Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I ordered my tuner last Wednesday and got it this Tuesday... Would it have been updated by then?
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lBRAlD
I ordered my tuner last Wednesday and got it this Tuesday... Would it have been updated by then?
Only one way to check. Go to sct website, dl the updater for your programer. Plug it in. Search for updates. It really easy.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I'll give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Good thread, really helpful with AM's participation too.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lBRAlD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
Only one way to check. Go to sct website, dl the updater for your programer. Plug it in. Search for updates. It really easy.
You've already been given some great advice, however let me try & clear this up for you a bit.

In order to find out what software is on the device you have to power your SCT (you can use a USB cable to your computer, if your uncomfortable plugging it into the car to find out) - From there go to "Device Info" in the main menu. That will display what firmware version is on the device. We received the firmware from SCT last week & started updating tuners manually. There's a chance that your device could have shipped out before the latest Firmware was installed. (The Firmware can be downloaded on SCT's website if you want to do it yourself)

Let me know if you need me to clear anything up or need further assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Good thread, really helpful with AM's participation too.
Hey man, I'm hear to help! If you ever need any assistance, have a question or just want to chat feel free to hit me up!

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

You've already been given some great advice, however let me try & clear this up for you a bit.

In order to find out what software is on the device you have to power your SCT (you can use a USB cable to your computer, if your uncomfortable plugging it into the car to find out) - From there go to "Device Info" in the main menu. That will display what firmware version is on the device. We received the firmware from SCT last week & started updating tuners manually. There's a chance that your device could have shipped out before the latest Firmware was installed. (The Firmware can be downloaded on SCT's website if you want to do it yourself)

Let me know if you need me to clear anything up or need further assistance!

Hey man, I'm hear to help! If you ever need any assistance, have a question or just want to chat feel free to hit me up!

- Dan
Thanks, I decided I would use the tuner as shipped. Before I add any more mods and have more tunes added I will update if needed. My new tunes are working perfectly and car is running super smooth.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance.

- Dan
You might want to mention that more. I didn't know until seeing this thread. Some other vendors are pushing that association pretty hard lately (not a bad thing--it's good to know when there is a strong relationship with the OEM).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
You might want to mention that more. I didn't know until seeing this thread. Some other vendors are pushing that association pretty hard lately (not a bad thing--it's good to know when there is a strong relationship with the OEM).

claudermilk,

Thanks for the heads up. We are very happy to a part of the program, I'll start to get the word out a bit more!

- Dan
Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk

+1 I had just read a post from steeda a few days ago and that point almost caught me till I saw this thread
The Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Spiney,

The issues with SCT devices are pretty far and few. There's been a few more lately than normal, but we send out thousands of tunes each month and most of our customers load them up right away and are ready to go! Occasionally there are errors, but SCT and the Bama team will work hard to get you back on the road and enjoying your custom tunes!

We've been talking with SCT for the last few weeks to get this updated firmware out there. The problems that we were seeing with back-to-stock failures are still very far and few, but a few more than normal. We've been manually updating our tuners before they ship to the newest 1.2.142 firmware, so that customers don't have to worry. SCT is confident that it's solved, and we've been testing the new firmware on our own fleet of Mustangs just to make sure! I'm very confident that you won't have any problems at all.

For each and every Bama Tune, we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique set up and intended use, in an easy to use web form. This information allows us to write an entirely custom tune just for your specific vehicle to ensure we deliver the most power and performance possible. We're constantly developing out custom tunes with the latest and greatest! Between our 14 different AM Mustangs and tons of street/track testing, and constant testing on our DynoJet 224xlc, we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. Our lead tuner Mike Wilson works hard to give you guys one of the best custom tunes on the market! We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance.

- Dan
Thank you for taking the time to reply with such a full and complete reply. I look forward to picking up a tuner on Sunday at the show, if I can. I do have a question that you may or may not know the answer to. When I bought my car, a 96 SVT Cobra it came with a Superchip's chip installed. When I remove that chip will my ECM/PCM revert to the factory tune? Also can I buy a cap to cover that port once I remove the chip? When I bought the car it was low mileage at 38K and had been a pampered garage queen. I was shocked to find it had some running issues. It would occasionally on its own rev up, then down, then stall. On restart it would blow black smoke out of one side of the exhaust. I thought the worst, but was told it was running rich, hence the black smoke. After checking many things I found out the issue was the Superchip was not seated properly and there was corrosion on both the chip and the PCM contacts. I cleaned the contacts, re-seated the chip, secured it with gorilla tape and it has run flawlessly ever since for the past year. I want to add a Tuner and BAMA tunes because I doubt the Superchip is optimized for my car, but maybe it is? And I also plan to add upgrades and want to be able to have the tunes adjusted with the upgrades. Where the original Superchip's EPROMs programmed with a custom tune, or we're they more generic? Thanks again, maybe I'll see you on Sunday. Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I had sort of the same problem a you.
I installed a steeda CIA on my v6 and my engine was running lean (using 93 octane)
I called am and they told me to check it for any cracks and leaks
I found no cracks or leaks. I stumbled across the strategy tune and I mess played with it and the annoying check engine light disappeared.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok
Last update in this long saga:

Intake went back on, went to tune load a tune on the car: no dice, no custom tunes loaded on the device. I went back inside and called BAMA and spoke with their guy Daniel M. He looked up my order number and emailed me the updated tunes. I followed the included instructions, got the tuner drivers updated, loaded the tunes. Went back out to the car, plugged it in....and now I'm running very healthy on their 93R tune! Gotta say, I was kinda worried to use the tuner on the car again but it worked out perfectly and the car is running great.

So, in summary, this is what I learned:
Strategy is not, in fact, as powerful as a custom tune. It seems to be a mildly altered stock config.

Sometimes the problem is with the actual tuner device, not the tunes.

Let the car relearn it's idle after installing mods. 2mins without AC, 2mins with AC, another 2mins without. It should even out after this.

Wiping an ECU and having the dealer reprogram the car isn't fun, but I got lucky that they covered it under warranty.

AM's and BAMA's customer service is pretty good. SCT's isn't that great, from my experience.

Good numbers to have: AM 888-226-9764. Use option 3 to call BAMA directly.
Ford roadside 1-800-241-3673
SCT 407-774-2447
So if we're having problems with our tuner, you don't recommend using strategy tune?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

If the problem is with your tuner; you have a possibility of completely wiping all the information from your ECU and being stuck with a toaster.

Make sure your tuner is 100% up to date with the drivers before loading anything. If your tunes aren't acting right, I'd be on the phone with BAMA.

The strategy tune is nothing more than a mildly altered stock configuration, whereas the BAMA tunes actually change timing and engine response.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Well how can I tell? The custom tunes got me a check engine light, but when the strategy tune was put in, the light disappeared. I'm thinking it's a problem with the tunes. But I don't wanna accidentally fry my ecu
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I would call BAMA and ask before you do anything else.

Just my .02
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for scaring me
i got the problem fixed!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Happened again! I'm in the process of checking to see if the tuner is up to date...probably going to be on the phone with BAMA today.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, this is going to sound familiar:

BAMA can't do anything about it, the problem lies with the SCT tuner. I did NOT have this update installed prior to today. Kinda funny how SCT releases a critical update a WEEK after I called them the first time. The update is supposed to prevent this exact thing from happening:

"Changes in this release:

- Resolved random Return to Stock issues"

Which is precisely the problem I am having...the tuner wipes the stock config in the process of uploading a new tune, and fails in the middle of the process of loading a new one. It then goes on to prompt to 'load stock config if car won't start'. You go to load the stock config and...it does nothing. Error 1016.

I'm going to call SCT on Monday to see if they have a way to load the whole stock config via the tuner...I'm hoping they have some work-around for this issue, obviously it is a large enough problem that they released a 'critical update' to fix it.

On a side note, I called the Ford dealership and asked them how much it would cost to have the stock files rewritten to the computer. The manager said it would be about 1 1/2 hours of work, so labor alone would be 140ish. I have the name of the tech who did it last time, I'll see if I can't talk to him and say 'hey look, it did it again, do you still have the software to load it?'. If that is the case, I don't think the total price would exceed just the labor costs...it's not like they are installing replacement parts, after all.

Some good sites to have for updating your X3/SF3: SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!
there is a list of updates available...kinda scary to read through, seems to be a lot of issues that they needed to hotfix. Sounds to me like I'm no the only one who ended up with a toaster.

I am probably the only guy who got burned by it twice. FML.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #53
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Ok, this is going to sound familiar:

BAMA can't do anything about it, the problem lies with the SCT tuner. I did NOT have this update installed prior to today. Kinda funny how SCT releases a critical update a WEEK after I called them the first time. The update is supposed to prevent this exact thing from happening:

"Changes in this release:

- Resolved random Return to Stock issues"

Which is precisely the problem I am having...the tuner wipes the stock config in the process of uploading a new tune, and fails in the middle of the process of loading a new one. It then goes on to prompt to 'load stock config if car won't start'. You go to load the stock config and...it does nothing. Error 1016.

I'm going to call SCT on Monday to see if they have a way to load the whole stock config via the tuner...I'm hoping they have some work-around for this issue, obviously it is a large enough problem that they released a 'critical update' to fix it.

On a side note, I called the Ford dealership and asked them how much it would cost to have the stock files rewritten to the computer. The manager said it would be about 1 1/2 hours of work, so labor alone would be 140ish. I have the name of the tech who did it last time, I'll see if I can't talk to him and say 'hey look, it did it again, do you still have the software to load it?'. If that is the case, I don't think the total price would exceed just the labor costs...it's not like they are installing replacement parts, after all.

Some good sites to have for updating your X3/SF3: SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!
there is a list of updates available...kinda scary to read through, seems to be a lot of issues that they needed to hotfix. Sounds to me like I'm no the only one who ended up with a toaster.

I am probably the only guy who got burned by it twice. FML.
Rynarok,

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Even though I have to sit the sidelines on this while SCT gets you taken care of, I'm going to do my best to help you out. I'm going to have my Bama Performance Supervisor contact you directly this afternoon and hook you up with some Bama/American Muscle swag.

I know this will not fix the issue your experiencing with your device. However we want you to know we're still here to support you! Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a question, need some assistance or just want to chat!

- Dan
Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Update; been on the phone with SCT all day (besides a 3 hr break to go take a pathophysiology exam...yuck). Working with Mark A. He's been helpful, but SCT has no clue as to why their tuners are wiping my PCM.

I now have to overnight the tuner and my PCM to their office in Florida. They want to find out exactly why the tuner is blanking my PCM...for their sake, I hope they find out why and pass the benefit on to other mustang guys who are getting skullf*@ked by these tuners.

"If things go well" I should have it overnighted back to me by Thursday/Friday at the latest.

In the mean time, I'm stuck with a 3700lb toaster shaped like a mustang...and a wife who's wondering "how exactly did you break your car again? You did the same thing to it?"

Ugh.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #55
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Man, sorry bro! I'm glad you were able to at least get to this point. Good luck to you!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry about ur situation
I hope sct pulls through on this one
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In the mean time, I'm stuck with a 3700lb toaster shaped like a mustang...and a wife who's wondering "how exactly did you break your car again? You did the same thing to it?"

Ugh.
That has to be the worst part of this whole ordeal. I don't envy you...

Hopefully SCT gets this figured out quickly. Reading all these problems just helps me resist messing with mine for a while.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Just got off the phone with SCT again, my PCM and tuner are being sent out today...I should have it back Thursday/Friday-ish.

Had an interesting discussion with one of their techs: the likely reason that '13s are being killed by this thing is that the voltage settings for the PCM are different than in the '11s and '12s...I guess that explains why you don't see many "ZOMG SCT KILLED BY '11 GT!" threads. The tuner's software/firmware aren't compensating for that yet...and that might be a reason for this issue.

I guess another moral to this story is this: wait a year or two before using a tuner on your brand new car...things might have been slightly altered and the tuning company hasnt caught on just yet.

...And we all know the '13 is a slightly different animal than the '11s and '12s are. Revised MT82, more annoying nanny programming of traction control/advancetrak, a boost in power...and now, apparently, a PCM that runs a lil' hotter.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Rynarok,

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Even though I have to sit the sidelines on this while SCT gets you taken care of, I'm going to do my best to help you out. I'm going to have my Bama Performance Supervisor contact you directly this afternoon and hook you up with some Bama/American Muscle swag.

I know this will not fix the issue your experiencing with your device. However we want you to know we're still here to support you! Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a question, need some assistance or just want to chat!

- Dan
Dan, Shane: I'm not even concerned with AM at this point...the problem is the SCT tuner, not BAMA's tunes. I have only good things to say about AM, your company's customer service is gold-standard from what I've seen...and I'm used to fighting with dealers day-in/day-out for parts for my old SRT4 (RIP old girl). I'll still be a customer ...especially when it comes time for Marcie to progress into phase 2: exhaust...then phase 3: shifter replacement...then phase 4: swaybars, shocks, springs, bushings, LCAs...and so on.

Also, I didn't get a call from AM, but toss me a PM and I can give you my contact info. If AM feels like they wanna toss some swag my way, I'm not gonna turn it down. It isn't necessary, though.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #59
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Dan, Shane: I'm not even concerned with AM at this point...the problem is the SCT tuner, not BAMA's tunes. I have only good things to say about AM, your company's customer service is gold-standard from what I've seen...and I'm used to fighting with dealers day-in/day-out for parts for my old SRT4 (RIP old girl). I'll still be a customer ...especially when it comes time for Marcie to progress into phase 2: exhaust...then phase 3: shifter replacement...then phase 4: swaybars, shocks, springs, bushings, LCAs...and so on.

Also, I didn't get a call from AM, but toss me a PM and I can give you my contact info. If AM feels like they wanna toss some swag my way, I'm not gonna turn it down. It isn't necessary, though.
We really appreciate the compliments and loyalty! I feel it's a must after what you've been through with your device. I just shot you over a PM, I look forward to speaking with you soon!

- Dan
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Rynarok, sorry for all of your troubles. I really think you have good advice in waiting awhile when trying anything technology wise on a brand new model year car. I worked in the computer industry for many years and they had a saying " the leading edge is the bleeding edge". Always better to wait for rev 2.0. Same goes for power boost, for drivability and longer life always go a couple of clicks below the max. I hope you get this straightened out. I've been talking to Dan and Mike and I'm buying one for my 96 SVT Cobra. I'm pretty sure they have the bugs worked out on that one. Lol

Anyone here using the IPad / IPhone version of the SCT Tuner? Any issues with that and the Bluetooth connection? Does it take much longer to upload a tune? Can you hard wire if you want? I like the idea of the performance tests 0-60 1/4 mile etc. thanks, Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #61
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Anyone here using the IPad / IPhone version of the SCT Tuner? Any issues with that and the Bluetooth connection? Does it take much longer to upload a tune? Can you hard wire if you want? I like the idea of the performance tests 0-60 1/4 mile etc. thanks, Dave
Hey I can definitely touch base on this for you!

The SCT iTSX is a great product and very convenient. This device does take a few more minutes to transfer then your average SF3, but not a substantial difference. You can wire this device into your computer, Ipad etc.. with a Micro USB!

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions feel free to hit up Bama! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 10AM-3PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

- Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I got the tuner and PCM back from SCT today: she's running again. I should call them and ask what the problem is and if I can expect to see this happen if I try to swap tunes...maybe Monday. I feel the need to take her for a drive...she's been sitting for too long.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 08-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok
I got the tuner and PCM back from SCT today: she's running again. I should call them and ask what the problem is and if I can expect to see this happen if I try to swap tunes...maybe Monday. I feel the need to take her for a drive...she's been sitting for too long.
Man... What a mess... Glad your back in action.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #64

Region: Texas
something very similar happend to me this past friday , installed smooth and out of no where a error code , so, i was like okay back to stock , well it failed as well . so feeling a bit frustrated that my car isnt working , i call up American Muscle and i speak with a nice gentleman and he helps me out.

eventually i was instructed to call SCT. They were closing so i hurried and called them , spoke to a gentleman named John ( or was it Josh ) , he went out his way to run out and catch his guy that makes the factory tune so i could drive me car home . which i wasn't to angry being that i had the car at my shop and i had two other cars to drive just incase the 5.0s ecu was trashed .

so , after an hour or so of phone and updateing the SCT , my car was running again . i was advised not to load the tune until Monday ( today ) and i did so this morning . The Install went smooth ( took awhile ) and i'm happy with the improvements the customer service with American Muscle and SCT .

-T'erre
apex000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle