Poweraid spacer and BBK 73mm throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Poweraid spacer and BBK 73mm throttle body

Hey guys...I did some research on this but could not really find much...

I have a 2013 V6 with (amongst many other mods...) a BBK 73mm throttle body purchased through American Muscle.

I was looking at getting a poweraid throttle spacer as well, but I am not finding much info on compatibility between the 2 accessories...American Muscle doesn't mention anything...

Anyone have a clue ?

Thanks
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I would venture to bet most will tell you to dave your money for something else.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Hey guys...I did some research on this but could not really find much...

I have a 2013 V6 with (amongst many other mods...) a BBK 73mm throttle body purchased through American Muscle.

I was looking at getting a poweraid throttle spacer as well, but I am not finding much info on compatibility between the 2 accessories...American Muscle doesn't mention anything...

Anyone have a clue ?

Thanks
Grom

That's a good question and the Spacer is meant to be used in conjunction with the factory throttle body. I caught a ride in an employees V6 that had this equipped and while it produced a little more noise I honestly didn't feel that much of an improvement! This is just my .02! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for the advices...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advices...
Anytime! Let me know if there's anything else I can help out with I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to Airaid and they said if the butterfly valve is not obstructed, so do a visual before actually installing it...then it can work.

...but...how about performance ? Has anyone ever tried this ???? I may have to dyno it..only way I guess. Airaid say they have never tested it with an aftermarket enlarged throttle body.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey everyone...so, since it has been so hard to find any info on these 2 mods going together, I wanted to share my results on here for whomever encounters this in the future.

Wow !

I did a visual inspection of the butterfly valve in the BBK 73mm throttle body to make sure the valve does not hit any obstruction when mounted with the AIRIAD POWERAID SPACER (per airaid customer service suggestion...)...none whatsoever, actually they fit together quite nicely despite the smaller diameter of the spacer which is built to fit the OEM stock throttle body.

I installed it, reset the KAM in the computer using the SCT tuner...this way it clears all the computer memory and starts fresh.

I tried the car and was really impressed...now, I know there is a lot of anti-spacer "save your money for something else" attitude out there...but my issue with these engines is in the low end, where they suffer a little before they get up there and thrive...so my intention was to resolve that.

I swear to God it's a beauty...now perhaps it's a combination of all the mods I have (who the heck knows right ?), I listed them below...but with this spacer on I am feeling :

1. Far better throttle response than before, the car is really aggressive
2. Definite push on the low end that was NOT there before and it gets up high far faster than previously
3. The sound is wonderful...there's that whistle that almost emulates a turbo.

No check engine light, no DTCs from the computer...I checked...

so verdict ? Whetehr it's a combo of my mods I cannot say, but after being wary of the compatibility between the increased throttle body mod (BBK 73mm) and the POWERAID SPACER that is built for the stock throttle body diameter; I can safely say this worked like a friggin' charm for me.

BBK's theory is that whilst the diameter of the spacer is made for the stock size throttle, the bore that it has, to allow for air speed up and circulation, makes the outer diameter (pre-bore) of the opening the same as the increased 73mm throttle...if that makes any sense.

I am running a 2013 convert V6 engine with :

- BAMA race tune 91
- JLT Cold air intake
- BBK 73mm throttle body
- PYPES axle back exhaust (muffler deletes - BOMB)
- FORD RACING X PIPE
- JLT OIL SEPARATOR
- ROYAL PURPLE OIL

Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Site Sponsor

Grom,

Thanks for posting this up! This is news to me about the compatibility and I'm going to have this link sent over to the appropriate teams here so we can look at having the listing changed. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying it so much and that's it's improving the low end so drastically. This is a great review/writeup and I think you should make a separate post for it! Let me know if there's anything I can help out with in the meantime and I apologize for the misinformation on my end!

Alex

Quote:
I talked to Airaid and they said if the butterfly valve is not obstructed, so do a visual before actually installing it...then it can work.

...but...how about performance ? Has anyone ever tried this ???? I may have to dyno it..only way I guess. Airaid say they have never tested it with an aftermarket enlarged throttle body.

Quote:
Hey everyone...so, since it has been so hard to find any info on these 2 mods going together, I wanted to share my results on here for whomever encounters this in the future.

Wow !

I did a visual inspection of the butterfly valve in the BBK 73mm throttle body to make sure the valve does not hit any obstruction when mounted with the AIRIAD POWERAID SPACER (per airaid customer service suggestion...)...none whatsoever, actually they fit together quite nicely despite the smaller diameter of the spacer which i built to fit the OEM stock throttle body.

I installed it, reset the KAM in the computer using the SCT tuner...this way it clears all the computer memory and starts fresh.

I tried the car and was really impressed...now, I know there is a lot of anti-spacer "save your money for something else" attitude out there...but my issue with these engines is in the low end, where they suffer a little before they get up there and thrive...so my intention was to resolve that.

I swear to God it's a beauty...now perhaps it's a combination of all the mods I have (who the heck knows right ?), I listed them below...but with this spacer on I am feeling :

1. Far better throttle response than before, the car is really aggressive
2. Definite push on the low end that was NOT there before and it gets up high far faster than previously
3. The sound is wonderful...there's that whistle that almost emulates a turbo.

No check engine light, no DTCs from the computer...I checked...

so verdict ? Whetehr it's a combo of my mods I cannot say, but after being wary of the compatibility between the increased throttle body mod (BBK 73mm) and the POWERAID SPACER, I can safely say this worked like a friggin' charm for me.

BBK's theory is that whilst the diameter of the spacer is made for the stock size throttle, the bore that it has to allo for air speed up and focus makes the outer diameter of the opening the same as the increased 73mm throttle...if that makes any sense.

I am running a 2013 convert V6 engine with :

- BAMA race tune 91
- JLT Cold air intake
- BBK 73mm throttle body
- PYPES axle back exhaust (muffler deletes - BOMB)
- FORD RACING X PIPE
- JLT OIL SEPARATOR
- ROYAL PURPLE OIL

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Alex !

Not at all ! You are welcome...I'll post as new thread for everyone.

I will also dyno and get the figures soon...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Alex !

Not at all ! You are welcome...I'll post as new thread for everyone.

I will also dyno and get the figures soon...
Awesome! Keep me in the loop if there's anything else I can help out with. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying it so much!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle