Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tail of the Dragon

9K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 ·
Is anyone up for pitting together a US129 run to say the Dragon? I used to visit the mountain beast on my Hayabusa. Now that I have the Mustang I would enjoy putting a group ride together for a day or a weekend.

#2 ·
Absolutely.

I was about to post up that I'm headed there on a day trip (about 4 hours from home) on June 17th. I'm not sure how many people will ride with me, but likely a handful, not just Mustangs but likely more than anything else. Probably be in Deal's Gap around 10:30 am.

I'd be down for anyone meeting up and for future trips with folks on here.

#4 ·
Sounds good. Saturday can be frustrating but may bring some kids along so more of a relaxed run than some I've done in the past.

May do the loop to run the Cherohala skyway as well, depending on who's there and how much driving they want to do.

#5 ·
I'm not as comfortable in the corners driving a car as I am on a bike. I can promise slow cruising at grandpa speeds.

On a bike I like to use the entire tire, and drag knees. My last trip to the dragon resulted in holes being worn in the fairings of my Hayabusa. That big monster was a lot of fun. I regret selling it.

#6 ·
Hayabusa.
I had a friend that had one and it was heavily modified.
He got radar caught by the Police doing over 200MPH.
They could not catch him even if they tried but one of the cops knew where he lived and they took a bunch of pictures of bikes running into cars and killing people.
He said that was worse then losing his license and paying a huge fine.
He sold the bike soon after and stopped riding.
Bucko may know of the guy, His name was Jeff and he hung around the store I worked at a lot.
He lived in Deltona.
I have not seen him for years and always wonder if he is still around.
The Hayabusa in it's stock form is a beast and super fast.
Do you still have yours?
Ronnie

#7 ·
Ronnie, I ended up selling my bike. Like your friend, I did a lot of work to the bike. I could dip into the 9 sec ET mark foot shifting the stock bike.

Like all toys, I ended up doing head work, which lead to boring the cylinders and stroking engine. It was a fun sleeper grudge bike.

It only took a few minutes to swap the swing arm, coil over, and chain for a couple extra inches. Lowering straps on the front forks tucked things down for a quick high 7 sec run on street tires, hand clutch, and foot shifter.

#8 ·
I do love those bikes ; Even though I'm a Harley Davidson guy.
I also always liked the Ninga.
I have to admit that I never ever seen a Hayabusa I didn't like.
I just never had a need for one myself, I had my Harley's for my long distance traveling. I was fortunate enough to have a job that allowed me to take a few summer months off to hit the highway.
My last bike was a Dresser that had 140,000 on it when I sold it. My health got bad and I had to stop riding.
It's OK though because I have been to all of the states except Hawaii and Alaska,
Been across the trans Canadian Highway from one side to the other and put a lot of miles on in Mexico. ( Ya can't do that now)
There was nothing in the world better then traveling on a Harley Davidson back in the 80's and early 90's before the world got so crazy and dangerous.
After I had to give up riding Motorcycles I started Tracking and Auto X-ing to keep my brain happy.
Now I like the car shows because my health won't let me track anymore.
They say it is hell to get old but I say, Just find some other form of auto-entertainment to keep the brain happy.
I'm going to miss the American Muscle """ALL MUSTANG EVENT""" this August because I'm getting a new hip the 30th of this month.
There is always next year and I hope they still limit the show to "ONLY MUSTANGS"
It's really tough to be a 74 year old guy with a 16 year old brain.
My body got old but my brain never matured. Ha! Ha!
If anybody thinks the American Muscle all Mustang show is to far to drive. You are missing the absolute best event for MUSTANG people """EVER""""
I drive up from Florida and it is about 1,000 miles each way.
Like Bucko always say's "
Mustangs are made to drive
I say gas up and "GO" and don't waste your life sitting around not going someplace because it's too far.
Ronnie

#9 ·
i am down for a dragon run!! subbing to this thread! maybe we can get more interest on this post, Revv haha.

:mustang:

P.S. Ronnie, keep motoring man!! im glad im not the only guy whose body is leaving their brain in the dust. i have yet to make it to the All Mustang show but it has now moved up a couple spots on my list.

P.P.S. i want a bike so bad! been really looking at the kawaski versys 650. im getting married tho so probably wont be on 2 wheels for a little bit. now how to convince the lady... :whistling::facepalm::banghead::confused:

#11 ·
To bad I'm out of commission because Mario and me would be with you.
The only problem is if Mario sees a rest area on the dragon, He wants to stop and sniff.
Ronnie

#14 ·
I know Revvv,
I have been on it a few times , Corvette, Mini, Harley but not this Mustang. Mario won't notice any turn offs because he likes to read the "REST AREA 1 mile signs"
I know he can't read, but he sure can recognize those signs on the Interstates.
He will be laying in his box looking out the window and as soon as he sees the sign, he goes nuts for me to stop.
We have been to every rest area on I-95 & I 4 more then one time.
It is a good thing though because it does me good to stop often and walk around.
Ronnie

Attachments

#16 ·
We stop in Elkton Maryland to freeload off of my friend Tom for a week on the way back to Florida after the show.
Tom has a hot rod old chevy pickup with a beefed up engine.
Mario loves Tom's truck and rides on the center console. He put his feet in the CUP HOLDERS so he does not slide around.
We were going down to Dover to take a tour of the speedway.
On US 13 is a rest area on the North side of the highway. There is a sign on the South side that says "REST AREA AHEAD"
Mario sees the sign and starts going crazy. Tom say "What is wrong with your dog?" I said he seen the rest area sign and wants to stop. Of course Tom said "BULL POOP" (We did not stop)
On the way back when Mario seen the sign he went bananas again. This time Tom stopped and we had to get out and walk around the pet area. Tom just shook his head.
When we got back to Tom's house, He could not wait to tell his girl friend about Mario and the rest area signs.
Ronnie

Attachments

#23 ·
Hey 69ponyxprs,
What are you getting done?
My new hip is tomorrow (may 30th.)
I sure can't wait to get this over with. It is cutting in to my "FUN TRAVEL TIME"
Ronnie

#27 ·
Good luck with your Valve job. I know someone that had that done and they are back to """BETTER THEN EVER STATUS"""
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.