Raxiom OE-Style GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-up Camera (10-14) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffola View Post
Its due to deliver Thursday, So either Friday or Saturday will be the day. I will take plenty of photos and detailed writeup will be done. I will also produce an install guide for AM (Love that $50)
Sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Dan,

Wondering if those who have installed it have used a satellite radio/GPS antenna cover for the antenna? If so, is the reception degraded or the same? I would be looking for to make it look natural.

MMD Satellite Radio/GPS Antenna Cover - Pre-painted 71326 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping 71326
Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #38

Region: Florida
OK, its here, I have a little paperwork to do for WORK and then this afternoon, I am going to do the install.

2015 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Lifted)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Jeffola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK, its here, I have a little paperwork to do for WORK and then this afternoon, I am going to do the install.
Sweet, Look forward to some pics and your thoughts. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #40

Region: Arizona
Dan,

I have a few questions about the installation.

Backup Camera
From what I've gathered the backup camera is supposed to be mounted above the license plate between the license plate lights. These means I will have to drill some holes in the fascia for mounting and to route the connection through? The pigtail that is attached to the camera has a small grommet on it that will fit in a hole big enough to route the wire through, but it isn't big enough to plug a hole the size needed to run the plug on the end of the pigtail or the black "pod" through. And speaking of the black "pod" on the pigtail, what is that for? Where does the camera get power from? I thought I read somewhere that the camera was connected to the reverse lights somehow, but there is nothing about that in the instructions. If it doesn't get connected to reverse lights does that mean it will have to be manually turned on when backing up?

GPS Antenna
My car has factory Shaker 500 satellite radio with SYNC. Is there a way that the Raxiom unit can use the existing satellite antenna for GPS/navigation? If not, is there a location that is recommended for the GPS antenna that comes with the Raxiom to be mounted? I would really like to keep it inside the car somewhere and preferably hidden in the dash; is this possible?

Look forward to your response as I'm anxious to install the unit, but would like to know these things so I can plan the work accordingly.

Thanks
ponyguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #41

Took about two hours with no rush on my part.

Typical (So I am learning) south florida day. Only drank one bottle of water during the install!

I began by installing the backup camera. The camera has a "DIN" plug and to answer Ponyguy52's first question, Yes, the easiest method to mount is to use two small self tapping screws and put two small holes in the upper part of the fascia. I took the left License plate light out, cut a notch in the corner and ran the cable through that opening. The lead ran up toward the left tail light (which you should remove to do this) and there was an unused grommet, I slit a hole in it, and ran the cable along with the existing harness through the trunk, on the passenger side of the car up to the Passengers side kick panel. While I had all that apart (NO TOOLS NEEDED FOR MOST OF THIS) I placed the GPS antenna on the dash in the bottom corner of the passengers side "A" pillar. Both the backup camera and the GPS antenna cables routed easilly across the dash beneath, and up into the radio cavity.

The installation was fairly straightforward. I removed the entire bezel of the center console from the back cubby to the front of the panel. I had to unscrew the shift knob and disconnect a few wires, but nothing difficult there.

Follow the directions, they do a good job of helping you go through the install. The removal of the head unit was the worst part, turns out the antenna cable is about 1" long, and a PIA to remove. Once I got it out, I swapped the "Buttons and knobs" from one face plate to another, plugged everything in and tested. I was in my garage and had no GPS, but it all worked. I put the car back together and it took ALMOST an HOUR to get the GPS to "FIND" the satellites and get me tracked. Once it did, it seemed good.

I had to put my new toy away and get back to reality, I will post photos tomorrow (YES, I PROMISE) and go over the operation of the system in some detail.

Let me say this. The radio, Satellite, Phone and Radio work great, look great and sound great. Your audio settings will get wiped out and you will easily figure it all out. I played with backgrounds, and a few other settings, but didn't get involved due to an evening commitment.

I have a 9am appointment tomorrow and will use that car and play with the GPS.

It seems to be really nice, and definitely worth the $699.

More info to follow.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyguy52 View Post
Dan,

I have a few questions about the installation.

Backup Camera

GPS Antenna
My car has factory Shaker 500 satellite radio with SYNC. Is there a way that the Raxiom unit can use the existing satellite antenna for GPS/navigation? If not, is there a location that is recommended for the GPS antenna that comes with the Raxiom to be mounted? I would really like to keep it inside the car somewhere and preferably hidden in the dash; is this possible?

Look forward to your response as I'm anxious to install the unit, but would like to know these things so I can plan the work accordingly.

Thanks
You cannot use the factory antenna, you MUST use the one supplied. I placed it on the dash, I will post photos tomorrow, I promise guys!

The backup camera goes on automatically when you shift into park, you can also (through the screen) turn it on any time.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Typical (So I am learning) south florida day. Only drank one bottle of water during the install!

I began by installing the backup camera. The camera has a "DIN" plug and to answer Ponyguy52's first question, Yes, the easiest method to mount is to use two small self tapping screws and put two small holes in the upper part of the fascia. I took the left License plate light out, cut a notch in the corner and ran the cable through that opening. The lead ran up toward the left tail light (which you should remove to do this) and there was an unused grommet, I slit a hole in it, and ran the cable along with the existing harness through the trunk, on the passenger side of the car up to the Passengers side kick panel. While I had all that apart (NO TOOLS NEEDED FOR MOST OF THIS) I placed the GPS antenna on the dash in the bottom corner of the passengers side "A" pillar. Both the backup camera and the GPS antenna cables routed easilly across the dash beneath, and up into the radio cavity.

The installation was fairly straightforward. I removed the entire bezel of the center console from the back cubby to the front of the panel. I had to unscrew the shift knob and disconnect a few wires, but nothing difficult there.

Follow the directions, they do a good job of helping you go through the install. The removal of the head unit was the worst part, turns out the antenna cable is about 1" long, and a PIA to remove. Once I got it out, I swapped the "Buttons and knobs" from one face plate to another, plugged everything in and tested. I was in my garage and had no GPS, but it all worked. I put the car back together and it took ALMOST an HOUR to get the GPS to "FIND" the satellites and get me tracked. Once it did, it seemed good.

I had to put my new toy away and get back to reality, I will post photos tomorrow (YES, I PROMISE) and go over the operation of the system in some detail.

Let me say this. The radio, Satellite, Phone and Radio work great, look great and sound great. Your audio settings will get wiped out and you will easily figure it all out. I played with backgrounds, and a few other settings, but didn't get involved due to an evening commitment.

More info to follow.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

You cannot use the factory antenna, you MUST use the one supplied. I placed it on the dash, I will post photos tomorrow, I promise guys!

The backup camera goes on automatically when you shift into park, you can also (through the screen) turn it on any time.
Awesome!!! Look forward to your photos.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #43

Taking a ride this morning and with between three and seven satellites I can't acquire GPS signal to navigate.

When I started my car this morning the sync module wasn't talking to the system because my phone wouldn't connect and no sync functions were operating.

Looks good but it's rather buggy.

As I'm sitting here I finally acquired enough satellite coverage to navigate. Let's see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1927302049.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	132253   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1060598225.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	132254  

Name:	image-424382901.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	132255   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-160996166.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	132256  

Name:	image-3532149691.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	132257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1604203325.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	132258  

Name:	image-224452081.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	132259   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3716829805.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	132260  

Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Taking a ride this morning and with between three and seven satellites I can't acquire GPS signal to navigate.

When I started my car this morning the sync module wasn't talking to the system because my phone wouldn't connect and no sync functions were operating.

Looks good but it's rather buggy.

As I'm sitting here I finally acquired enough satellite coverage to navigate. Let's see how it goes.
Great photos, and fit + finish looks OEM!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #45

The story of this product is "GPS signal lost"

Either a bad unit or antenna.

When I called yesterday American Muscle asked me to call Rosen, who does not take calls from customers. American Muscle told me I had to have Rosen authorize a replacement.

This unit is defective. I'll call AM after they open.

For the time being don't buy this. I expect better operation and service from AM.

It is un useable totally and completely. GPS in and out. More out than in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4161794020.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	132261  

Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #46

So I arrived at my destination and the unit never got signal back. As I'm sitting here it's telling me I'm speeding because it has no clue

I'm a few minutes early (no thanks to my gps) and I have to say I believe I have either a bad antenna or unit.

The look and operation are great. The performance is in question. I want a replacement shipped to me and I'll pull it out and replace it.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The story of this product is "GPS signal lost"

Either a bad unit or antenna.

When I called yesterday American Muscle asked me to call Rosen, who does not take calls from customers. American Muscle told me I had to have Rosen authorize a replacement.

This unit is defective. I'll call AM after they open.

For the time being don't buy this. I expect better operation and service from AM.

It is un useable totally and completely. GPS in and out. More out than in.
That really sucks! The first day I saw it I was on board and I was going to order one that night, but when the AM rep told me it required sync, that I don't have, it killed the deal. I decided to dig a little deeper and realized that it also cannot be used if you have the 6 disc radio, and it uses your factory radio!? So I have to use the just slightly above suck factory radio that i have and it requires sync that not everyone has!? So we are paying $699 down from $999 listed on the site for a 7" LCD navigation screen and a faceplate?? For those prices you can purchase a face plate that has the heating/ac controls on it for 250 on eBay, and get a 7-8" nav/CD/DVD/ new stereo for around $500 depending on what you want, that doesn't have restrictions like needing sync or a 6disc radio because it replaces it completely. IMO for this system to have any relevance it would have to be a lot cheaper, not require sync, and work flawlessly with no bugs. I'm sorry to hear your having problems with yours and having to deal with raxion instead of a simple call to AM for replacement.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
This is crazy. I have not had one problem with mine. From day one it acquired GPS signals flawlessly. I've never had a issue with sync, Bluetooth, or any of the other functions for that matter. This past weekend I took a over 1700 mile road trip to Kentucky and back with not a single problem. I truly hope they get you sorted out. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
That totally sucks! The first day I saw it I was on board and I was going to order one that night, but when the AM rep told me it required sync, that I don't have, it killed the deal. I decided to dig a little deeper and realized that it also cannot be used if you have the 6 disc radio, and it uses your factory radio!? So I have to use the just slightly above suck factory radio and it requires sync that not everyone has!? So we are paying $699 down from $999 listed on the site for a 7" LCD navigation screen and a faceplate?? For those prices you can purchase a face plate that has the heating/ac controls on it for 250 on eBay, and get a 7-8" nav/CD/DVD/ new stereo for around $500 depending on what you want, that doesn't have restrictions like needing sync or a 6disc radio because it replaces it completely. IMO for this system to have any relevance it would have to be a lot cheaper, not require sync, and work flawlessly with no bugs. I'm sorry to hear your having problems with yours and having to deal with raxion instead of a simple call to AM for replacement.
Raxiom IS American Muscle. I'm dealing with Rosen. They made it.

Look, if you have sync and a single disc player the integration is awesome. I believe I have a bad unit. My reason for buying from AM instead of Amazon. This unit is available from Rosen directly through amazon for $599. So the Raxiom splash screen on power up is not worth $100. The unit (which I believe is defective, when working) is a great deal. Now let's see if AM steps up to the plate.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I arrived at my destination and the unit never got signal back. As I'm sitting here it's telling me I'm speeding because it has no clue

I'm a few minutes early (no thanks to my gps) and I have to say I believe I have either a bad antenna or unit.

The look and operation are great. The performance is in question. I want a replacement shipped to me and I'll pull it out and replace it.
I agree, the look is fantastic! Good size screen that has an OEM look.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Look, if you have sync and a single disc player the integration is awesome. I believe I have a bad unit. My reason for buying from AM instead of Amazon. This unit is available from Rosen directly through amazon for $599. So the Raxiom splash screen on power up is not worth $100. The unit (which I believe is defective, when working) is a great deal. Now let's see if AM steps up to the plate.
Lol, I didn't know Rosen was the manufacture, but who ever raxion, Rosen, its not fun to be directed to someone for a defected part only to find out they don't deal directly with the customer and then have call back AM to see what exactly is going to happen next. In the end I'm sure AM WILL step up to the plate and get it figured out, they are awesome like that! Good luck!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #52

Spoke to American Muscle. They are sending a replacement out Monday and I hope and believe it WILL resolve the issues. They sent an ra and a prepaid ups label to cover the return shipping.

I asked for a little something for my hassle and they offered a bit of an insult. I told them that and they stepped up. I'll keep everyone posted on Friday of next week when it arrives and I get back from my next business trip to replace it.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Spoke to American Muscle. They are sending a replacement out Monday and I hope and believe it WILL resolve the issues. They sent an ra and a prepaid ups label to cover the return shipping.

I asked for a little something for my hassle and they offered a bit of an insult. I told them that and they stepped up. I'll keep everyone posted on Friday of next week when it arrives and I get back from my next business trip to replace it.
Good to hear, for this reason is why I order all my stuff from them, piece of mind!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Good to hear, for this reason is why I order all my stuff from them, piece of mind!
Me as well. And to be clear in sure this is a isolated issue. Looks like a great unit. I can't wait to be satisfied. I know I will be

Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #55

Quote:

More info to follow.

How does this work for manual transmission since there is no "park"?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyguy52 View Post
How does this work for manual transmission since there is no "park"?
I have a manual. What are you referring to?

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Oh. I meant reverse. I have no park

Old 10-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #57

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Oh. I meant reverse. I have no park
There was no extra work required, the camera automatically turns on when you shift into reverse?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #58

Yes. It's in the harness. Works great

Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #59

Quote:
Yes. It's in the harness. Works great
Sounds good, thanks for all the info you provided. I guess I'll take the plunge and install mine this weekend. Hope everything gets resolved with yours.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #60

So, today I finished some work on my car (Front Valiance) and (By the way, the old one is for sale in this forum) I decided to pull the facepanel and see if my connection was loose. It wasnt, I relocated the antenna on the dash and still no luck. IT LOOKS GREAT, The functions are amazing, its got to work.

They sent me an email with my shipping confirmation, i'll be home thursday afternoon, I will swap it right out. and let you know.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, today I finished some work on my car (Front Valiance) and (By the way, the old one is for sale in this forum) I decided to pull the facepanel and see if my connection was loose. It wasnt, I relocated the antenna on the dash and still no luck. IT LOOKS GREAT, The functions are amazing, its got to work.

They sent me an email with my shipping confirmation, i'll be home thursday afternoon, I will swap it right out. and let you know.
You need to post some pictures or get a garage for your ride here on ME. LOL I'd like to see the rest of what your ride looks like.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #62

Ok. I'll look into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1557189875.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	615.6 KB
ID:	132445   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-262579556.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	132446  

Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. I'll look into it.
Love it, looks great!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
Love it, looks great!!!
Thanks Alan. The black track pack wheels were too dark. It's a work in progress.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #65
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Navigation. Just like Smozilla, I have this Nav in my car and haven't had a single issue. Sync & Bluetooth work great, GPS works perfect as well.

I agree with you and it sounds like you may have a defective antenna/unit, I'd assume antenna. I'm glad to hear we got a replacement sent out and that we're sending a pre paid shipping label as well! I see that you were looking for a little something more for the inconvenience. Shoot me a PM with what you're looking for and I'll make it happen!

Thanks for posting up a great review and installation pictures. Keep up the great work with your build!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #66

I just got an email from tech support (not a great literary effort). They did send a video to get the gps status on the quick links. Once you've gotten a fix, this is the only way to access it that I've found.

Which I can't post from my phone. I'll try later.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Any word if there are plans to release a version for cars NOT equipped with Sync?
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #68
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
I just got an email from tech support (not a great literary effort). They did send a video to get the gps status on the quick links. Once you've gotten a fix, this is the only way to access it that I've found.

Please shoot me a PM with your order number included! I'm going to have our Customer Service Manager contact you directly. I apologize for the crappy service you'v received this far. This is not the type of feedback I'm used to hearing, I'll get you taken care right away!

-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
Any word if there are plans to release a version for cars NOT equipped with Sync?
We're note 100% just yet. Raxiom is working with the Manufacturer to see about doing something like this. I'll definitely keep you posted!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Alan. The black track pack wheels were too dark. It's a work in progress.
It always is.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote:

Is this an e-mail from Rosen or Raxiom or AM? This would be mute if AM is sending you a new unit?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #70

Rosen. Raxiom is AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle