5.0 vs C6 Corvette - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
5.0 vs C6 Corvette

My buddy and I decided to go to the track. It was just a casual race and tune. I have a 2012 5.0 Which is pretty close to stock. All I have is a Ford racing axle back exhaust and a tune using a ford racing Pro tunner. His call is a 2005 C6 Corvette bone stock. I wasn't sure if I was going to beat him but I decided to race him anyway. I was shocked to see that I blew his doors off four times in a row by about 1.5 seconds. He claimed that he lost so many times because there was something wrong with his car. Do you think that is true, or do you thinl new 5.0 really faster than an older Corvette C6?
JJB82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB82
My buddy and I decided to go to the track. It was just a casual race and tune. I have a 2012 5.0 Which is pretty close to stock. All I have is a Ford racing axle back exhaust and a tune using a ford racing Pro tunner. His call is a 2005 C6 Corvette bone stock. I wasn't sure if I was going to beat him but I decided to race him anyway. I was shocked to see that I blew his doors off four times in a row by about 1.5 seconds. He claimed that he lost so many times because there was something wrong with his car. Do you think that is true, or do you thinl new 5.0 really faster than an older Corvette C6?
Be happy with the out come and don’t question it
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
A 05 c6 corvette stock, is 400 horses with 400 lbs of torque. With your tuned 5.0, I'm not surprised you outran him.
Konig wheels
Engine mods: none, why mess with perfection?
Wyomingstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomingstang

A 05 c6 corvette stock, is 400 horses with 400 lbs of torque. With your tuned 5.0, I'm not surprised you outran him.
He claims he did some work like a cold air intake and headers etc. And wants me to racing again this weekend at the track
JJB82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

He claims he did some work like a cold air intake and headers etc. And wants me to racing again this weekend at the track
Do it and see how he does
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let him win one. Sounds like he dropped some serious cash.
Konig wheels
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

Just don't put any money on it. He might have been setting you up. I would think that the C6 is lighter. I guess it comes down to weight and gearing, be it that the power levels are pretty close.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Just don't put any money on it. He might have been setting you up. I would think that the C6 is lighter. I guess it comes down to weight and gearing, be it that the power levels are pretty close.
Good point. The corvette is close to 400# lighter.
Konig wheels
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

Driver plays a huge role too. I've seen some amazing cars look bad because of bad drivers.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Moved to at track
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Driver plays a huge role too. I've seen some amazing cars look bad because of bad drivers.
With similar power numbers and that its lighter, I would say you've got a "Driver Mod" that he needs to invest in!.. I've run against several cars that were faster than mine and won because of the driver!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You have slightly more crank power than him, but corvettes put power to the ground very well and they are very light. Put the same driver in both cars and the Stang would lose every single time. Sorry but you only won cause your friend sucks at racing.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Stock the C6 Corvette should run 12s, the ZO6 runs 11s

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you beat him that bad, he's a terrible driver. But an LS2 Corvette and new GT are pretty damn close in straight-line performance.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Agree 100%. At least at this point you know you are a better driver. Cars excluded, all things being equal the Vette "should've" won. But that's why we race. Great driving!
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah he can't shift. I hate the shift linkages in better and hate the transaxle. The damn things kick right so hard on a power shift it feels like one of the axles snapped. I do love vettes but don't like the transaxle setup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track