V6 driveshaft's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
V6 driveshaft's

Was wondering if AM could chime in on this subject. I keep seeing posts about how they WILL fail over 120MPH. I've seen two vids where they have failed, one on a dyno and one at around 130MPH, both obviously modified..

I'm personally of the belief these two cases are because of human error when removing and replacing driveline parts and could likely have been prevented by the use of blue Loc-Tite and a torque wrench, and if there were actually a REAL issue then message boards and forums would be flooded with horror stories not RUMORS...

I'm under the impression AM has done extensive modding and dyno tests with these cars and could shed some TRUTH on this once and for all because the talk ppl talk is just not logical in any sense of the word IMO...
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: V6 driveshaft's

It is NOT a rumor, the 6v mustang 2011 up is computer restricted to about 115, if you tune it and remove the limiter it will fail at about 130 mph. fix is aftermarket DS
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Is the v6 drive shaft one piece or a split one?..because I have heard of them failing just by changing the limiter..though this does sound a bit strange that a car would have a drive shaft that will completely fail at only 20-30mph over stock speeds?..ford had to expect these cars WILL be modded.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: V6 driveshaft's

That is why Ford installed a speed governor , You are more that welcome to install an aftermarket drive shaft and tune the car. and turn the governor off.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Proof... All cars have speed limiters.........
Proof proof...

The speed rating on the tires corresponds with the speed limiter as well...

I want evidence... Not theory
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Just sayin any car ive ever modded didn't need a d/s upgrade till you ran slicks and a s**t ton of upgrades...bad design on fords part...imo...if this falure is true.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

It makes no logical sense that I can go buy a new mustang, buy a tuner, turn the governor off, speed up to 130 and the DS is going to fail..
When I say it out loud it sounds like the most ridiculous thing I've ever said...
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Aluminum shafts are not the 'answer' either...

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

I've been searching and the only failure with an OEM shaft I can find is the 135MPH guy..

Also seems as though tuners like AM/Bama and companies like SCT and Diablo would be recommending a DS upgrade to a proper shaft with every tuner sale and inquiry to avoid liability for damages...
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Aluminum shafts are not the 'answer' either...

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

I've been searching and the only failure with an OEM shaft I can find is the 135MPH guy..

Also seems as though tuners like AM/Bama and companies like SCT and Diablo would be recommending a DS upgrade to a proper shaft with every tuner sale and inquiry to avoid liability for damages...
I read about the first half of the article. When you say aluminum isn't the answer, I agree to a point. But if strength is what your referring to, you can buy very strong aluminum shafts. Not the answer just because its aluminum, but you can get a very strong aluminum shaft. If that makes sense.

As for any failures after reading the article. Have any failures that occured happened to cars with modded suspension. The part that interests me is the setting the pinion angle. Just like my umi lift bars require it. Anything with relocation brackets would require it. Just some food for thought.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I read about the first half of the article. When you say aluminum isn't the answer, I agree to a point. But if strength is what your referring to, you can buy very strong aluminum shafts. Not the answer just because its aluminum, but you can get a very strong aluminum shaft. If that makes sense.

As for any failures after reading the article. Have any failures that occured happened to cars with modded suspension. The part that interests me is the setting the pinion angle. Just like my umi lift bars require it. Anything with relocation brackets would require it. Just some food for thought.
Seems lowered cars, and cars on dyno's are the common issue in the shaft masters cases.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Seems lowered cars, and cars on dyno's are the common issue in the shaft masters cases.
I think a lowered car could afftect the pinion angle to some degree. I bet that has something to do with it.

I am curious to what AM thinks or knows of the issue as well.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle