Suspension Upgrades For Convertible Owners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Sponsors Spotlight > AmericanMuscle

Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Suspension Upgrades For Convertible Owners

I have read many posts on suspension upgrades but from what I have read the options are different for convertible owners. Can you please give me a list of options for upgrading my suspension on my 2014 V6 convertible?
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh View Post
I have read many posts on suspension upgrades but from what I have read the options are different for convertible owners. Can you please give me a list of options for upgrading my suspension on my 2014 V6 convertible?
The only differences between suspension components on the S197 verts or couples, is usually the lowering spring rates. The rest of the suspension is exactly the same and uses the same rated components.

With that being said, even half the convertible guys out there use the same aftermarket rated springs as the couples. You'll notice lots of lowering spring brands claim to support couples or convertibles, instead of one or the other.

Honestly, I would figure out what you want from the car. If it's just a weekend cruiser or daily driver or road racing machine, there's different direction you can take. Also, what kind of budget are you planning around?

If you can figure that out, I'll post up some direct links to my recommendations!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Thanks Shane. I'm looking at about a $3000 budget. Mine is a daily driver. I am looking for something that can handle cornering a little better and a nicer feel. Maybe I am asking for too much as I came from a WRX STI. I am not expecting to get the same kind of handling as I know they are two different cars and sizes. Just want to make the car feel a little more stable when cornering. Thanks for any input you might have.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh View Post
Thanks Shane. I'm looking at about a $3000 budget. Mine is a daily driver. I am looking for something that can handle cornering a little better and a nicer feel. Maybe I am asking for too much as I came from a WRX STI. I am not expecting to get the same kind of handling as I know they are two different cars and sizes. Just want to make the car feel a little more stable when cornering. Thanks for any input you might have.
Shockesh,

I think your goals are easily obtainable with that budget. Below is a list of my recommendations to start with. Suspension is endless, so if you want to improve from there, I can point you in the right direction.

You have a couple options as far as springs. Honestly, I've found the SR Performance Springs tend to give a better ride than most lowering springs. They'll also drastically reduce body roll and improve overall handling. With that being said, they aren't as high of a performance spring as say Eibach, Steeda, or H&R. Although, my perception is that you would rather sacrifice a little handling for a smoother ride, correct?

Next, an adjustable panhard bar is mandatory to recenter your rear axle from lowering the car. You don't need anything crazy here for a DD. I would go with J&M or SR Performance again for the panhard bar. Both of these options are more affordable the others and will perform perfectly for your application.

To give yourself a perfect alignment, you can use the fully adjustable Caster/Camber plates or you can use Eibach camber bolts. Either of these will work fine for a daily driver that's only been dropped 1.5". If you were racing the car constantly, than I would recommend the CC plates. So, this decision is more up to you. If it were my DD, I'd probably just use the camber bolts and save some cash.

Lastly, to improve your handling and ride quality. I suggest upgrading to Koni STR.T struts & shocks. Upgrading the factory dampeners is not mandatory by any means, however you'll see a solid improvement in comfort and performance with these Koni dampeners. I think these will help bring back a similar feel you had when driving the WRX.

One more thing I'd like to mention. It's not a bad idea to upgrade your Lower Control Arm's and Upper Control Arm. As you'll correct some of the factory suspension geometry that was lost when lowering the car. Neither of these control arm are mandatory, but you may experience harsh "wheel hop" during hard acceleration after lowering the car. This is because the pinion angle of rear differential is way off AND because the factory control arms tend to flex under load. Upgrading the LCA and UCA will fix this issue for you. I think you should just keep this in mind if it becomes a problem down the road.

Hope this info helps you out! Hit me up if you have more questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Sponsors Spotlight > AmericanMuscle