How to calculate your horsepower based on your ET - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

DeepImpactPony is unknown around these parts
How to calculate your horsepower based on your ET

I been doing research on whether or not their is any actual benefit using the Cold air kits, sold by aftermarket. I'm not easily swayed by advertisement claims of Horsepower gains, by aftermarket, since they are, as we know, in business to make money. I have been using my personal car as a test bed, to prove my point. Based on the formula for horsepower based on ET:
Horsepower = Weight / (ET / 5.825)^3
My car ran a 12.60 with stock air box and tune. On that same day, my friend ran his car, in the next lane with slicks,bone stock and we both 60 footed identically, his best run was 12.81.Race weight for me was 3900 lbs, race weight for my friend was 3830. Both cars are equally equipped, except for the Brembo package which I have, but both cars are automatics with 3.15 gears.

Based on the formula, my car had 386.9 Horsepower to the wheels, and my friends car had 359.6.
Based on this, I have determined I gained 27 HP from tune. This being the case, JLT claims HP gains of 26-30 HP with CAI and tune, and upon me asking them via facebook, they tell me that there can be no gains of more than 15 Hp with just tune. Im inclined to believe , based on my own experience with my car, that there is no gain from CAI with tune, but rather, the gain comes from the tune alone. Anyone else feel they gained more from their aftermarket cold air kit?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Soccerluvr4 is just getting started.
Looks like there is room for error: wind resistance, outside temperature, engine temp, fuel level, ET driving precision, taller or shorter gears. These all make differences in ETs

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

And yea, most people will agree thy it is all in the tune.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Looks like there is room for error: wind resistance, outside temperature, engine temp, fuel level, ET driving precision, taller or shorter gears. These all make differences in ETs

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

That*

Faster than a speeding...............
Carvin' corners like a Boss

June 2013 Mustang of the Month
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

813floridaracin is unknown around these parts
I bought my cold air intake about two years ago, there's a definite increase in throttle response and horse power. Now If your running tunes and other mods, I'm not sure if you'll notice any increase. But I felt one because at the time my intake was the only engine mod
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Soccerluvr4 is just getting started.
If its your only mod then you will notice a difference, but get the tune with it and its night and day.

Faster than a speeding...............
Carvin' corners like a Boss

June 2013 Mustang of the Month
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Eturner is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

That*
That's why you use a combined average of all passes made over two or three trips to the track!.. That's what I did!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track