Question about cams and tuning for 4.6L 2v - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Question about cams and tuning for 4.6L 2v

So I've been thinking of maybe getting cams next summer. I know that BAMA usually doesn't tune for cams, but what if I were able to install them and then do some datalogging and send it to BAMA? Would they then be able to give me a tune for it? Still on the fence about everything, but if i do then they will be Ortiz-performance regrind cams, for mostly just sound and a little bit of performance in the process; all I will need is a tune to make sure i can drive the car with no issues.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
I don't know if this is 100% true. Some cams require you to port and polish or head upgrade to the engine.
edit: did not realize your rank. I am sure you know this man.
Orbits will tune, just ask David.
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
So I've been thinking of maybe getting cams next summer. I know that BAMA usually doesn't tune for cams, but what if I were able to install them and then do some datalogging and send it to BAMA? Would they then be able to give me a tune for it? Still on the fence about everything, but if i do then they will be Ortiz-performance regrind cams, for mostly just sound and a little bit of performance in the process; all I will need is a tune to make sure i can drive the car with no issues.
We usually don't tune for custom ground tunes. There's a few select cams that we can tune for. I would recommend giving the Bama team a call and running your plan past them and see what they think!

Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Get Houston performance 292 cams!!!

Lemme know what AM tells you lol

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
We usually don't tune for custom ground tunes. There's a few select cams that we can tune for. I would recommend giving the Bama team a call and running your plan past them and see what they think! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away! -Dan
What cams CAN you tune for??
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
I don't know if this is 100% true. Some cams require you to port and polish or head upgrade to the engine. edit: did not realize your rank. I am sure you know this man. Orbits will tune, just ask David.
I've already done my research on the cams and everything. I just already have BAMA tunes so if I could get around paying 550 to have it dyno tuned I would like that.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Get Houston performance 292 cams!!! Lemme know what AM tells you lol ---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ---------- What cams CAN you tune for??
I decided with the Ortiz regrinds because they re-use stock cam gears and are not aggressive enough to replace the springs, so it's really just a swap out. And they are only $450

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
We usually don't tune for custom ground tunes. There's a few select cams that we can tune for. I would recommend giving the Bama team a call and running your plan past them and see what they think! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away! -Dan
I'll do that, but probably in a while since If I do get the cams I won't be getting them until the end of next summer.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
What cams CAN you tune for??
As long as it's a NSR set up, we can usually tune for it. If it's not a extremely aggressive cam, we can almost always tune for it as well! We'll just ask some questions about how it drives and do some datalogs and should be able to get you squared away.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
As long as it's a NSR set up, we can usually tune for it. If it's not a extremely aggressive cam, we can almost always tune for it as well! We'll just ask some questions about how it drives and do some datalogs and should be able to get you squared away. -Dan
Woah that's bad ***!!
I was doubting AM for a while but damn they're good!!
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
As long as it's a NSR set up, we can usually tune for it. If it's not a extremely aggressive cam, we can almost always tune for it as well! We'll just ask some questions about how it drives and do some datalogs and should be able to get you squared away. -Dan
Well the cams I plan to get don't require aftermarket springs so do you think id be good?
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
Make sure you call the dyno shop first. I live in MS and the closest tuner shop does not tune cams. Just my luck LOL I know to data log and e-mail tune. Is a dyno tune better? My uncle used his connections to get me a free e-tune.


t 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Woah that's bad ***!! I was doubting AM for a while but damn they're good!!
Meh..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Meh..
lol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Make sure you call the dyno shop first. I live in MS and the closest tuner shop does not tune cams. Just my luck LOL I know to data log and e-mail tune. Is a dyno tune better? My uncle used his connections to get me a free e-tune. t 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------
I don't want to sound rude, but did you read any of the posts above? I do not want to get it dyno tuned if I do not have to.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I don't want to sound rude, but did you read any of the posts above? I do not want to get it dyno tuned if I do not have to.
This is why I did not personally respond to you. Other people read our post for 411 and do not join. There are too many Mustang forums and ours should have the best information. I am not trying to take over your post. Just had a general question and thought it belonged here.
Cams are awesome! Congratulations!
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Well the cams I plan to get don't require aftermarket springs so do you think id be good?
Yes! We should be able to get your car dialed in without any problems. Feel free to give me your contact information if you'd like and I can have our head tuning specialist reach out to you. He can collect the specs on the cam from you and just make sure there won't be any problems!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Yes! We should be able to get your car dialed in without any problems. Feel free to give me your contact information if you'd like and I can have our head tuning specialist reach out to you. He can collect the specs on the cam from you and just make sure there won't be any problems! -Dan
BUT!!!!
Would this qualify under the free tunes for life or would it be extra??
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Yes! We should be able to get your car dialed in without any problems. Feel free to give me your contact information if you'd like and I can have our head tuning specialist reach out to you. He can collect the specs on the cam from you and just make sure there won't be any problems! -Dan
I don't even know 100% sure if it's going to happen since it all depends on how well my summer job next summer goes and how much available cash I have. I'll make sure to give them a call around that time.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
BUT!!!! Would this qualify under the free tunes for life or would it be extra??
Should be free since I already have the tuner for this car.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Sorry to thread jack but can you tune comp cams 262?
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
BUT!!!!
Would this qualify under the free tunes for life or would it be extra??
Yes, this would fall under free tunes for life.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
I would dyno tube for cams no matter what.....
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I would dyno tube for cams no matter what.....
+1
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I would dyno tube for cams no matter what.....
It'll get dynod eventually. Just need it drivable.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I would dyno tube for cams no matter what.....
I would too but 550 for one session is outta of the question when you plan to add maybe fuel pump, injectors etc. down the road in a decent time frame
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
That's why dd suck. Can't do ****. You can't just tear it down and work on it over time.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
That's why dd suck. Can't do ****. You can't just tear it down and work on it over time.
The Bullitt is probably going to be a show car after college. But right now I want cams and exhaust cutouts, just to intimidate everyone wherever I go.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I would too but 550 for one session is outta of the question when you plan to add maybe fuel pump, injectors etc. down the road in a decent time frame
Exactly. I mean AED is good, but id rather not spend $550
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
That's why dd suck. Can't do ****. You can't just tear it down and work on it over time.
Yea my plan is to get a beater by feb. an begin working on a forged 4.6 or build mine for now bama's tune will suffice for the cams i have now
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Bingo me too. I need a truck cuz dd winter drag radials mmmmm boy. Even with all seasons in screwed. That's my plan too rods pistons and cobra crank and boost it eventually.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:49 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.