having to remove the entire engine and transmission to replace a water pump and seal (Audi Q7).
I'll add that on the new body style Mustang, the people who designed the body are NOT the ones who get to wax it!!!!!
I just finished a complete wax job on my 2015 Guard Green GT convertible, including the bumpers and tail lights. In 49 years of driving (and waxing) -- this new Mustang is, without a doubt, the most difficult to wax and to get all of the residue out of all of the crevices, creases, seams and other design details. A true PITA!:banghead:
I will admit that Guard Green is a very dark color, and those make it more difficult, but Jeeze Louise.....it took me half an hour just to wax and detail the tail lights and rear bumper, and I finally had to resort to a detailing brush soaked in California Gold detailing spray to get all of the residue out of everywhere! And yes, I WAS trying to be careful with the edges of the waxing applicator when putting on the wax. But if you do the tail lights, trunk and spoiler, there are creases and seams all over the place!
Thanks....rant over!!!

#8 ·
I've heard by many that Meguiar's Synthetic wax is great. I haven't tried it yet. I like a freshly waxed look, so I often use detail spray before taking my car out on the road. Of course, that's after it's been waxed regularly.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax is great in that the residue is really low and doesn't turn white on any trim. One product that is way different than I'm used to (as far as waxing etc) is CarPro Reload. I've been wanting to try that for protection after each carwash. Then, I would continue applying Adam's Polishes Paint Sealant twice a year, like I currently do.

#5 ·
I have a 2012 gt kona blue and yes dark colored car are a pain to detail and do take longer to detail for sure. What i use is Poorboys World Black hole Show Glaze it for dark colored cars super easy to put on take off then i top it off with collinite 476 as you know collinite lasts for a long time i also use lucas quick mist after i wash it very good stuff keeps that dark colored paint looking good for quite a while

#6 ·
JEK57,

Back when I regularly took part in car shows with my daily drivers, I used a two or three step process as well. For me now however, the Collinite 845 is enough and keeps the car beading up when I wash it, easy to dry, and very shiny.
I still do wash the car every time after a long drive before putting it away....under cover of course, so that it stays nice for the next long drive. When it is covered up, I do miss opening the door to the garage to look at it though.

#9 · (Edited)
Even Autogeek likes the 845 too. I've used it for years -- and I used to switch waxes all the time. Once I discovered 845, I threw out 3 or 4 other almost full bottles (NXT2 among them) and haven't looked back.
Next time, I am going to try not letting it dry for so long. Autogeek recommends, on a warm surface only letting it dry for about 30 seconds.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax

#10 · (Edited)
I've heard it said many times that the folks who design the mechanical parts of a car don't have to work on them. Like -- having to remove the entire engine and transmission to replace a water pump and seal (Audi Q7).
Interesting note is that another car that has to have the engine out for a water pump is a 09ish (forgot the year honestly) MKZ.
Then some A4 Audi Quattro's with the 3.0L V6 require the engine out to change converters.

Pick your poison.

#11 ·
Interesting note is that another car that has to have the engine out for a water pump is a 09ish (forgot the year honestly) MKZ.
Then some A4 Audi Quattro's with the 3.0L V6 require the engine out to change converters.
My neighbor had a Q7 that had developed a rear main seal leak, and they recommended a water pump replacement at the same time. Estimated repair bill? $6,500!!!
He traded the Q7 in on a used Jaguar XF......yeah, good luck with that, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.