Car shuts down for 2 to 3 seconds.then runs again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Car shuts down for 2 to 3 seconds.then runs again

I had my clutch safety switch replaced with an aftermarket one..I got the car back and one my way home the whole dash lit up like i was starting the car..i could feel it slowing down and boom right back to normal?? My tuner got a code that said the throttle position actuator had ice blockage...the car is already warm how is that possible..It did it again on my way to and from work today any help would be greatly appreciated before i go to the dealer to get rippid off!!
alant007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

alant007,

I know symptoms like these can really give you a headache, but lets see if we can get this figured out!

The first and easiest step to take when dealing with any drive-by-wire TPS is to uninstall the throttle body and clean it thoroughly. I've seen all sorts of issues with 05+ Mustangs caused by dirty TB's. Give that a try when you have a chance and get back to me.

Also, when did you have the clutch safety switch installed? About how many miles have you gone after the clutch safety switch installation before you started experiencing these symptoms?

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

shane
I put a steeda cai and bbk 62mm 15 months ago...picked car up friday and drove it about 12-15 miles before the first shutdown..my tuner gave me the code and i re-loaded the custum tune...didn't change anything.Sat on my way to work which is 20 miles it did it once for 2-3 seconds...then on my way home it did it once.. mon exactly same thing...tues on my way home it just plain shutdown,so i had it towed to the same guy that put the switch in.. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and calling bama..cause this guy isn't up to date on tuners!! I will appreciate any help you can give me from what i described..cause if i can do it myself,,I will...I just got headers and o/r x-pype from you guys so i'm fuming right now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alant007 View Post
shane
I put a steeda cai and bbk 62mm 15 months ago...picked car up friday and drove it about 12-15 miles before the first shutdown..my tuner gave me the code and i re-loaded the custum tune...didn't change anything.Sat on my way to work which is 20 miles it did it once for 2-3 seconds...then on my way home it did it once.. mon exactly same thing...tues on my way home it just plain shutdown,so i had it towed to the same guy that put the switch in.. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and calling bama..cause this guy isn't up to date on tuners!! I will appreciate any help you can give me from what i described..cause if i can do it myself,,I will...I just got headers and o/r x-pype from you guys so i'm fuming right now!!
alant007,

How long did you have the new clutch safety switch installed before you started experiencing these symptoms? One day (Friday)? I just want to see if we can rule this out or not, first.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Shane
Friday. the day when i had it installed...went to shop this morning with my tuner cleared codes and the car drove home fine about 15 miles...I want to see if i get the first code again about the throttle body actuator...if I do, should i replace that part or can that be cleaned??

Thank you
Alan
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alant007 View Post
Shane
Friday. the day when i had it installed...went to shop this morning with my tuner cleared codes and the car drove home fine about 15 miles...I want to see if i get the first code again about the throttle body actuator...if I do, should i replace that part or can that be cleaned??

Thank you
Alan
Alan,

You can try cleaning the throttle body on both sides of the plate. If that doesn't work, I would look at checking the clutch switch. It could be a faulty and cause weird codes to be thrown.

The way I see it, the car ran perfect before this new clutch switch was installed, correct? The only variable of the equation is that part. Since you started having problems instantly after installation, chances are the clutch switch is the problem.

That being said, it's possible some the throttle body actuator went bad at the same time, it's just not too likely. With the throttle being a drive-by-wire, its prone to issues if the clutch switch is faulty.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Shane
you are right on..cause now i'm getting codes that say right fuel rail pressure high...i'm gonna order the switch from ford and all will probably be fine again...Thank you very much for your input..you and A.M. are the best!!

Alan
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Sounds good! Let me know how it turns out with the new clutch switch. Also, thanks for the kind words and support!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

Shane
I put the switch in sat....and no check engine light...thats with about 100 miles over the weekend!! Thanks again for your input.

Alan
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Awesome! Glad to hear that Alan. Now you can finally enjoy your car again, without having to worry about it shutting off!

Hit me up if you have any other questions or concerns.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle