MMD headlight splitters? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
MMD headlight splitters?

I just came across these on AM, they look great and the price is very good for the pair.

I do have one concern, how would this affect headlight visibility, because I do a good amount of night driving. That is also my parents concern about them, and why they don't want me buying them.

I would just like to know what affect on visibility they would have. I wouldn't think it would be much, because HID's are already very bright. Anyone have experience with this product?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I just came across these on AM, they look great and the price is very good for the pair.

I do have one concern, how would this affect headlight visibility, because I do a good amount of night driving. That is also my parents concern about them, and why they don't want me buying them.

I would just like to know what affect on visibility they would have. I wouldn't think it would be much, because HID's are already very bright. Anyone have experience with this product?
mustangz,

Good question! The MMD headlight splitters do reduce the projected light a noticeable amount, but I wouldn't call it bad. With factory HID lighting like your Mustang, it's far from dysfunctional. Most people still have no problem driving at night. However, there still IS a difference, just to be clear.

Hope this helps you. I know this is something easier seen in person than described!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
They indeed look great - they are on my build list too. According to the AM website, they don't impact visibility at all. That is the reason I am doing these instead of the smoked headlights; I too do some night driving and don't want to sacrifice functionality for looks. With AM, if they don't perform the way you want, you can send them back.

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Use your foglights. Problem solved
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Use your foglights. Problem solved

I always use my foglights when I drive.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I always use my foglights when I drive.
The fog lights are probably brighter than the HID driving lights. You're fine. If you can't drive or see with both lights on then the question isn't whether you should get the splitters but rather should you get your eyes checked out.

That or stop acting cool and quit driving with your sunglasses on at night lol
Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

MMD headlight splitters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
mustangz,

Good question! The MMD headlight splitters do reduce the projected light a noticeable amount, but I wouldn't call it bad. With factory HID lighting like your Mustang, it's far from dysfunctional. Most people still have no problem driving at night. However, there still IS a difference, just to be clear.

Hope this helps you. I know this is something easier seen in person than described!

Shane

Thank you for the response Shane. As a poster below mentioned, if they don't perform like I wanted(cut too much visibility) may I return them? If that is an option, I'll be ordering them when I get a chance.

One thing that would help, just a suggestion that may help future buyers decide, in the video with the splitters, could AM include a before and after for the lighting display?

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote:
The fog lights are probably brighter than the HID driving lights. You're fine. If you can't drive or see with both lights on then the question isn't whether you should get the splitters but rather should you get your eyes checked out.

That or stop acting cool and quit driving with your sunglasses on at night lol

I usually use them if I need visibility to the sides. Several on ramps in my area have wooded areas right next to them, so it lights the area better. I usually don't have them on in traffic.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you do a bunch of night driving I would seriously be looking at another mod to spend your money on. I think they look great too, but for the same reason I wouldn't get them is reduced visibility.

I'm sure their is something else on AM that would be more practical.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Right now I drive at night 2 or 3 times a week. When sports seasons are over, maybe once every few weeks.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right now I drive at night 2 or 3 times a week. When sports seasons are over, maybe once every few weeks.
Just drive with the fog lights on. Any night of the week is a good call to have added visibility. Besides I think its safer with it on because you are more visible to people especially in their blind spots.

Having 4 lights plus four corner LED light bars really makes you noticeable to idiots that try to cut into your lane.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have read reviews on these that they do not fit flushly on the headlights themselves. It was on my build list as well until I read some reviews
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just drive with the fog lights on. Any night of the week is a good call to have added visibility. Besides I think its safer with it on because you are more visible to people especially in their blind spots.

Having 4 lights plus four corner LED light bars really makes you noticeable to idiots that try to cut into your lane.

Truth,+1

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
I have read reviews on these that they do not fit flushly on the headlights themselves. It was on my build list as well until I read some reviews

Where were the reviews? I tried searching for some, but couldn't find anything except for the reviews on AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Can't recall, buy remember reading it somewhere.
Maybe they rushed the install...

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Can't recall, buy remember reading it somewhere.
Maybe they rushed the install...

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

That's my guess, or a bad part. Either way, that one seems odd.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
If you do a bunch of night driving I would seriously be looking at another mod to spend your money on. I think they look great too, but for the same reason I wouldn't get them is reduced visibility.

I'm sure their is something else on AM that would be more practical.

Good luck.
Amen. Why is it that folks will put "cool" over function? Not only does it affect the driver, but if his/her projected light hampered (even slightly), it can also be a hazard to those that share the road with you.

IMO, they should not be sold. If they "do reduce the projected light a noticeable amount", why are they being sold?!?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I just installed these a couple days ago and haven't noticed any difference in visibility. The install is easy but very meticulous, because 3M and their adhesive promoter are unforgiving. The fitment isn't perfect, but not really noticeable to anyone but the person putting them on.

And to bucko: Window tint reduces visibility more than these do. As do tinted headlight covers and smoked tail lights.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I suspect that these have much less of a negative impact on the light output of halogen reflectors than they do on HIDs. The light leaving the headlight of a reflector is more dispersed so the splitter obscures a significantly smaller percentage of the beam. Just a theory.

CandyRed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thank you for the response Shane. As a poster below mentioned, if they don't perform like I wanted(cut too much visibility) may I return them? If that is an option, I'll be ordering them when I get a chance.

One thing that would help, just a suggestion that may help future buyers decide, in the video with the splitters, could AM include a before and after for the lighting display?
mustangz,

If you truly feel the light output is unbearable at night, I'll setup a full refund. However, I don't think that will be an issue at all. Even with the splitters installed, the 13-14 Mustang HID's produce more light than most cars on the street running halogen bulbs!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Amen. Why is it that folks will put "cool" over function? Not only does it affect the driver, but if his/her projected light hampered (even slightly), it can also be a hazard to those that share the road with you.

IMO, they should not be sold. If they "do reduce the projected light a noticeable amount", why are they being sold?!?
As I mentioned above, there projected light difference is very minimum and in no way a hazard. These 13-14 Mustangs produce a ton of light through the factory HID's! The projected light is reduced a noticeable amount if you play close attention to detail, it's not something drastic by any means.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I do a bunch of night driving with dark tinted headlights. I wouldn't consider them a hazard. You just need to know that your visibility is lower and be more cautious and reduce speed a little.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
mustangz,

If you truly feel the light output is unbearable at night, I'll setup a full refund. However, I don't think that will be an issue at all. Even with the splitters installed, the 13-14 Mustang HID's produce more light than most cars on the street running halogen bulbs!

Shane

As I mentioned above, there projected light difference is very minimum and in no way a hazard. These 13-14 Mustangs produce a ton of light through the factory HID's! The projected light is reduced a noticeable amount if you play close attention to detail, it's not something drastic by any means.

Shane

I don't think that it would be much of a lighting difference, and with AM's great customer service, I'll be telling my parents(I have to tell them about any possible order) and hopefully they say that I can.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I just installed these a couple days ago and haven't noticed any difference in visibility. The install is easy but very meticulous, because 3M and their adhesive promoter are unforgiving. The fitment isn't perfect, but not really noticeable to anyone but the person putting them on.

And to bucko: Window tint reduces visibility more than these do. As do tinted headlight covers and smoked tail lights.
Yes, you would be correct, and would not recommend them either.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I do a bunch of night driving with dark tinted headlights. I wouldn't consider them a hazard. You just need to know that your visibility is lower and be more cautious and reduce speed a little.
Yea, right. That's the ticket!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRed11 View Post
I suspect that these have much less of a negative impact on the light output of halogen reflectors than they do on HIDs. The light leaving the headlight of a reflector is more dispersed so the splitter obscures a significantly smaller percentage of the beam. Just a theory.

Perhaps true but the shear incandescent superiority of the HID makes up for the sepia yellow cast by halogens.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think that it would be much of a lighting difference, and with AM's great customer service, I'll be telling my parents(I have to tell them about any possible order) and hopefully they say that I can.
Ask your parents just exactly how many lights do they deem safe and enough?

You have two projector lamps, two HID foglights. And four LED light bars. With the splitter u will end up with four projector lamps cuz at even half the power the HID projectors are brighter than a halogen.

So by splitting it you will have:
four projector lamps, two HID foglights. And four LED light bars

That's a total of 10 lights lol
Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ask your parents just exactly how many lights do they deem safe and enough?

You have two projector lamps, two HID foglights. And four LED light bars. With the splitter u will end up with four projector lamps cuz at even half the power the HID projectors are brighter than a halogen.

So by splitting it you will have:
four projector lamps, two HID foglights. And four LED light bars

That's a total of 10 lights lol

I agree and think that it is fine, but all my parents hear is reduced light, no matter how small it is... I'm almost tempted to order them myself, because I have enough money to order them, as well as install. Thank God for Christmas money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle