Cobra grille insert on fox body question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Cobra grille insert on fox body question

Just wondering if the svt cobra grille insert is actually the whole grille replacement and and if it works with the 93 lx body. The only reason I'm asking is because it doesn't say all bodies, or specify lx,gt or cobra, but it does say it improves air flow on gt models.

Also I got a 79-93 fox body catalog today and it says the grille insert is $34.99 and on y'all's site it's $54.99 (I believe), just wondering which price it is, or is it different because one has the running horse and one doesn't?

Thanks in advance!
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boomdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 681
The difference in the price is probably that the $34 kit does not come with the pony emblem and the $54 kit does. I could be wrong, but double check what comes with the insert because I almost made that mistake when I ordered mine a few years back lol

I had one on my '92 LX and it was very easy to install. It's actually probably easier to install on a LX than a GT because there is a lot less cutting involved for an LX - it's basically already cut perfect for it. All that comes in the box is the actual insert and the emblem, so you have to have some urethane and some body kit screws to hold it in place. You basically just cut the crossbar thing where the Ford emblem is over the grille opening either side where it goes into the bumper cover. I then urethaned the bottom corners and pushed it in place. I then took some body kit screws and ran one down on each top corner (the top that the bottom of the hood butts up against) from the top of the insert down into the front bumper cover to keep it in place. I had it on there for about 6 years before I sold it so I assume it's still holding up.

It's pretty easy to install, the hardest part was figuring out how to start cutting the old grille out lol

Before:


After:


Sorry, no install pics and I miraculously gained a Saleen lip kit, but it defintely looks a lot better with it!

Also, don't worry about the cuts looking that great, the insert covers up basically the entire grille area from turn signal to turn signal.
__________________
Torque: It's like crack for your right foot
Boomdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
The difference in the price is probably that the $34 kit does not come with the pony emblem and the $54 kit does. I could be wrong, but double check what comes with the insert because I almost made that mistake when I ordered mine a few years back lol

I had one on my '92 LX and it was very easy to install. It's actually probably easier to install on a LX than a GT because there is a lot less cutting involved for an LX - it's basically already cut perfect for it. All that comes in the box is the actual insert and the emblem, so you have to have some urethane and some body kit screws to hold it in place. You basically just cut the crossbar thing where the Ford emblem is over the grille opening either side where it goes into the bumper cover. I then urethaned the bottom corners and pushed it in place. I then took some body kit screws and ran one down on each top corner (the top that the bottom of the hood butts up against) from the top of the insert down into the front bumper cover to keep it in place. I had it on there for about 6 years before I sold it so I assume it's still holding up.

It's pretty easy to install, the hardest part was figuring out how to start cutting the old grille out lol

Before:

After:

Sorry, no install pics and I miraculously gained a Saleen lip kit, but it defintely looks a lot better with it!

Also, don't worry about the cuts looking that great, the insert covers up basically the entire grille area from turn signal to turn signal.
Thanks man! I'm not really worried about the running horse being there, I might do something different.

Your car looked great! Love that hood too, Mach style right?
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Boomdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Region: Ohio
Posts: 681
No problem. I think it was called a mach stallion or something along those lines. Pretty similar to a mach 1 hood but was a little more bubbly and had a higher cowl. I bought it from some awful company in Cincinnati called Cincinnati Composites which I'm pretty sure is out if business lol. The thing used to shift and curl up on the corners when it got hot out and the mounting bolt holes were absolutely worthless.
__________________
Torque: It's like crack for your right foot
Boomdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
No problem. I think it was called a mach stallion or something along those lines. Pretty similar to a mach 1 hood but was a little more bubbly and had a higher cowl. I bought it from some awful company in Cincinnati called Cincinnati Composites which I'm pretty sure is out if business lol. The thing used to shift and curl up on the corners when it got hot out and the mounting bolt holes were absolutely worthless.
Wow that's crazy.
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
OP,

Looks like Boomdizzle has all of the right info for you! Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
OP,

Looks like Boomdizzle has all of the right info for you! Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them!

Shane
Yeah he did actually, Thanks Shane.

P.s. y'all should hire him lol
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Tags
fox body

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:42 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.