Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SCCA CSCC Solo 1-27-2013

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  claudermilk 
#1 ·
The new season has started! Well, at least in So Cal--I won't say sunny as the Saturday practice was apparently very wet, and it rained on me heading up to the event & a little during the morning course walk. Fortunately for me, I ran & worked in the afternoon; it was dry but cold & windy. Between the weather & it being the first event, turnout was light. There was only myself, a '12 Boss, and a Foxbody representing Mustangs.

I had a nice, steep learning curve for this event. While I did manage to hit a Speed Ventures event in November, this is my first SCCA event in the Mustang. I am also learning the GoPro and trying to use some telemetry apps on the new smartphone--hey why just try to re-learn driving when I can try to learn to be a "race engineer" at the same time? I suceeded in getting the GoPro working, but only partly got the telemetry working; I got a couple of runs logged in RaceChrono, but nothing useful & I definitely need an external GPS. Yes, I also need an external mic for the camera.

So with all that in mind, yes I sucked driving the car. I ran RTR class & the stock Pirellis were not real happy with the cold weather, but I know there's more in the car than I got out of it. I did manage two clean runs (run 4 was clean despite the visual evidence later...) and only caught a single cone in the other two. I also steadily improved my times each run, so at least I'm heading in the right direction. How is it that when the weather gifts us more power, it takes away grip? It's not fair, I tell ya.

The course seemed pretty well suited to the big power cars as I didn't feel cramped. I also ran across a few configuration I don't recall seeing years ago last time I ran. I'm fairly pleased that I caught on to a couple of the little tricks at least in theory. Now I just need to work on hitting those apexes & keeping the rear end in line.

The runs are almost too embarrassing to post, but what the heck. At least I wasn't the guy who ran part of the course BACKWARDS & through the start. Yes, really.
Now for your amusement, the video:

Run 1
CSCC Solo II January 27, 2013 Run 1 - YouTube

Run 2
SCCA CSCC Solo II January 27, 2013 Run 2 - YouTube

Run 3
This was my best raw time, but I caught a cone at the end. Dammit.
SCCA CSCC Solo II January 27, 2013 Run 3 - YouTube

Run 4
This is actually a clean run, not for lack of trying to murder a bunch of innocent cones...
SCCA CSCC Solo II January 27, 2013 Run 4 - YouTube

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.