Rookie racer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Rookie racer

Just out of curiosity, if you bring a racing suit like an alpine stars suit for example, to the drag strip for race day, are people going to make fun? I've never been to my local track yet so I just wanted to find out, since I like to be as safe as possible but dont want to look like a ******. Or is it just completely unnecessary altogether.

2013 Grabber Blue GT - 6 speed manual, Boss coil covers
EMckV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMckV8
Just out of curiosity, if you bring a racing suit like an alpine stars suit for example, to the drag strip for race day, are people going to make fun? I've never been to my local track yet so I just wanted to find out, since I like to be as safe as possible but dont want to look like a ******. Or is it just completely unnecessary altogether.
Better safe then sorry if you have it... A suit and no helmet may be laughable lol
If you are not running too fast like 12-13's in the 1/4 or less then 7's in 1/8th I wouldn't bother if it were me but it's totally your call..

It's like going out to eat.. You can never be over dressed IMO
Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I figured I'll probably save my money for upgrades and with till I'm running low times before I get one. Also thanks for moving the thread.

Also, does anyone have tips for me? I understand what to do at the track but I can't seem to even come across much about during the race, basically all I'm trying to find out are good tips so I don't put it into the wall that's what I'm really worried about (but I guess isn't everyone).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMckV8
Yeah that's what I figured I'll probably save my money for upgrades and with till I'm running low times before I get one. Also thanks for moving the thread.

Also, does anyone have tips for me? I understand what to do at the track but I can't seem to even come across much about during the race, basically all I'm trying to find out are good tips so I don't put it into the wall that's what I'm really worried about (but I guess isn't everyone).
Don't will bad things on yourself, the odds of hitting something is slim to nun. Pull up to the line and turn the top light on, when the other lane lights his top light, inch forward and light the second light. When the other lane lights his second light , be ready to go. I'm used to the pro tree so as soon as I see all yellow I go. If It's not pro lights, wait for the bottom yellow to fully lite , then go. I must warn you tho, when you get racing in your blood It's like an addiction. As with any addiction, it gets expensive really fast. Have fun and good luck, let us know how you did.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

This may sound dumb but it happens all the time, stage your front tires.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
And take it easy your first few passes to learn the track, street tires don't bite that good on a track so launching at 4500 and punching it will sit your car sideways real fast
Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

any recommendations on some good tires?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Im running yokohama advan 280/580 R18s and when they heat they grip great.
TheLast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Okay just seen u have a 13 gt. any street radial is gonna give you trouble off the line. You could spend 1500+ for some wider tires and rims or you could spend 500 for a extra pair of stocks and throw some drag radials on them. I wouldn't go all overboard with it right away unless you plan on going every weekend
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: Rookie racer

a '13 GT is a hell of a car for a 'rookie racer'. Take your time as they make enough power as early 00/late 90s exotics. As most cars do at this point haha.

Learn the track, maybe even avoid launching until you can bang gears, then try launching different ways. If you must stay with street tires, very few tires offer good grip in that category for a car with such power. Nitto 555s provide great cornering AND straight line grip for what they are and for the money.

In ATCO NJ, ANYTHING faster than 14.0 requires a full helmet.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii
a '13 GT is a hell of a car for a 'rookie racer'. Take your time as they make enough power as early 00/late 90s exotics. As most cars do at this point haha.
That's what I've always thought, they are probably about as fast a

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony

That's what I've always thought, they are probably about as fast a
Ferrari 360 in a straight line. I don't know much about racing as I've never done it, but I would keep T/C on the first couple times just to get the nerves out and not screw anything up too bad.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

Learn the track, maybe even avoid launching until you can bang gears, then try launching different ways. If you must stay with street tires, very few tires offer good grip in that category for a car with such power. Nitto 555s provide great cornering AND straight line grip for what they are and for the money.

In ATCO NJ, ANYTHING faster than 14.0 requires a full helmet.
I've been practicing alot in my step dad's 91 Civic Si Hatchback and hopefully ill be running under 14s in Indiana you also need a helmet for under 14s so ill pick one up.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr View Post
Okay just seen u have a 13 gt. any street radial is gonna give you trouble off the line. You could spend 1500+ for some wider tires and rims or you could spend 500 for a extra pair of stocks and throw some drag radials on them. I wouldn't go all overboard with it right away unless you plan on going every weekend
So you're saying that i should get DR's instead of SR's? what do you do with your front tires when you buy DR's... do you buy some front runners or do you just leave the stock tires?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

You throw the DRs on at the track. I personally always use street tires.

A civic will not behave REMOTELY the same as a 400HP RWD monster

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track