MMD window louvers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
MMD window louvers

Hey guys so I bought some pre painted window Louvers from Americanmuscle.com. So I followed the exact directions that can with the Louvers when I applied them. The top off the Louver seems to be coming off, it's as if the 3M tape is not strong enough to hold the Louver.

I called them and they are sending me a new set.. I thought that was nice off them but after researching on removing the old Louvers I'm not happy anymore. It's gonna take serious work to get them off and the car will not be body off the car may have residue from the old 3M that the new pair may even look worse!!!!!
Has anyone had this problem?
Junior21gtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Junior21gtz,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had with your window louver being slightly bent. For some reason we received a bad batch and this one must have sneaked through to our inventory. However, I'm glad our Mustang Experts are taking care of you with a new set!

I also have the perfect solution for getting off old residue without a lot of work! 3M makes a product that easily removes old adhesive. In fact, it's called "3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover." Not only will this easily clean up old residue, but more importantly it's safe to use on your paint. You can pick up a can at any local auto parts store too!

I hope this info helps you out. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Junior21gtz,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had with your window louver being slightly bent. For some reason we received a bad batch and this one must have sneaked through to our inventory. However, I'm glad our Mustang Experts are taking care of you with a new set!

I also have the perfect solution for getting off old residue without a lot of work! 3M makes a product that easily removes old adhesive. In fact, it's called "3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover." Not only will this easily clean up old residue, but more importantly it's safe to use on your paint. You can pick up a can at any local auto parts store too!

I hope this info helps you out. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Shane
I wish I knew this information last week. One of my clips on my rear window louver broke and I ordered a set of them along with the clamps. The clamps were the biggest pain in my *** to get off. I used Goo Gone and a razor blade to get that crap off. I guess I did it the old, hard way. Hopefully I'll remember this for next time. lol
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had that problem. A big Pita to get the crap off. Not much was left on the car but getting it off the louver took forever.

They didn't have the 3m but they had some other junk that stunk to the high heavens but it worked. I didn't even attempt using it on my paint though. I'll have to read the can to see if its safe. I doubt it.

I redid the louver with new tape that I bought and that side is on there good now. The other side is about 97% on. It didn't adhere on the top left corner all the way. It's on a bit then comes up a bit and then on. I say about 3/4" worth maybe? It won't fly off or anything just OCD. There was some overspray of some sort but I didn't care that much and just put it on anyway.

I really like the look but I've had bad luck with 3m. True one I redid you can see the tape from the side (no biggie to me) but I had to do it 2x and it was clean and put on correctly the first time. It just didn't adhere.

My chin spoiler didn't adhere for crap either. It has came up in several parts butting is in there good enough plus it has screws. That one I did in 65 degree weather so that one is on my impatience. I may try "surgery" and cut little strips and see if that can work. It takes a lot of work to get the goop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-643273663.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	831.7 KB
ID:	124082  
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I just don't think it's fair that I payed good $$ for the pre-painted Louvers and took time to install them, now I have to take time and go through the hassle of removing the warped ones and put the new ones and pray that they are not warped as well!!! I work 7 days a week so time is something I don't have much of.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you. After you saying what you did i checked mine and they don't sit flush at the top. Its real obvious when you look from behind. The one side I had to do over was worse off and still is. I used wider tape on the redo and you can see the tape at the top and I can push down hard and it goes down bit it's almost as if 3/4 of the top is not stuck down but it's hard to tell as only a 1/4 of it moves when pressure is applied. Since its the wider tape I think it is stick farther down and adhered.

I like the look but when you are close it's obvious they aren't on perfectly.

Oh well. I'm 99% confident they won't fly off as they are stuck on there good.

But there is crud down in the gap so I'm sure the paint around that area is FUBAR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1949288399.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	124164  
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Oh great, i just ordered a set of these..... ugh
ironsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
On the bright side, I saved over $200 by not BUYING the Louvers.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And I just saved 15 percent on my car insurance.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
And I just saved 15 percent on my car insurance.
Hahahaha
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

If u get another set, just go to advanced or autozone and buy some better tape. That's what a lot of others have done and it makes all the difference. It will take whole lot to get them off now. Just being honest, the tape that comes with them is crap. I read that on AM and that's when I went and bought better tape. U will be so much happier with them.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What would you recommend as better tape? I'll revieve them tomorrow. Should i take off the tape and go buy better tape?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah. Most definitely. I got mine from a local Carquest. 3/8 I'm pretty sure. They have been on there for months now with no issue. It will work for u brother.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I'll be sure to do that
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Anytime. That'll fix u brother.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Beautiful Shelby, Ubnbit
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks brother. I got one not posted yet. Just for u. Ima add it tho.

Name:	image-3915760611.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	124729
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely gorgeous. Love those stripes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks brother. I really was patient to find what I wanted. I love it. It is my dream car.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Im glad you got it Did it come with the stripes? Or did you install them?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

It was bone stock when I got it. Everything after I have done myself. Louvers, once u get the right tape, will be easy. Lol. They sucked for a minute lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, got home from class and my louvers were waiting for me. Now i'll be honest. I used the 3m tape it came with and so far it looks fine on the car. I did not use the alcohol prep pads that came with it. Instead i used 91 percent alcohol in a spray bottle to remove my wax and sealant. Got it on the car and they look great. From i can tell there is no gap and it is holding very strong. I am very and i mean very anal about my paint. I do all my detailing myself and wash the car once or twice a week myself. There are no swirls in my beautiful black car I expected these louvers to have minor imperfections, which they did. A little piece of dust under the paint and some small marring. Once installed i hit them with m205 and sealed them and they're looking fantastic on the car. I am satisfied as of now.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, got home from class and my louvers were waiting for me. Now i'll be honest. I used the 3m tape it came with and so far it looks fine on the car. I did not use the alcohol prep pads that came with it. Instead i used 91 percent alcohol in a spray bottle to remove my wax and sealant. Got it on the car and they look great. From i can tell there is no gap and it is holding very strong. I am very and i mean very anal about my paint. I do all my detailing myself and wash the car once or twice a week myself. There are no swirls in my beautiful black car I expected these louvers to have minor imperfections, which they did. A little piece of dust under the paint and some small marring. Once installed i hit them with m205 and sealed them and they're looking fantastic on the car. I am satisfied as of now.
Post a pic
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Taken with iphone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8327.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	997.0 KB
ID:	124896  
Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Taken with iphone
Looks good

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Post some pics

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Taken with iphone
Looks good
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well bad news... It's starting to peel in certain places. Got new tape. Will try this tonight
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I got the red 3m tape. They didn't have the 3/8 size. Just 1/2. I went ahead and got it. Getting the Louvers off wasn't really difficult. Just the adhesive was difficult. I got as much off as possible then got my porter cable and had to compound then polish the rest off. So I'll have to cut this new tape to fit then hope to god this sticks. I do not want to do this again. Was this the tape you guys were talking about to get?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey guys, sorry for my absents! I was out of the office since this past Friday. I'll be more readily available in the future!

ironsurvivor,

Let me know how the new tape turns out. I haven't experienced any issues with the 3M tape that comes with the louvers, but if you find this 3M red tape works better, I may adjust our kits accordingly!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It is holding much much better. The 3m tape it came with was horrible. It held great overnight but when I drove around and let it sit in the sun it was peeling badly at the top. I went and bought 3m molding automotive tape. It's safe on paint and it is holding fantastic! It sat in the sun for 4 hours while I was at school and after when I went on a little drive and they are still holding perfectly. I was just about to message you guys urging you to change the tape you use
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-967580526.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	125165 This is the tape I was using. They only had 1/2 I would recommend the 7/8 but they didn't have it. I'm just happy I got this issue sorted

Luckily I had my polisher I was for my cars and all my detailing stuff that made it easier to get the adhesive off the paint
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, sorry brother. That's what I used except a little smaller. I don't think dynamite will bring them off. I just left little gaps for the water to come through.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Hey guys, sorry for my absents! I was out of the office since this past Friday. I'll be more readily available in the future!

ironsurvivor,

Let me know how the new tape turns out. I haven't experienced any issues with the 3M tape that comes with the louvers, but if you find this 3M red tape works better, I may adjust our kits accordingly!

Shane
Please do Shane. I think some of the ratings on ur site have even addressed it. It surly can't add that much to the cost. I have the same louvers and with the new tape, they are sweet!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I cant believe how strong this stuff is holding. This stuff is REALLY on there. Hey my fault. I let the moment get the best of me and not go buy better tape and i just put them on cause i was so excited... and it bit me in the ***.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #35
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
It is holding much much better. The 3m tape it came with was horrible. It held great overnight but when I drove around and let it sit in the sun it was peeling badly at the top. I went and bought 3m molding automotive tape. It's safe on paint and it is holding fantastic! It sat in the sun for 4 hours while I was at school and after when I went on a little drive and they are still holding perfectly. I was just about to message you guys urging you to change the tape you use
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Yeah, sorry brother. That's what I used except a little smaller. I don't think dynamite will bring them off. I just left little gaps for the water to come through.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Please do Shane. I think some of the ratings on ur site have even addressed it. It surly can't add that much to the cost. I have the same louvers and with the new tape, they are sweet!
Good to know.. Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to confront our Product Development Team and see what they think. IMO, as long as the 3M adhesive remover works efficiently with this molding tape, we should definitely switch it up.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the feedback!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle