HeadLight Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
HeadLight Question

These are the the headlights I want.. They are in my cart.. Before I order I just have one question.. In one of the reviews for these or another I saw someone say to 'seal them up' before installing. What are they talking about? The best I can tell they are ready to install and use right out of the box.. I also plan to order them with the optional bulb...


http://www.americanmuscle.com/9498-b...hts-amber.html
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jredherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nottingham
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 32
Just go buy some clear silicon from parts store, it will help from water or any other thing from getting inside. I did this to mine when I got some, it just goes the whole way around where the plastic meets.
Jredherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredherr View Post
Just go buy some clear silicon from parts store, it will help from water or any other thing from getting inside. I did this to mine when I got some, it just goes the whole way around where the plastic meets.
That's just the thing.. I'm not going to drop $200 on lights that aren't built right and require silicone sealing to be used.. That make sense?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jredherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nottingham
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 32
You don't have to but it might help in the long run. You can also get lights off eBay for around $80 that are just as nice.
Jredherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredherr View Post
You don't have to but it might help in the long run. You can also get lights off eBay for around $80 that are just as nice.
That's where I'm confused I guess, how does it help?
I have always been under the impression that they need ventilation to keep from trapping moisture..IDK

I try not to buy too much off eBay, to much junk, and even with high rated sellers it can be hit or miss. Plus the best eBayer will not give me the level of service I get at AM and that's a big deal for me.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jredherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nottingham
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 32
There are little vents on the back side!
Jredherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jredherr View Post
There are little vents on the back side!
Nice! thanks for your help!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jredherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nottingham
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 32
No prob and good luck!
Jredherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

That's just the thing.. I'm not going to drop $200 on lights that aren't built right and require silicone sealing to be used.. That make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Makes perfect sense to me.
lol glad it's not just me!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

lol glad it's not just me!
I've been wanting a tinted set, but I read about the silicone and decided to wait. It doesn't make sense bc the stock lights don't need it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I've been wanting a tinted set, but I read about the silicone and decided to wait. It doesn't make sense bc the stock lights don't need it.
These aren't tinted, the inside of the housing is like a black chrome w/ a clear lens..
I'm thinking the silicone is not necessary and maybe a bad idea in the end..
I don't know for sure, hoping a rep will chime in here and give a clear definitive answer!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

These aren't tinted, the inside of the housing is like a black chrome w/ a clear lens..
I'm thinking the silicone is not necessary and maybe a bad idea in the end..
I don't know for sure, hoping a rep will chime in here and give a clear definitive answer!
Those sound even better, I'll have to check them out.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Those sound even better, I'll have to check them out.
They look smoked/tinted but should be brighter w/ the clear lens.. On my last Stang I ran 'Black out' covers.. Was pain taking them off and on.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
These are the the headlights I want.. They are in my cart.. Before I order I just have one question.. In one of the reviews for these or another I saw someone say to 'seal them up' before installing. What are they talking about? The best I can tell they are ready to install and use right out of the box.. I also plan to order them with the optional bulb...


Black Mustang Headlights (94-98) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
We recommend that you throw a little clear silicone along the outside rim, just as a percussion. The chances of it actually being necessary are slim, but it's just preventable maintenance. to avoid you any hassle! The headlights do have vents on the back to help avoid moisture as well.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

We recommend that you throw a little clear silicone along the outside rim, just as a percussion. The chances of it actually being necessary are slim, but it's just preventable maintenance. to avoid you any hassle! The headlights do have vents on the back to help avoid moisture as well.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Cool deal, that's all I needed! Ty for clearing that up! I'm going to sleep on it.. May go ahead and pull the trigger though as I'm def in need of new lights!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Is a little disappointing though..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
always...always...always seal any headlights you buy. brand spanking new or not always seal them yourself. it is $5 out of your pocket to run some clear silicon around the edges. Don't be disappointed it's called nipping any issue in the bud early. you'll waste 20 minutes of your day to let the stuff dry. AM has a good product so no worries...in fact i'll be ordering a set of black oem headlights soon
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
always...always...always seal any headlights you buy. brand spanking new or not always seal them yourself. it is $5 out of your pocket to run some clear silicon around the edges. Don't be disappointed it's called nipping any issue in the bud early. you'll waste 20 minutes of your day to let the stuff dry. AM has a good product so no worries...in fact i'll be ordering a set of black oem headlights soon
Cool deal, never bought any headlights at all.. Was just it was weird is all lol guess I've herd from enough ppl experienced in this to be convinced thanks guys!

Oh slow six, what do you think about the optional bulbs in the link? You seem to be well versed in bulbs? Are they worth the $30? I don't wanna go HID, are these as good as I can in a standard type bulb?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
if you dont' want hids then thats your best option..
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
if you dont' want hids then thats your best option..
Cool thanks!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i will say though if you don't mind spending a bit over $50 for bulbs sylvania has their ZXE series which is zenon and not halogen filled...i've put in a few sets for customers and it puts out a lot more light then the standard silverstars
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i will say though if you don't mind spending a bit over $50 for bulbs sylvania has their ZXE series which is zenon and not halogen filled...i've put in a few sets for customers and it puts out a lot more light then the standard silverstars
I can pick those up at Advanced auto or auto Zone?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Yea you can, just get you're bulb number
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Cool thanks again guys!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Ordered my headlights, I'll update when they arrive and are installed.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
From AM?
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Yup yup! $150 with the discount..

Could have went the eBay route but idk mind paying for customer service and piece of mind
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Nice good! Smoked style right
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Verne
Region: California
Posts: 535
I would highly recommend staying away from ebay housing, as they are usually poor quality. Check out blue oval industries and I've had luck with autopartswarehouse. Most will agree that eagle eye, and depo make great units. When looking at the lights, do research and see if they're dot approved; not that anyone gives a poop if they are road legal, but if they have spent the time and money to get their product dot approved, then I would suspect that the fit and quality is greater. That was at least the case with my clear corners, good fit, no condensation.
__________________
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Nice good! Smoked style right

I went 'Black' the lens are clear but the inside of the housing is like a black chrome. They look great on AM's Blue 98'.. Should look good on my White 95 I hope lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
I would highly recommend staying away from ebay housing, as they are usually poor quality. Check out blue oval industries and I've had luck with autopartswarehouse. Most will agree that eagle eye, and depo make great units. When looking at the lights, do research and see if they're dot approved; not that anyone gives a poop if they are road legal, but if they have spent the time and money to get their product dot approved, then I would suspect that the fit and quality is greater. That was at least the case with my clear corners, good fit, no condensation.
I got the ones in my link in the first post.
For the reason you stated I hope they are DOT
That's very good advice btw!!!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Nice post pics when up! ;good
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Nice post pics when up! ;good
For sure!!!! I think they will go great with my BLK&WHT theme.. Which I'm considering putting that on my tag lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Lol nice
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Verne
Region: California
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

I went 'Black' the lens are clear but the inside of the housing is like a black chrome. They look great on AM's Blue 98'.. Should look good on my White 95 I hope lol

I got the ones in my link in the first post.
For the reason you stated I hope they are DOT
That's very good advice btw!!!
Thanks! I've always liked the smoked look. Good theme you got going.
__________________
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:44 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.