What else can I get for power and torque - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Region: Texas
What else can I get for power and torque

So I just bought long tube headers from American muscle, a gear set of 3.73, high performance intake manifold from American muscle, forged crankshaft, cold air intake from pro tuning lab, and rear window louvers. I need some advice on what else I can buy to increase my torque and hp to be drag ready. Thank you for you seeing this and advice. You guys have a good day!
Taylorbrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
For more power and more peak torque, I'd look into a set of FRPP Hot Rod camshafts. They'll shift the powerband a little higher into the RPM's and take full advantage of the LT headers and intake manifold you just picked up. You're at the full bolt-on marker, which is when aftermarket camshafts really shine!

I gotta ask though, why did you buy a forged crankshaft? Are you having the shortblock rebuilt? I'm assuming you're planning on forging the connecting rods and pistons at the same time?

Unless you're interested in running lots of boost or nitrous, there's really no need to forged your engine either. The factory internals hold up fine with naturally aspirated applications.

Give me a shout if you have anymore questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

The reason why I bought a forged crankshaft is because the 4.6 motor only can handle about 450 hp with bolt ons, and tune ups. So I figured to be safe I would buy that. And yes I do plan on forging rods and heads. But I'm going to buy everything at once and put it on all at once so can do a complete dunno tune on the mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Do you pan on running boost or nitrous in the near future? Otherwise, you won't be anywhere near the limit of the 3v 4.6 shortblock limit. The 05-10 GT's are able to consistently handle 450-470rwhp with a proper tune, which is over 500hp to the crank shaft. With all of the mods listed above and a set of aftermarket camshafts, you'll be around 330-340rwhp tops. Which is plenty safe for the stock bottom end.

This may be something you want to think about before building your rotating assembly up. As you could use this money to purchase camshafts and port the factory heads. Which will help produce even more power N/A, yet no where near the limit of your shortblock.

Regardless, it sounds like a fun project. Hope you have fun with all of the new mods!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

Thank you for the advice. Good thing I bought that crank today so I can just cancel that order then. So my next question is, what single product can provide me with the most power?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

My pleasure! Glad I could help you out with your build.

Now that you have almost every bolt-on mod, your the next best step would be to upgrade the camshafts and valve train. I'd go with an aftermarket set of camshafts, timing chain, and timing chain tensioner for good measure. You don't want the time or tensioners to go bad down the road when you've recently had the engine part. Depending on how radical of camshafts you choose, you may need cam phaser limiters too.

If it's in your budget, I would have the cylinder heads ported, polished, and possibly milled for a higher compression. You would want to do this at the same time as the camshafts because the install would be much cheaper. Of course, if you don't plan to mod the cylinder heads at all, you'll still benefit from the camshaft upgrade.

Give me a better idea of your overall plans for the car. What kind of power goals do you have? What kind of budget you have to use for the next round of upgrades?

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Tags
texas