Drag racing! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Drag racing!

I'm going to the strip in a week with my 5.0. Mods include bama tune, full eibach suspension and borla exhaust. I have 295 nitto invos on the back so I'm hoping for some good traction. Still stock 3:31 gears. The strip is concrete with a layer of rubber on top. It should be pretty warm, like 70-75F, any tips for my first time to the strip? tire pressure? Launch rpm? ( going with my dad who has an 09 m3 that's bone stock. would like to beat him)
Delta vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Do you have adjustable lca's? If so I would adjust the pinion angle to -2 or -3. The traction can be there just have to adjust suspension to hook good. Launch at 2800 first just to get the feel of launch and keep raising the rpms till you find your favorite. Try not to dump the clutch all at once ease off of it at launch.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Also shift at 7100 that way the next gear will be higher in the power band. Power does fall off at 6830 but it puts the next gear in a better position
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweigt07
Do you have adjustable lca's? If so I would adjust the pinion angle to -2 or -3. The traction can be there just have to adjust suspension to hook good. Launch at 2800 first just to get the feel of launch and keep raising the rpms till you find your favorite. Try not to dump the clutch all at once ease off of it at launch.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Also shift at 7100 that way the next gear will be higher in the power band. Power does fall off at 6830 but it puts the next gear in a better position
I do and I will on the lca's. I have the tune set to 7500 redline but I never take it that high. 7000 is where I usually shift if I'm really getting on it. As far as tire pressure though. I run 30psi on the street and when I autocross. Should I go lower for the strip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Drag racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta vt View Post
I'm going to the strip in a week with my 5.0. Mods include bama tune, full eibach suspension and borla exhaust. I have 295 nitto invos on the back so I'm hoping for some good traction. Still stock 3:31 gears. The strip is concrete with a layer of rubber on top. It should be pretty warm, like 70-75F, any tips for my first time to the strip? tire pressure? Launch rpm? ( going with my dad who has an 09 m3 that's bone stock. would like to beat him)

Delta vt,

I'm not to familiar with how quick the '09 M3's are in the quarter, but I imagine you would be able to take him with some solid driving. Make sure when you're launching that you ease the clutch out at a steady peace, instead of just popping it. Once the clutch is 100% out, then punch it, assuming you can still hook. Obviously, if you spin, just throttle your gas pedal at a stead peace as well. I'm not 100% sure how you should launch your Mustang since we usually always run drag radials at the track, but you'll catch on quickly. It's really just going to take a day of messing around with different style launches and see what works best with your car.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Delta vt,

I'm not to familiar with how quick the '09 M3's are in the quarter, but I imagine you would be able to take him with some solid driving. Make sure when you're launching that you ease the clutch out at a steady peace, instead of just popping it. Once the clutch is 100% out, then punch it, assuming you can still hook. Obviously, if you spin, just throttle your gas pedal at a stead peace as well. I'm not 100% sure how you should launch yours since we are usually always running drag radials at the track. It's really just going to take a day of messing around with different style launches and see what works best with your car.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Shane
According to a motortrend test video stock to stock the run identical 12.7. But thats with the BMW 6 speed manual, my dad has a brand new 2011 double clutch 7 speed, and my god is it good( he may or may not have fried the first tranny in 25k miles). I'll be brining my go pro and record the runs and definitely get the vids up here next Saturday.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I run 17 cold psi on my 555r but with these cars it's all about clutch release. In my town there is another mustang with same mods as me but he can only get 8.5 in the 8th mile where as I can get down to 8.01 all day long and I still spin out of the gate
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I run 17 cold psi on my 555r but with these cars it's all about clutch release. In my town there is another mustang with same mods as me but he can only get 8.5 in the 8th mile where as I can get down to 8.01 all day long and I still spin out of the gate
I have had some experience doing hard launches on the autocross tracks. Maybe 15-20 launches on a groomed asphalt surface. I have a feeling the strip will be a lot more sticky though. I still think the m3 will take me out of the hole but I hope I will be able to run him down.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I can launch better on the street than I can at the track well at least this track in my town. Depends on the track honestly but you should be able to take him the whole way if you hook
Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I can launch better on the street than I can at the track well at least this track in my town. Depends on the track honestly but you should be able to take him the whole way if you hook
I'm going to famoso raceway which holds a lot of NHRA races and has for apparently a really long time. My hope is I can grab second and stick on the track. On the street second is really slippery.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well good luck too you hooking I might head back down to Houston next year after my roush install just to see what I can run

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track