Raxiom GPS Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Raxiom GPS Questions

So three questions:
1) I was looking at the product on the AM website and one of the customer photos of the bottom "button" on the right side makes it look like it's merely a cover; it seems to have a single hole, so is it actually used, or can I use it? (image here).

I was seriously considering just buying two backup cameras (one front, one back) and putting a switch where the cover is to toggle between them. For my purposes, it would be much better than the front parking assist on AM, and I could keep a backup camera (one of my main reasons to buy the kit).

2) Is there any ability to change the maps or software (SW) on the kit? I'm currently using a Garmin with traffic awareness, and even that has trouble sometimes in the bay area (tons of roads packed together), so I'm a little hesitant to switch over to some third-party SW (however great it may be). I did a little research on the Rosen unit, and it seems that other users have been able to substitute their own maps from Garmins, etc. (though that unit had an SD slot).

3) How do the RCA inputs come into play? Just looking at the install guide, I don't see them exposed anywhere (there's no slots in the bezel). Is this something that we place at our discretion? I'm trying to see if anything can be connected via RCA and use the screen.
PythonV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #2

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonV6 View Post
So three questions:
1) I was looking at the product on the AM website and one of the customer photos of the bottom "button" on the right side makes it look like it's merely a cover; it seems to have a single hole, so is it actually used, or can I use it? (image here).

I was seriously considering just buying two backup cameras (one front, one back) and putting a switch where the cover is to toggle between them. For my purposes, it would be much better than the front parking assist on AM, and I could keep a backup camera (one of my main reasons to buy the kit).

2) Is there any ability to change the maps or software (SW) on the kit? I'm currently using a Garmin with traffic awareness, and even that has trouble sometimes in the bay area (tons of roads packed together), so I'm a little hesitant to switch over to some third-party SW (however great it may be). I did a little research on the Rosen unit, and it seems that other users have been able to substitute their own maps from Garmins, etc. (though that unit had an SD slot).

3) How do the RCA inputs come into play? Just looking at the install guide, I don't see them exposed anywhere (there's no slots in the bezel). Is this something that we place at our discretion? I'm trying to see if anything can be connected via RCA and use the screen.
I just installed this unit so I can answer some of your questions but not in depth.

1. That's where the micro SD slot is (on the left). I dont think you can put anything there but could be wrong.

2. As mentioned previously, there is an SD slot. But I dont think you can change maps. You can get the updates and extras through naviextras.com but I dont see any alternative maps.

3. You're right. There arent any slots or bezels. I just routed them to the back of the glove box in case I'll need them in the future. Havent tried it yet.
lshin037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
So three questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshin037 View Post
I just installed this unit so I can answer some of your questions but not in depth.

1. That's where the micro SD slot is (on the left). I dont think you can put anything there but could be wrong.

2. As mentioned previously, there is an SD slot. But I dont think you can change maps. You can get the updates and extras through naviextras.com but I dont see any alternative maps.

3. You're right. There arent any slots or bezels. I just routed them to the back of the glove box in case I'll need them in the future. Havent tried it yet.
^ Red definitely pointed you in the right direction. His answers for questions 1 and 2 are spot on.

For 3, the RCA's are in the back and I also ran them through the back of the glove box like he did. I ran the Back-up camera this way as well!

I hope this helps. If you have any questions at all feel free to give our CS team a call! They'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshin037 View Post
I
Thanks for the info. I don't expect it to be a simple drag and drop. I'm fairly experienced with electronics "hacking" and I'm especially excited about this unit because of all of the possibilities. From some other post I saw (I don't have the links handy), you have to extract maps from elsewhere; it isn't a download and play kind of thing. Really glad it has the SD slot though. From the picture it looked like some plastic support or something (now that I know it's SD it's hard to imagine it was anything else).
PythonV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I don't expect it to be a simple drag and drop. I'm fairly experienced with electronics "hacking" and I'm especially excited about this unit because of all of the possibilities. From some other post I saw (I don't have the links handy), you have to extract maps from elsewhere; it isn't a download and play kind of thing. Really glad it has the SD slot though. From the picture it looked like some plastic support or something (now that I know it's SD it's hard to imagine it was anything else).
To be honest, I thought exactly the same thing when I was looking at it online. I was confused as to why there was an empty slot with small hole in it.
lshin037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Vendors > AmericanMuscle