Does AM have any suspension advisors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Does AM have any suspension advisors?

My 2013 MCA (non-performance pack) is just getting cosmetic upgrades for now, After Charlotte, I plan on starting my suspension upgrades. I am looking at a mild lowering with the Ford Racing N springs. Going with the Whiteline sway bars, LCAs, UCA, pan hard bar and brace. The Koni STR.T shocks/struts w/ the GT500 strut mount. I am looking at better handling and less jarring on rough roads. I do not plan on racing, but want less nose dive when braking, and less wallow in turns.

Is there any particular order that I should install the parts? Any parts that I should not install without another part(s)? The front strut, because of lowering will require adjustable strut mounts, but do I use the 05-10 Koni struts or the 11-14 struts? I know AM has their in-house brand parts, but I like what Whiteline has, and the Konis.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I'm just going to list off what I would do, some of these may or may not be on your list...

1. Full length subframe connectors (Welded in)
2. Whiteline Watts link (Much better than panhard bar, worth the extra $)
3. LCAs
4. Springs/Shocks/Struts (all at the same time is best)
5. UCAs
6. Front and rear sway bars

And don't forget the CC plates and Bumpsteer kit.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
My 2013 MCA (non-performance pack) is just getting cosmetic upgrades for now, After Charlotte, I plan on starting my suspension upgrades. I am looking at a mild lowering with the Ford Racing N springs. Going with the Whiteline sway bars, LCAs, UCA, pan hard bar and brace. The Koni STR.T shocks w/ the GT500 strut mount. I am looking at better handling and less jarring on rough roads. I do not plan on racing, but want less nose dive when braking, and less wallow in turns. Is there any particular order that I should install the parts? Any parts that I should not install without another part(s)? The front strut, because of lowering will require adjustable strut mounts, but do I use the 05-10 Koni struts or the 11-14 struts? I know AM has their in-house brand parts, but I like what Whiteline has, and the Konis.
I don't think the 11+ struts work with the gt500 mounts. U can double check with bama but I'm pretty sure since those shocks won't fit a shelby I'm sure they won't fit the struts.
So u can either go with 05-10 struts or go with 11+ & get cc plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I don't think the 11+ struts work with the gt500 mounts. U can double check with bama but I'm pretty sure since those shocks won't fit a shelby I'm sure they won't fit the struts.
So u can either go with 05-10 struts or go with 11+ & get cc plates.
I am thinking the same thing, but wanted to check first.

I am interested in the Whiteline Watts linkage, and it would delete the pan hard bar and brace. I remember seeing someone post that it would also eliminate the UCA, but I have troubles with that concept. The big problem is that the pan hard bar and brace are items that would be ideal for installing early in the process. My order of replacement at this time is:
Pan hard bar/brace
LCA
UCA
Sway bars
shocks
struts/springs/CC plates

Since I do not plan on racing, I don't see a need for additional frame bracing, but long-term, I am considering replacing the driveshaft. If I do, then I will add safety loops which will also add stiffening.

Most of this work is going to be down one item at a time, unless I come into a windfall. I allocated about $150+/month for upgrades, but it comes down to keeping my wife happy, and she does the budget.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
I am thinking the same thing, but wanted to check first.

I am interested in the Whiteline Watts linkage, and it would delete the pan hard bar and brace. I remember seeing someone post that it would also eliminate the UCA, but I have troubles with that concept. The big problem is that the pan hard bar and brace are items that would be ideal for installing early in the process. My order of replacement at this time is:
Pan hard bar/brace
LCA
UCA
Sway bars
shocks
struts/springs/CC plates

Since I do not plan on racing, I don't see a need for additional frame bracing, but long-term, I am considering replacing the driveshaft. If I do, then I will add safety loops which will also add stiffening.

Most of this work is going to be down one item at a time, unless I come into a windfall. I allocated about $150+/month for upgrades, but it comes down to keeping my wife happy, and she does the budget.
Bear376,

Sounds like you have a decent grip on what you need. You obviously have done your homework! I can help clarify the grey areas for you though.

If you purchase any struts designed to fit an 11-14 v6 or GT, you won't be able to use the GT500 strut mounts. If you do want to use the GT500 strut mounts, than just purchase struts fitted for 05-10 v6 or GT's. They're actually a hair cheaper too.

IMO, there's not much purpose to buying the GT500 strut mounts when you can pick up struts to fit your factory mounts. A lot of people feel the factory mounts are terrible and I'll be honest they're not the greatest. However, they still work and can be used again if disassembled correctly. This decision is up to you, I personally would save the extra cash on GT500 strut mounts.

The Whiteline Watts-link is an incredible rear end stabilizer. It's stability really shines around a road course or track though. Personally, I don't think it's necessary for a build like yours, which won't ever see the track. Even if you hit the track a few times a year, it's a tough call when keeping a budget it mind.

I agree Whiteline is a great brand and they really know their stuff. In replace of the Watts-Link, I would use the Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar. Which will increase stability and allow you to recenter your rear axle under the car, after adding lowering springs.

As far as an order to purchasing suspension components, I would make sure the following are purchased first and installed together.

- Lowering springs
- Adj Panhard Bar
- Adj LCA's

Once you have these down and you're looking for additional improvements. Then go with an adj UCA, struts & shocks, bumpsteer kit, and sway bars.

If you have more suspension questions, let me know. This will completely change the feel of your Mustang on the road! I think you'll be more than happy with the end result!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle