Beginner at the track - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Beginner at the track

What advice do you have for someone who is going tithe track for the first time?
I'm excited
1Mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Breathe
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdisciple85
Breathe
+1 I forgot that when I went for my first time. Lol.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What rpm do you launch at? And I hear you should slip the clutch then i hear you should dump it whats your advice on that
Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am a modded six and when at the track I am on drag radials, so i bump it down pretty hard. When on the stock 225s though, I rev to about 2k rpms, pop the clutch, then as the car is leaving I am steady adding loud pedal, I am at full throttle by the 60ft mark, approximately 1.85 seconds later. I am +3 on the breathing. Also, don't tense up and clench your teeth(until you'e in third on the spray...wait, that's just me), reaction times will be slower, and don't over think it either. Just be sure to get third down, and you're home free.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
first time, watch how people line up, get an idea of the motions they go though, about where they pull up to, the lights etc. The first person to stage at the light has more time to prepare, the second inches up until he triggers the set light then has a couple seconds to get ready before the lights come down.

Reaction time does NOT modify your cars track time, thats just the amount of time the light was green BEFORE you started to move. The time you run is from when you move. Thats how it is at most tracks.

Its sticky out there if prepped right, go practice somewhere out of the public to get a feel for launching with a bit of wheel spin but not a ton. At the track a tiny bit more than that will work good.

Dont shift the crap out of the car until you get the launch down, there is NO point in beating up on the car when you just ran a 3.5 60ft time (time from start to 60ft down the track) as your times WILL SUCK regardless.

Once your 60ft is 2.0-2.1 or better THEN start shifting right and quicker, no point in blowing the trans, missing a shift, etc when you are gonna get a crappy time regardless.

street tires = avoid the water box. Spin them over to clean them off a bit but nothing else is needed, dont do a burnout.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
first time, watch how people line up, get an idea of the motions they go though, about where they pull up to, the lights etc. The first person to stage at the light has more time to prepare, the second inches up until he triggers the set light then has a couple seconds to get ready before the lights come down.

Reaction time does NOT modify your cars track time, thats just the amount of time the light was green BEFORE you started to move. The time you run is from when you move. Thats how it is at most tracks.

Its sticky out there if prepped right, go practice somewhere out of the public to get a feel for launching with a bit of wheel spin but not a ton. At the track a tiny bit more than that will work good.

Dont shift the crap out of the car until you get the launch down, there is NO point in beating up on the car when you just ran a 3.5 60ft time (time from start to 60ft down the track) as your times WILL SUCK regardless.

Once your 60ft is 2.0-2.1 or better THEN start shifting right and quicker, no point in blowing the trans, missing a shift, etc when you are gonna get a crappy time regardless.

street tires = avoid the water box. Spin them over to clean them off a bit but nothing else is needed, dont do a burnout.
^+1 Here's a general layout of the track launch area.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
When your in line waiting watch how fast the lights drop. It will help having the speed already in your head.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You guys rock thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree that you should not worry about the light so much at the beginning also forget about the car Nxt to you and work on your launch if you can't get out of the hole it doesn't matter how fast you reacted...I also wasn't joking when I said breathe the first time out your heart is going to want to jump out of your chest if you just breathe and relax you will minimize mental mistakes...my first run in my gt500 was a 9.6 on an 1/8 th mile track....all because I was not relaxing and I was just pedal to the metal. With the same setup no different I went 8.0 because I relaxed and drove the car the way it was supposed to be driven in fact I have a few more tenths in it as my 60ft was 2.1 on that run....Don't get discouraged if your times really suck for the first couple of time to the track it will get better just keep practicing
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
also if they try to line up up with someone that is SUPER loud or some form of crazy fast car just tell em you will pass and go the next round. If you cant hear your own motor thats bad lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
also if they try to line up up with someone that is SUPER loud or some form of crazy fast car just tell em you will pass and go the next round. If you cant hear your own motor thats bad lol
+1 lol. Once you're used to it, no biggie, but this actually true.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
Agreed! If the car has a lopey sound to it and it smells alcohol when they have it running stay away from it. It probably runs like its *** is on fire.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

Agreed! If the car has a lopey sound to it and it smells alcohol when they have it running stay away from it. It probably runs like its *** is on fire.
Lmao luv it lol

"After the third flip, I lost control"

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
Pony up is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track