Manual vs automatic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Manual vs automatic

I was discussing with a co-worker about our cars. I have a 12 5.0 he has a 12 camaro as convertible. He was telling me he would beat me because he has automatic and I have standard. For the longest time I've been told standard is a few seconds faster then automatic the only thing I've mown about automatics is that they are stronger and last longer. What are your Gus thoughts on this? I've beat many as"s but have no idea if they were automatic or not.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mo2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 41
Well automatics are gonna always be constant. With manuals there is always room for improvement. And as you get better with shifting, u will always beat an auto in my opinion. I had the same deal with my buddy who owns a ss auto and always gets beat
Mo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Those 1/4 and 0-60 times they show in magazines, etc. is usually run with a pro driver. With a manual tranny, there is much more room for error, that's probably why your buddy think his can beat you. IMO, anybody can tromp on the gas and go with an auto tranny. It takes more skill and practice to get good times with a manual tranny. Still, that doesn't mean you won't take him at the track.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Well this is a old guy who mud Boggs etc so maybe that's why he thinks that
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
The difference in the real world on the track with equal rear end ratios will be a slight benefit to the auto. That said, the auto ss is only 400hp so if you hit your shifts, he's screwed. I've seen auto ss run high 13 second passes and high 12 second passes. There's no beating the feeling of rowing your own gears for an everyday car imo.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Those 1/4 and 0-60 times they show in magazines, etc. is usually run with a pro driver. With a manual tranny, there is much more room for error, that's probably why your buddy think his can beat you. IMO, anybody can tromp on the gas and go with an auto tranny. It takes more skill and practice to get good times with a manual tranny. Still, that doesn't mean you won't take him at the track.
The problem is that the 'Pro Driver' carries little weight when it is a new car. That being said, auto will consistently put up better times but the new auto 6s peed trannies shift pretty quick. So the pressure is generally on you in the manual.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
for many years autos = slower, in the last few they have caught up. If you can shift fast enough your fine, most autos even today for normal daily cars shift a little slower than they could for comfort. It makes ZERO since for someone to say "because auto ill beat you" when the cars are different.... he sounds like he doesnt know what he is talking about regardless.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jasst11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 4
I pick manual, just know your car and when to switch gears. That's what makes the difference.
Jasst11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
There is a reason why the track pack, Boss and Shelby come all in Manual only
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Jasst11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
There is a reason why the track pack, Boss and Shelby come all in Manual only
Amen brother!
Jasst11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
9tee7pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Radford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 673
You would beat him no matter what tranny. Assuming that you dont screw up a shift. 5.0>SS
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
All your drag cars are autoss usually power glides,,autos are usually faster ,,manuals are faster on the start,,unless you have a good stall convertor,,If you have a good rathet shifter and strech your gears a little longer like you do with a manual,,i think the autos faster,,you just need a good tune for the shift points and a stall
__________________
mymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
In the drag strip with a GOOD driver the auto and manual are equal, the manual requires more skill to drive. Around a track, autocross or anything that involves turn the manual will not only beat the auto but destroy it (unless it has a dual clutch) lol
Those F1 style tranny will rape the manual but manual will always WIN the fun factor.
If i was not going to track/ drive it like i stole it i just would have gotten an auto.
At the end of the day both are bad a$$ just my personal opinion from a guy that has own both
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
In the drag strip with a GOOD driver the auto and manual are equal, the manual requires more skill to drive. Around a track, autocross or anything that involves turn the manual will not only beat the auto but destroy it (unless it has a dual clutch) lol
Those F1 style tranny will rape the manual but manual will always WIN the fun factor.
If i was not going to track/ drive it like i stole it i just would have gotten an auto.
At the end of the day both are bad a$$ just my personal opinion from a guy that has own both
lol,,i will agree they are more fun to drive,,this is my first auto car,,ive always had manuals,,in all the old small block chevys i always drove manuals,,that way i didnt have to worry about idling problems and starting off,,but i still think its kinda cool chirping gears with a auto,,plus i have to have knee surgery,,so when i test drove the mustang i decided to go with the auto..lol
__________________
mymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DerekJohnScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 571
As far as racing goes manual is better, but an auto is better for dd use. Especially where I live, there are tons of hills.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott
As far as racing goes manual is better, but an auto is better for dd use. Especially where I live, there are tons of hills.
The 2013 has the hill assist, so the car will never roll back when you start I know it is cheating
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
As far as racing goes manual is better, but an auto is better for dd use. Especially where I live, there are tons of hills.
I was watching Pinks all out,,9 sec class,,there was 1 manual racing out of 32,,almost all are 2 speed autos,,some were 3,,even the best driver,,there is still a slight drop between gears,,Manuals are fun to play in the street,,but when you have real hp and 10th of a sec counts,,cant beat a auto
__________________
mymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

I was watching Pinks all out,,9 sec class,,there was 1 manual racing out of 32,,almost all are 2 speed autos,,some were 3,,even the best driver,,there is still a slight drop between gears,,Manuals are fun to play in the street,,but when you have real hp and 10th of a sec counts,,cant beat a auto
+11. Pinks All OUT is one of my favorite shows!.. Lol. In professional drag racing you want an auto!.. AutoX you want a manual!.. I've got a auto because I do Drag Race, but I also do some AutoX now too!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Without a doubt the auto for a hard core drag car would be wayyy better, i was referring to normal car Enthusiast that will be doing a little bit of all type of racing.
I when to the drag strip with my friend and his auto kicked my a$$ lol, i was blaming it on the shifter but he was running low 8 sec all night long. I was running high 8 sec.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
We get a lot of bracket drag racing here and the dial ins are stupid. Lots of the guys get dialed in to the nearest hundredth of a second. Manuals can't compete. I proposed a manual trans bracket instead of class in the cars and blew some people away with the concept. They're gonna run it next year.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
We get a lot of bracket drag racing here and the dial ins are stupid. Lots of the guys get dialed in to the nearest hundredth of a second. Manuals can't compete. I proposed a manual trans bracket instead of class in the cars and blew some people away with the concept. They're gonna run it next year.
Why?.. Bracket Racing is a lot like Run What Ya Brung!.. Difference being the slower cars are made "equal" to the faster ones!.. And then just comes down to being consistent!..

And where I run they let you dial in your own car!.. Just don't break out of it!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
redbeast0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 545
I beat a guy the other day with a camaro ss that was standard and mines auto i think his was stock and all mine has is flowmasters.
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Why?.. Bracket Racing is a lot like Run What Ya Brung!.. Difference being the slower cars are made "equal" to the faster ones!.. And then just comes down to being consistent!..

And where I run they let you dial in your own car!.. Just don't break out of it!.. Lol
That's exactly my point. Then you get guys who get a 500 tree and they dial in a v-box and they hit their dial in every time. Guy who won this year was 0.02 off his dial time for the whole combined day! It takes all the sport out of it. A kid in a 19 second automatic ecobox knocked my buddy out. Having an all manual class means you get a class where everyone has to do the work to be consistent. Way more competitive.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

That's exactly my point. Then you get guys who get a 500 tree and they dial in a v-box and they hit their dial in every time. Guy who won this year was 0.02 off his dial time for the whole combined day! It takes all the sport out of it. A kid in a 19 second automatic ecobox knocked my buddy out. Having an all manual class means you get a class where everyone has to do the work to be consistent. Way more competitive.
Then lets just make a special class for every variation of car out there!... Sorry but that just sounds crazy to me!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Manual is better for circuit racing (autocross), automatic is better for drag racing.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Then lets just make a special class for every variation of car out there!... Sorry but that just sounds crazy to me!..
They already class people into groups based on tire compound, cylinders, and power adders. By having a class for all the manual trans cars it makes for a fairer bracket for those who row their own gears. Don't know how adding one class makes it so crazy...
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

They already class people into groups based on tire compound, cylinders, and power adders. By having a class for all the manual trans cars it makes for a fairer bracket for those who row their own gears. Don't know how adding one class makes it so crazy...
+1
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:14 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.