Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT)

Ok, so I am pretty sure some of you have seen my recent write up on my JLT CAI install, and this kinda goes in with part 2 of my write up on how to use the BAMA SCT tuner.

--

Here's the deal; intake installed, fits tight and seems to work perfectly. Went to install the tune, and selected "13-GT-93S" which, according to the helpful guy working the phone at BAMA, is the street tune.

Loaded it, no problems, went for a drive and it stalled during idle at a light (just died, no throttle or clutch input from me at all). It seemed to have issues with hesitation and surge when accelerating in both 1st and 2nd gear....similar to how it feels when you are teaching a kid how to drive a manual and they aren't quite getting the clutch action down, and it jerks and surges. I drove maybe 20 miles on it and stopped and tried a different tune, this time the 13-GT-93P performance tune. Same deal. Tried the last one, the 13-GT-93R race tune, and it still acted the same. The only difference I could feel is how it would act at WOT, and changes to the powerband curve. I've also tried turning traction control off (changes nothing) and granny driving with ignoring 1st and just doing 0-30ish in 2nd...same problem, it begins to act up around 3500-4k. (btw, street is damned fun lower in the revs, when I could get it to act correctly)

I was getting pretty p*ssed, so I got to playing around with the tuner's settings. Kinda stumbled upon the 'strategy tune' part of the program, and got to see my settings. I noticed that it had my correct intake selected, and my .373 axle ratio, but it was listing 87octane instead of 93. I specifically remember requesting all of my tunes being set up for 93, it is all I run...so I wonder if my 3 custom tunes are also set for 87, and that is what is causing issues with hesitation and surge? I have no way of checking.

For sh*ts n giggles, I set up the strategy tune with my specs, the right octane, upped the idle from 500 to 650, and loaded it. The car runs great, the idle is smooth, and the acceleration is consistent and even...a lot like driving the stock car, in fact.

So, I guess my question is this: am I seeing the power benefit from the custom tunes if I am using the strategy tune instead? I've got a suspicion that the timing and things from the custom tunes are different than what I can see in the strategy tune settings...and I do not want to be missing out on potential power simply from ignorance on how the tuner works.

Also, I've emailed the BAMA guys with ^^^ this information, wondering what's going on, I've got nothing back just yet.

...if it is a simple error in the programming, no problem, mistakes happen, let's fix it. If it is something I am not doing right, no problem, show me what I am doing incorrectly. But I need to know what BAMA thinks, and what the forum community thinks.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT)

If you have questions for AM you can post them in the AM section. Your concerns will get addressed faster.

Moved....
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Interested to see what answer you get. A BAMA tuner and tunes is my next purchase, probably when I go down for the Mustang Meet at AM in August. To me it make sense that the wrong octane setting would screw up the drive ability because it would ****** the timing to work with low octane gas. But that's my unprofessional opinion. I'll wait to hear what they tell you. Also personally I don't think you did anything wrong IMHO. Did you test drive it with just the CAI before you changed the tune, just in case something got messed up while installing it? Good luck, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I had a ton of issues with my bama tunes and re-tunes. I ended up running really lean and went to a strategy tune which fixed a lot. Wasn't running as lean.. Then boom! Engine went bye-bye..

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I had a ton of issues with my bama tunes and re-tunes. I ended up running really lean and went to a strategy tune which fixed a lot. Wasn't running as lean.. Then boom! Engine went bye-bye..
Oh man, i'm sorry to hear that.. Although, they are pretty good at what they do. Just doing a couple data logs for them and they can really dial in your tune. And they tend to run more on the richer /conservative side if anything... Maybe something else was causing it to run lean....

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Depending on what tuner you use Strategy tunes is slim on options and almost useless. You need a custom tune or the actual program they use to unlock that stuff. For the amount of money u spend on a tuner u might as well bite the bullet and get it dyno tuned for luke 500 bucks. I'd do that if i had to do it all over again.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
If you have questions for AM you can post them in the AM section. Your concerns will get addressed faster.

Moved....
Thanks. I'm off to class, we'll see what I learn today. I'll be sure to post anything relevant.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Ok, so I am pretty sure some of you have seen my recent write up on my JLT CAI install, and this kinda goes in with part 2 of my write up on how to use the BAMA SCT tuner.

--

Here's the deal; intake installed, fits tight and seems to work perfectly. Went to install the tune, and selected "13-GT-93S" which, according to the helpful guy working the phone at BAMA, is the street tune.

Loaded it, no problems, went for a drive and it stalled during idle at a light (just died, no throttle or clutch input from me at all). It seemed to have issues with hesitation and surge when accelerating in both 1st and 2nd gear....similar to how it feels when you are teaching a kid how to drive a manual and they aren't quite getting the clutch action down, and it jerks and surges. I drove maybe 20 miles on it and stopped and tried a different tune, this time the 13-GT-93P performance tune. Same deal. Tried the last one, the 13-GT-93R race tune, and it still acted the same. The only difference I could feel is how it would act at WOT, and changes to the powerband curve. I've also tried turning traction control off (changes nothing) and granny driving with ignoring 1st and just doing 0-30ish in 2nd...same problem, it begins to act up around 3500-4k. (btw, street is damned fun lower in the revs, when I could get it to act correctly)

I was getting pretty p*ssed, so I got to playing around with the tuner's settings. Kinda stumbled upon the 'strategy tune' part of the program, and got to see my settings. I noticed that it had my correct intake selected, and my .373 axle ratio, but it was listing 87octane instead of 93. I specifically remember requesting all of my tunes being set up for 93, it is all I run...so I wonder if my 3 custom tunes are also set for 87, and that is what is causing issues with hesitation and surge? I have no way of checking.

For sh*ts n giggles, I set up the strategy tune with my specs, the right octane, upped the idle from 500 to 650, and loaded it. The car runs great, the idle is smooth, and the acceleration is consistent and even...a lot like driving the stock car, in fact.

So, I guess my question is this: am I seeing the power benefit from the custom tunes if I am using the strategy tune instead? I've got a suspicion that the timing and things from the custom tunes are different than what I can see in the strategy tune settings...and I do not want to be missing out on potential power simply from ignorance on how the tuner works.

Also, I've emailed the BAMA guys with ^^^ this information, wondering what's going on, I've got nothing back just yet.

...if it is a simple error in the programming, no problem, mistakes happen, let's fix it. If it is something I am not doing right, no problem, show me what I am doing incorrectly. But I need to know what BAMA thinks, and what the forum community thinks.

Rynarok,

I'm sorry your GT is having troubles with our Bama tune. There's definitely something there we can fix! It's possible something was left out on the custom tune form, or that one of our guys forgot something when creating your tunes. Don't worry, I'll work with Bama to get this figured out for you right away. I promise you that our tunes will be much better than the strategy tunes.

The reason your strategy tune works is because you hand picked your mods. So to me, it sounds like we missed something on the form that will be an easy fix. Our custom tunes will run even better than the strategy tunes you're using as a workaround, now.

Please shoot me a PM with any previous order number from us and I'll get all of your info to one of my best guys at Bama. Thanks for your patients, we'll easily get your tune dialed in perfectly in no time!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, Shane...PM sent.

Hunch tells me that the tunes loaded into the tuner weren't accounting for 93 octane, but I have no real way of knowing without the tuner software in front of me.

I'll update as this thing gets figured out.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

BAM! See,AM is on top of the game.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey guys,

Just sent all of your info over to our lead tuner Mike Wilson! He's going to take a look at your tune and give you a call by this afternoon. I'm sure he'll have this fixed up in no time. PM me if there's anything else I can do!

- I also, replied to your PM.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Red alert.

Mike tried to get in touch with me yesterday, but couldn't answer as I was in class.

Error 1016. I went to load a different tune when I got back from class today, and it stopped in the middle and said 'failed' and told me to load the stock config. I tried to load the stock config and it gets to 'unlocking ECU, turn car on' i turn it on and....well, it just sits there staring me in the face. It quickly says ERROR 1016 and tells me that the stock config could not be downloaded. I've tried this this a few times (and letting it sit there for a few minutes on one attempt). I've unhooked the battery, hooked it back up, still nothing. The car is dead in the water.

I called AM today, they told me that BAMA is closed and to try again tomorrow during their business hours. So I'm gonna call tomorrow...in the mean time, I get to bum rides while my new GT gets to hang out brainlessly in my parking spot...and I get to answer stupid questions from my wife as to 'how did you manage to break your new car already?'

I'm pretty pissed and concerned.

I've been doing some looking around, apparently this is a somewhat common issue (over 100k hits in a google search?) and the fix is usually applying a recovery tune, which has to be loaded by the tune shop.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Either that or you wiped your pcm and need a new one... Ouch
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
Either that or you wiped your pcm and need a new one... Ouch
really, really hope that isnt the issue here.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Red alert.

Mike tried to get in touch with me yesterday, but couldn't answer as I was in class.

Error 1016. I went to load a different tune when I got back from class today, and it stopped in the middle and said 'failed' and told me to load the stock config. I tried to load the stock config and it gets to 'unlocking ECU, turn car on' i turn it on and....well, it just sits there staring me in the face. It quickly says ERROR 1016 and tells me that the stock config could not be downloaded. I've tried this this a few times (and letting it sit there for a few minutes on one attempt). I've unhooked the battery, hooked it back up, still nothing. The car is dead in the water.

I called AM today, they told me that BAMA is closed and to try again tomorrow during their business hours. So I'm gonna call tomorrow...in the mean time, I get to bum rides while my new GT gets to hang out brainlessly in my parking spot...and I get to answer stupid questions from my wife as to 'how did you manage to break your new car already?'

I'm pretty pissed and concerned.

I've been doing some looking around, apparently this is a somewhat common issue (over 100k hits in a google search?) and the fix is usually applying a recovery tune, which has to be loaded by the tune shop.
Rynarok,

Don't worry, it's just a glitch in the software that can be fixed! Call one of our Bama guys today when you get a chance and they'll get you in contact with someone at SCT. SCT will be able to recover your PCM and find out what the issue was. Then once they have you squared away, Mike Wilson should have some tune updates for you as well!

Keep me updated, I'll make sure you don't stay stranded!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Currently on hold with SCT...I'll call BAMA back after SCT gives me a recovery tune. Really hoping it is a small issue that can be quickly fixed.

The number for SCT is 407-774-2447 (for anyone else who needs help with a similar issue).
BAMA's is 888-226-9764. Make sure to have your order number and stuff.

---

edit/update, been on hold with SCT for 40 minutes already. Really hoping I can finish with them before BAMA is closed for the day...
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Jesus man, what a nightmare...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Update: After an hour and a half on the phone with SCT, no dice. I'm currently waiting on the ECU to reset via unhooking the battery for like 20minutes, and hoping that I can load the recovery file. I really like how the tech on the phone is like "Um, that shouldn't happen..." when we go step by step to load the recovery file and it gets stuck on 'unlocking ECU' four times.

If the recovery file fails to load after I unhooked the battery...well, the guy said he'd send me an email and I can call up the support line again (and spend another 45mins on hold I presume).

I'm starting to lose confidence.

Oh, and BAMA just closed, so it looks like I'm calling them tomorrow.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Still dead. Tried every trick that they included in the email, no response. SCT is closed for the week, I'm calling the dealer...maybe they can tow it. In the meantime, I'm removing the JLT intake and replacing it with the stocker.

----
update:

Ford roadside assistance called, the tow truck is on it's way. Stock CAI reinstalled (took all of 10minutes)....and now we wait and see. Can't say that I'm real happy about this situation, I wonder if/when the dealership fixes it if I can reapply the CAI and tune it without this happening again.

As far as I know, it's SCT's tuner that is causing the issue, not necessarily BAMA's tunes (even though I still needed a few wrinkles in the tunes ironed out). Can't say I'm real impressed with SCT's customer service either, I think I knew more about using it than the tech on the line did (and that was after waiting 45mins on hold, then spending another 90 minutes while he fumbled around with loading a recovery tune and giving me useless instructions that still didn't work).

I wonder what I should do now, it's pretty pointless to call the tech hotline now. I want to be able to reinstall my mods (for sh*s sake, I paid money for them!) but I am not willing to risk having this problem again if the tuner is the problem. I wanna raise the issue with SCT but I am unsure where to begin...maybe call AM and see what they say?

I'm pretty pissed.

Ideas?
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok
Still dead. Tried every trick that they included in the email, no response. SCT is closed for the week, I'm calling the dealer...maybe they can tow it. In the meantime, I'm removing the JLT intake and replacing it with the stocker.
I thought bama was closed on weekends. And the intake won't make a difference for what you're doing. And if you go to the dealer your warranty wont cover the pcm cuz you flashed it. Maybe you'll get lucky if they can't tell. I highly doubt it tho.

I didn't want to say anything but i've dealt with sct customer service in the past and they are not tht great. The guys at bama are usually the ones that can help out more... Matter of fact i think one of the guys over at bama wrote the one of the manuals for sct, but don't quote me on that one.

Did you accidentally unplug the tuner or maybe even have a loose connection while loading that tune? That would wipe your pcm for sure..

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:

----
update:

Ford roadside assistance called, the tow truck is on it's way. Stock CAI reinstalled (took all of 10minutes)....and now we wait and see. Can't say that I'm real happy about this situation, I wonder if/when the dealership fixes it if I can reapply the CAI and tune it without this happening again.

As far as I know, it's SCT's tuner that is causing the issue, not necessarily BAMA's tunes (even though I still needed a few wrinkles in the tunes ironed out). Can't say I'm real impressed with SCT's customer service either, I think I knew more about using it than the tech on the line did (and that was after waiting 45mins on hold, then spending another 90 minutes while he fumbled around with loading a recovery tune and giving me useless instructions that still didn't work).

I wonder what I should do now, it's pretty pointless to call the tech hotline now. I want to be able to reinstall my mods (for sh*s sake, I paid money for them!) but I am not willing to risk having this problem again if the tuner is the problem. I wanna raise the issue with SCT but I am unsure where to begin...maybe call AM and see what they say?

I'm pretty pissed.

Ideas?
To be frank man you'll be wasting your breath. I doubt they'd cover anything or give a sh. I'd cut your losses with sct once you that car running stock again. You can still use that intake, just have a knowledgable shop dyno tune it for you... More money, but it's worth it. Won't have the problems you're having now. That's for sure.. Sorry your going through this bs man. It's really messed up.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

When I first got my SCT tuner from AM, it came blank. No tunes, nada.

I called BAMA and told them. They emailed the tunes to me. I wasn't on hold too long. But when I tried to upload the tunes to the tuner and it wouldn't load. I spent two hours updating the tuner and still couldn't load the tunes. I then realized the tuner serial number did not match the serial numbers on the tunes.

The next day, I called BAMA and they sent me a new set of tunes that matched the tuner. I was able to load them to the tuner and upload them to my car. I haven't had any other issues with it since.

Be sure your tuner matches you tunes and double check the code on your computer.

Good luck man, I hope you get this squared away.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Update.

Dealer just called, the PCM is done. Not receiving signal from anywhere in the car, can't even get it to send a signal to the OBD II reader they have, nothing. Doesn't even interact with the software at the dealership...it is, for all intents and purposes, a 3,700lb $35,000 toaster. They're gonna call Ford on Monday to get a new PCM shipped....which should take about a week to arrive. Guess I'm bumming rides until then.

I'd like a response from American Muscle, this is obviously an issue with the SCT tuner and I'm gonna be very hesitant to hook up the tuner that I bought to my car once I get it back. I can't be the only owner who has had this problem. I see on the website that no returns are allowed for SCT products...am I stuck paying full price for another one? Is there any exchange program, I send in the one that killed my car and they give me a different one?

Gonna call on Monday.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update.

Dealer just called, the PCM is done. Not receiving signal from anywhere in the car, can't even get it to send a signal to the OBD II reader they have, nothing. Doesn't even interact with the software at the dealership...it is, for all intents and purposes, a 3,700lb $35,000 toaster. They're gonna call Ford on Monday to get a new PCM shipped....which should take about a week to arrive. Guess I'm bumming rides until then.

I'd like a response from American Muscle, this is obviously an issue with the SCT tuner and I'm gonna be very hesitant to hook up the tuner that I bought to my car once I get it back. I can't be the only owner who has had this problem. I see on the website that no returns are allowed for SCT products...am I stuck paying full price for another one? Is there any exchange program, I send in the one that killed my car and they give me a different one?

Gonna call on Monday.
Dude, if you use that same tuner again on a new pcm then you're definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

Go to a performance shop. End of story. Last one from me. Have fun, good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Geez, I wonder where the error was that caused your computer to fry. I hope AM refunds or credits you your tuner and goes through it to find out if it was a tune issue or the tuner itself if the dealer has any idea you've tried to upload a tune they wouldn't warranty a replacement.

I know how you feel. I had my mustang over 2 years before I tuned it. I was worried something like this would happen. I hope you get some answers soon.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
Dude, if you use that same tuner again on a new pcm then you're definitely not the brightest crayon in the box.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

Go to a performance shop. End of story. Last one from me. Have fun, good luck.
Yeah this specific tuner is not going to get hooked up to anything I own until the problem has been identified and fixed...kinda hoping for a way to exchange it for a new one.

I hear and agree, a local dyno shop would be the best option but look at it like this, I'm already $200+ bucks in the barrel for a tuner that just killed my car. The only mod I have currently is a JLT CAI...I can't justify a dyno tune with just one mod.

In the future, after it's paid off and I get a worked over exhaust, cams, long tube headers, alter compression.... hell, maybe even a supercharger eventually...thats the point where I'll find a local speedshop and lay down some money on a full custom dyno tune.

A BAMA tune will do perfectly for just a CAI (assuming the SCT tuner doesnt lobotomize the car)
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Wow, what a crappy situation. Let me jump in and see if I can help clear some things up!

1.) It sounds like there was a glitch during flashing the car. It could either have been a hardware issue that it lost connection with the PCM or a firmware (software) glitch inside the programmer. This is very rare and we only see it a few times each year, even with selling thousands of programmers per month. I think you'll find that SCT actually makes some of the most reliable devices on the market, and I'm sorry that you fell in the tiny percentage of devices that fail. However, I know between Bama and SCT, we'll make it right for you!

2.) We'll absolutely exchange the programmer and send the old one back to SCT for diagnosis. I'll make sure that we get that set up for you. We stand behind all of the products we sell, and would never want you to have to plug the same programmer into the car and take the chance of having this happen again. We'll hook you up!

3.) As for the tunes themselves, as long as they're written for the correct PCM code (which in this case they were), it wouldn't cause this problem - this is in the device. I can guarantee you that if the device had worked properly, you'd really be enjoying the custom tunes! With these new 2011+'s with wideband air/fuel ratio sensors, our mail order tunes on naturally aspirated and moderate forced induction mods are just as accurate and powerful (if not more) than most dyno tunes! All of the great places to get your Mustang dyno tuned throughout the country, all sell mail-order tunes, too. So that should say something.

The Bama team was in the office today, but they'll be back on Monday. Monday morning, we'll get working on this for you. We'll want to make sure that your PCM code stays the same when you get it back from Ford. Monday morning we'll ship you out a blank programmer, so that when you get it, you can plug in and verify that the code is the same or let us know if it's changed. We can then email you the tunes and you can start having some fun with your new CAI/Tunes!

Again, we're really sorry that you happened to fall into the small window of problems that happen with these devices, but we're going to work with SCT to get this squared away for you. We'll start calling our contacts over there Monday!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

That's good news!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Update:

The new tuner from BAMA arrived today, and I dropped off the old one at UPS. I'm impressed with AM's customer service, they really got busy right away with this process.

Got a call from the dealer, she should be ready for pickup today (I could hear the bored tech revving it in the background, actually). Warranty covered this one, the service manager made it a point to tell me that warranty may not apply if I come in with this same problem again. Sounds to me like someone saw that there was non-ford software installed, but they're being cool about it 'just this once'.

After class I'll pick her up, then give BAMA a call and get some tunes made for this new tuner...maybe even reinstall the CAI and see how she runs. Hoping for the best.

-----update edit-------

She's home! I'm relieved. The intake is going back on tomorrow, and I'm calling Bama if I get a chance.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Let us know how the new tuner/tunes work out
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Last update in this long saga:

Intake went back on, went to tune load a tune on the car: no dice, no custom tunes loaded on the device. I went back inside and called BAMA and spoke with their guy Daniel M. He looked up my order number and emailed me the updated tunes. I followed the included instructions, got the tuner drivers updated, loaded the tunes. Went back out to the car, plugged it in....and now I'm running very healthy on their 93R tune! Gotta say, I was kinda worried to use the tuner on the car again but it worked out perfectly and the car is running great.

So, in summary, this is what I learned:
Strategy is not, in fact, as powerful as a custom tune. It seems to be a mildly altered stock config.

Sometimes the problem is with the actual tuner device, not the tunes.

Let the car relearn it's idle after installing mods. 2mins without AC, 2mins with AC, another 2mins without. It should even out after this.

Wiping an ECU and having the dealer reprogram the car isn't fun, but I got lucky that they covered it under warranty.

AM's and BAMA's customer service is pretty good. SCT's isn't that great, from my experience.

Good numbers to have: AM 888-226-9764. Use option 3 to call BAMA directly.
Ford roadside 1-800-241-3673
SCT 407-774-2447
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Great read and thank goodness it all went well. I ordered mine on the 26th and should have it Wednesday. I hope it works the 1st time.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Last update in this long saga:

Intake went back on, went to tune load a tune on the car: no dice, no custom tunes loaded on the device. I went back inside and called BAMA and spoke with their guy Daniel M. He looked up my order number and emailed me the updated tunes. I followed the included instructions, got the tuner drivers updated, loaded the tunes. Went back out to the car, plugged it in....and now I'm running very healthy on their 93R tune! Gotta say, I was kinda worried to use the tuner on the car again but it worked out perfectly and the car is running great.

So, in summary, this is what I learned:
Strategy is not, in fact, as powerful as a custom tune. It seems to be a mildly altered stock config.

Sometimes the problem is with the actual tuner device, not the tunes.

Let the car relearn it's idle after installing mods. 2mins without AC, 2mins with AC, another 2mins without. It should even out after this.

Wiping an ECU and having the dealer reprogram the car isn't fun, but I got lucky that they covered it under warranty.

AM's and BAMA's customer service is pretty good. SCT's isn't that great, from my experience.

Good numbers to have: AM 888-226-9764. Use option 3 to call BAMA directly.
Ford roadside 1-800-241-3673
SCT 407-774-2447
You got really really REALLY lucky! Cool man. Be more careful next time
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, I planned on buying an SCT tuner w/ BAMA tunes at the American Muscle car show on August the 12th. This has me a little concerned. Mine is a 96 SVT Cobra with a Superchip installed on the PCM. For now it works fine, but it's a Generic tune, not a custom tune. That's why I want to buy a tuner. I'll talk to the BAMA TUNE GUYS at the show. Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney
Wow, I planned on buying an SCT tuner w/ BAMA tunes at the American Muscle car show on August the 12th. This has me a little concerned. Mine is a 96 SVT Cobra with a Superchip installed on the PCM. For now it works fine, but it's a Generic tune, not a custom tune. That's why I want to buy a tuner. I'll talk to the BAMA TUNE GUYS at the show. Spiney-Dave
I have a 96 cobra too. Use a sct power flash x3 on it, works fine. Bama does have its perks. If i had to do it all over again tho, i'd spend about a hundred bucks more and get a dyno tune. Every car is different.

I you do get one, just remember to update the programmer and all software before you dl tunes. Never ever unplug the tuner while it's in use and make sure the thing is fully plugged in. A loose connection can screw u and maybe wind up like this guy...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Spiney,

The issues with SCT devices are pretty far and few. There's been a few more lately than normal, but we send out thousands of tunes each month and most of our customers load them up right away and are ready to go! Occasionally there are errors, but SCT and the Bama team will work hard to get you back on the road and enjoying your custom tunes!

We've been talking with SCT for the last few weeks to get this updated firmware out there. The problems that we were seeing with back-to-stock failures are still very far and few, but a few more than normal. We've been manually updating our tuners before they ship to the newest 1.2.142 firmware, so that customers don't have to worry. SCT is confident that it's solved, and we've been testing the new firmware on our own fleet of Mustangs just to make sure! I'm very confident that you won't have any problems at all.

For each and every Bama Tune, we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique set up and intended use, in an easy to use web form. This information allows us to write an entirely custom tune just for your specific vehicle to ensure we deliver the most power and performance possible. We're constantly developing out custom tunes with the latest and greatest! Between our 14 different AM Mustangs and tons of street/track testing, and constant testing on our DynoJet 224xlc, we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. Our lead tuner Mike Wilson works hard to give you guys one of the best custom tunes on the market! We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance.

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
This may have been the scariest most wonderful outcome thread. So glad you were covered all the way through
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle