Drag Racing Tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Drag Racing Tips

Hey all,

I've been itching to go to the track and actually race instead of just spectating all the time, but I've never raced before. I'm planning on going to a test and tune tonight, but I won't be racing because it rained this morning, and honestly, my stock pzero neros break loose easily whenever the road is slick. Anyway, I want to get some racing in before the end of the season so that I can have a baseline before I start modding next year. Does anyone have any good tips for noob racers? I've heard of dropping the clutch at 3,000 RPM when launching- is that typical? How about burnouts (I've never done these either)? I've been trying to find some desolate place to practice launching and burnouts so I don't embarass myself at the track, but I've had no luck. So I guess I'll just gain experience when I start going to the track...

FYI, I have a 2012 GT Premium with a manual tranny, completely stock...

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Also, does anyone have tips for helmets? Apparently, we need to wear helmets if the 1/4 mile time is below 13.99. I'm pretty sure I should be able to go below that after some practice...

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Drag Racing Tips

the best advice is it will take experience to figure out what works for you. Until you get your 60ft time to a respectable level 2.0 or 2.1 or better dont redline and beat the crap out of the car as you are already doing it for nothing for the most part lol.

Every .1 off your 60ft is .2 off your times generally speaking. Reaction time has NO EFFECT on what you run FYI.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Well u wont have line lock for ur brakes so make sure when u do ur burn out u can roll i would sugest going around the water box and backing just ur rear tires onto it (little safer then getting ur fronts wet). Launching at diffrent rpms ie 2 3 4 thousand rpm till u find what works for u. U really need an empty parking lot ant a jug of water so u can practice dude and when u shift try to as close to ur rev limiter as possible. Now speaking of shifting thers diffrent ways to go about it but the fastest way to get threw the gears is to "power shift" in order to power shift u got to be fast or u risk hurting ur motor and it does require some practice so when practicing i recomend till ur confadent anough to try going 2nd to 3rd (thats ur hardest shift in the 1320) go like this... Launch at what ever rpm ur comfy with get ur rpms up around 6000 leave ur foot in the gas and as fast as u can push in the clutch slame 2ndand let the clutch out with out lifting off the gass try to do this till u can without spining the tires in 2nd if that gois good u can try the same into 3rd or if ur not comfy with ur shifts lift ur throttle then clutch it and go into 3rd as a normal shift and power shift into 4th. Its going to take practice till u can power shift into 3rd without grinding out or rev limit bouncing so good luck and when u do get it down pls post a vid of ur time have a good one!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Put the car in 2nd gear. DO the burn out that way. You just have t o get used to using foot to control brake and gas till you have the clutch out all the way. You will not push threw brakes if do it right. People have cut 1.8 60fts on the stock tires in manual cars and auto's. YOu have to press clutch left foot. Use right foot for gas and brake. It take practice for sure.

On stock tires you will not be able to do a 3k drop. Most you doing to get is a 1k launch and still have to peddle the clutch out.

Once get going it is all on you then. Best bet is if you plan on racing a lot to invest in some drag radials.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I wouldn't do a burnout on those tires. I'd drive around the waterbox, straighten out, just give them a little "brwap", to clean them off, and head for the staging lights. Try not to light both lights. Pull up until the first staging light lights up (I think it's prestage, but it's been a while since I've been at the track). Let the other guy light up his first light (if he hasn't gone and lit both of his, already), and then inch up and light the second one. You'll want to launch on the last yellow light, on the tree, but I wouldn't worry about reaction time and just work on your launch. You'll have to experiment to find what works best for you.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm planning on getting drag radials next year. I just want to get practice and eventually figure out an average baseline time for reference.

I guess I'll just leave on 1st gear modestly and then slam the gas when I have traction. As far as the traction control, should I leave it on until I get some runs under my belt?

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm planning on getting drag radials next year. I just want to get practice and eventually figure out an average baseline time for reference.

I guess I'll just leave on 1st gear modestly and then slam the gas when I have traction. As far as the traction control, should I leave it on until I get some runs under my belt?
Leave it on for a few passes then take it off for a few. Then decided what way is more comfortable for you.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Leave it on for a few passes then take it off for a few. Then decided what way is more comfortable for you.
Ok. Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247

Ive allways been a fan of doing the hardest things first that way when u can do it well switching to "nanny control" makes driving it a no brainer let me give u an example... I like to play race car games. Forza 2/3, grandturismo (all of them), nfs (literally all of them). The first cars i buy in these games and practice getting used to the controles with are the 65 cobra and the dodge viper gts i race t/c off stm off and abs off no computer assists of any kind no auto brake no racing lines (i do use a brakeing line though because vgs have poor depth perception on a crt tv) and it dosent take long to figure out how to launch the cars but from there once they are mastered hopping into a r34 id like nothing launch easy every thing so imo i would keep trying with t/c off till u get good at it gotta start some time!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Here are some sites that will help you get started.

NHRA Basics

How to Drag Race

Practice Tree
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Here are some sites that will help you get started.

NHRA Basics

How to Drag Race

Practice Tree
Thanks! Always a great resource. I'm going to read up and practice. I'm thinking about going to the strip in a week or two and giving it a shot.

I went yesterday to watch a friend of mine race his STI and there was a guy hitting 13.1 in the 1/4 mile with a completely stock 5.0 (including all season tires). Only had 230 miles on the clock (still had temporary tag). He got me totally pumped to give it a try.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Also people have cut 1.8-1.9 60ft on the stock all season tires. 1.7 on summer only ones. They have found heating them really good helps the Perelli's. They like heat. Unlike most street tires.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Also people have cut 1.8-1.9 60ft on the stock all season tires. 1.7 on summer only ones. They have found heating them really good helps the Perelli's. They like heat. Unlike most street tires.
Makes sense. The guy I saw was doing burnouts before each run and he was definitely gripping better than the others that just went around the water...and he was using the stock all season tires.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
That's good to know.
Most of them just get greasy and offer even less traction.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #15

That was me running 13.1
o.h.5.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just one more piece of advice from a bike guy. Don't run one right after another. Give your clutch some time to cool down in between runs. Last thing you wanna do is heat it up to the point of glazing it over and end up trailering your car home to a new clutch setup.
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
Just one more piece of advice from a bike guy. Don't run one right after another. Give your clutch some time to cool down in between runs. Last thing you wanna do is heat it up to the point of glazing it over and end up trailering your car home to a new clutch setup.
Good point.
It will also heat soak your engine/fluids and decrease performance.
I believe the optimum fluid temps for drag racing are 180-195 degrees.
So anything you can do to keep them in that range will help.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have seen way too many guys go buy a sport bike and think they are hot s$&! and make about 20 passes in a night then load their bike up in a buddies truck to get home....
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless
I have seen way too many guys go buy a sport bike and think they are hot s$&! and make about 20 passes in a night then load their bike up in a buddies truck to get home....
+1
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Also when you pull up to the line and cross the first laser and the top line comes on stop and wait for the other guy to light up his first light. It's a courtesy thing to wait for the other guy to pre stage before you stage (second light)
Old 10-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:

Good point.
It will also heat soak your engine/fluids and decrease performance.
I believe the optimum fluid temps for drag racing are 180-195 degrees.
So anything you can do to keep them in that range will help.
Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize those things.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Also when you pull up to the line and cross the first laser and the top line comes on stop and wait for the other guy to light up his first light. It's a courtesy thing to wait for the other guy to pre stage before you stage (second light)
I didn't know that. I had been staging all night without paying attention to the other car. I'll be more mindful next time. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

How did you do?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Also if you're racing the guy next to you to be re first across the line not just for time you may want to look into deep staging. Thats here you barely turn on the second light. This allows you to take off a split second earlier than normal with out red lighting. You only red light when your tire leaves the the first laser before the light turns green. Make sense?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How did you do?
I haven't gone again yet. I'm trying to go either tonight or tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Also if you're racing the guy next to you to be re first across the line not just for time you may want to look into deep staging. Thats here you barely turn on the second light. This allows you to take off a split second earlier than normal with out red lighting. You only red light when your tire leaves the the first laser before the light turns green. Make sense?
Yeah, I actually try to do this all the time lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

Sorry, but that's not correct.
Deep staging is when you stage deep enough to turn off the first light leaving only the second light lit.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry, but that's not correct.
Deep staging is when you stage deep enough to turn off the first light leaving only the second light lit.
Oh wow you're right. I stand corrected. I thought that if you broke the pre stage beam it would red-light you...? Maybe I'm thinking if a different class? Anyway I personally "shallow stage"? Barely break the second beam so it's harder to red light and you're able to leave before the other guy by a split second and it helps your ET because you're already moving by the time you leave the second beam... Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Oh wow you're right. I stand corrected. I thought that if you broke the pre stage beam it would red-light you...? Maybe I'm thinking if a different class? Anyway I personally "shallow stage"? Barely break the second beam so it's harder to red light and you're able to leave before the other guy by a split second and it helps your ET because you're already moving by the time you leave the second beam... Sorry for the confusion.
No problem.
There are so many different rules and terminologies in racing that it is hard to keep up with all of them.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Went to the track tonight and I have to say that I'm happy with my improvement. I had 5 passes, but these were my best runs (I'm #415). Taking traction control completely off helped with the improvement. I'm considering 13.3 to be my baseline for mods...I think I'm going to need to practice a lot to get lower than that (or wait until it gets colder lol).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111008_000124.png
Views:	374
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	32635   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111008_000148.png
Views:	273
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	32636  

Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Dang! You're only about two seconds behind my sport bike in an 1/8. Not bad at all
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
Went to the track tonight and I have to say that I'm happy with my improvement. I had 5 passes, but these were my best runs (I'm #415). Taking traction control completely off helped with the improvement. I'm considering 13.3 to be my baseline for mods...I think I'm going to need to practice a lot to get lower than that (or wait until it gets colder lol).

Way to improve!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I'm really happy with these runs. Its getting me anxious to start modding lol.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

That's about what my 'vette runs in the 1/8th. Not bad.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #33

I traded in my dodge yellow jacket srt 8, I was able to get 8.4 in an 8th. and 12.6 in a quarter. I have a new 2016 GT Mustang with the Hennessey 750 package. I cant wait to take to the track. I learned one thing while playing however, traction control must stay off at all times. you see my challenger would only wheel hop in first and second. The Hennessey mustang can wheel hop at any speed in any gear if hammer is down. I don't need the back of car bouncing up at 120 or so. I will post track slip in April when I get back from Stone Mountain Georgia.
ShelbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track