Marina autocross - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just replaced every piece in my front suspension with all brand new factory parts.
And new Tokico Illumina shocks and struts.
There was a bad tie rod end, two worn A arm bushings, the ball joints were weak, and both the strut bushings and the steering rack bushings were completely shot!
Just have to put the tie rods on tomorrow and then get it aligned.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
At least we have Andrew repping the DHG Bullitt, who needs two black Bullitts anyway? But if he shows it would pretty cool though. I just pulled some more timing from my horrible tune, and now it seems to be running great. I pulled a total of 4 degrees of timing, I just don't have much time to drive it and dial it in. But I'm feeling like we're close with the tune right now.
Yeah, that's not right.
I wonder if they knew about our California 91 octane "high test" when they wrote that tune?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #108
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I wish Cali would start getting 93... I would also love some Ethanol free gas

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
My goal at the end of summer was to work on suspension.... But i ended up spending it on the wheels and tires lol. And now my main focus is saving up for the cosmetic overhaul
I usually focus more on suspension myself, but I opted to upgrade my wheels also. Looks like we have real similar set ups though.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I just replaced every piece in my front suspension with all brand new factory parts. And new Tokico Illumina shocks and struts. There was a bad tie rod end, two worn A arm bushings, the ball joints were weak, and both the strut bushings and the steering rack bushings were completely shot! Just have to put the tie rods on tomorrow and then get it aligned.
Very cool! I wonder how much your new parts will improve your cats ride and most importantly your lap times.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Yeah, that's not right. I wonder if they knew about our California 91 octane "high test" when they wrote that tune?
I just had a chance to drive it a little more, and I feel like the tune is pretty good now. No signs of any pinging any more.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you got the pinging worked out.

I didn't have time to get it aligned today but I took it for a short drive and it feels very good even slightly out of alignment. Much more precise steering. The struts feel great. I haven't put the shocks on yet and now I can feel a noticeable difference between the front and the rear of the car. My old shocks and struts were a TERRIBLE match for the springs on this car.
I'll install the shocks in the morning and get it aligned, then start playing with the adjustment on the Illuminas...
Basically, learn to drive the car all over again.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad you got the pinging worked out. I didn't have time to get it aligned today but I took it for a short drive and it feels very good even slightly out of alignment. Much more precise steering. The struts feel great. I haven't put the shocks on yet and now I can feel a noticeable difference between the front and the rear of the car. My old shocks and struts were a TERRIBLE match for the springs on this car. I'll install the shocks in the morning and get it aligned, then start playing with the adjustment on the Illuminas... Basically, learn to drive the car all over again.
I'm stoked that you got some proper shocks/struts for your springs! Are the illuminas adjustable? If so, I hate you
Old 10-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm stoked that you got some proper shocks/struts for your springs! Are the illuminas adjustable? If so, I hate you
They are... hate away.

Why didn't anyone tell me that our cars aren't supposed to drive like an old truck? They're not supposed to wander and need constant corrections to drive straight down the road? They don't normally bump steer?
Haha.
I knew the front end needed some work when I bought it.
I guess it drives like a brand new Bullitt again. I'm VERY happy with the results
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It would be awesome to see 4 Bullitts in one place...... But letz be honest, mine will be the best
It's hard to beat Bullitt1075's car but I'm going to concede second place already. My car will have a set of "battle weary" mismatched Bullitts on it.
I.have my Dunlops mounted on them because I'm paranoid about hurting my mint condition OE Bullitts.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's hard to beat Bullitt1075's car but I'm going to concede second place already. My car will have a set of "battle weary" mismatched Bullitts on it. I.have my Dunlops mounted on them because I'm paranoid about hurting my mint condition OE Bullitts.
It was already close before you corrected your suspension, so I think this Sunday is going to be close! I'm starting to get real excited, I just washed my car, got my tune straight(which could make a little difference), and I'll check all my fluids tomorrow. Sunday morning before I leave and I'll get my tire pressures where I want them and then I'll be straight.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #115
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm just coming as is Sunday lol. I'll give it a whips down, but I'm not dropping tire pressure before a 2 hour drive.

HID end all thread
Old 10-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just coming as is Sunday lol. I'll give it a whips down, but I'm not dropping tire pressure before a 2 hour drive.
I wouldn't mess with tire pressures if I were you before the drive down either. But I actually add air to my front tires to help reduce sidewall flex. I don't mess with rears, I just keep them around 32lbs. Last event I ran 38lbs up front, but my tires were flexing too much under heavy braking for my liking. I'll probably try 40lbs up front this Sunday, and see how I fare. But that's about all I will do.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been using just slightly higher pressure in my front tires only, but I'm basically using my "street" tire pressure. That's why I chose to mount my Dunlops on my old rims. With lower tire pressures you are putting your rims at risk of rolling a tire off the rim during hard cornering.
There is a 7-11 just before you get to the track that has air. Also, you can't swing a dead cat at the track without hitting someone who has an air compressor.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been using just slightly higher pressure in my front tires only, but I'm basically using my "street" tire pressure. That's why I chose to mount my Dunlops on my old rims. With lower tire pressures you are putting your rims at risk of rolling a tire off the rim during hard cornering. There is a 7-11 just before you get to the track that has air. Also, you can't swing a dead cat at the track without hitting someone who has an air compressor.
I was thinking he could stop at the 7-11, but I wasn't sure if they had air. Ha! Dead cat.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking he could stop at the 7-11, but I wasn't sure if they had air. Ha! Dead cat.
Lol.

They have air but I would wait until the tires cool down before making any adjustments. I've been putting 38 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear with the tires stone cold. It's amazing how much heat effects the pressure in these tires. Just the sun hitting one side of the car will raise the tire pressure.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #120
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I believe my current psi is at either 32 or 34. I'll probably just leave it at that.

HID end all thread
Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol.

They have air but I would wait until the tires cool down before making any adjustments. I've been putting 38 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear with the tires stone cold. It's amazing how much heat effects the pressure in these tires. Just the sun hitting one side of the car will raise the tire pressure.
38 psi is what I ran with my old Falkens up front, and it seemed to be perfect. But my nittos seem to like more PSI. Hopefully 40 will be the sweet spot. I hate seeing scuffs half way up my sidewalls.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe my current psi is at either 32 or 34. I'll probably just leave it at that.
you should be perfect with those pressures, and like Straybullitt said, there is always someone there with a compressor.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Getting excited now, can't wait to get back out there. Looks like you've already locked down third in ESP for the season, congrats Straybullitt!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #124
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Can't wait either! I'm gonna top of the tank today so she is all ready to go tomorrow.

HID end all thread
Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Getting excited now, can't wait to get back out there. Looks like you've already locked down third in ESP for the season, congrats Straybullitt!
Thanks!
A small disclaimer, though; There are only three of us who regularly run in ESP.
I would be second in the points but I missed three out of the ten races this season.
It's been a fun year and I think that I did ok overall, considering that for most of the year my two main competitors were on R compound tires and I was on 300 treadwear street tires. And my car had some handling issues that I wish I could have addressed earlier but I had other priorities.
I really have you to thank (or blame) for getting me into this Jonathan.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't wait either! I'm gonna top of the tank today so she is all ready to go tomorrow.
That will leave you with about a half tank when you get there which is about the fuel load that I like to carry when I'm out there.
Perfect!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #127
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
That will leave you with about a half tank when you get there which is about the fuel load that I like to carry when I'm out there. Perfect!
Maybe not half. I was able to get here with 1/4 tank on an 1.5 hour drive. And it's only another 20 minutes.

HID end all thread
Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe not half. I was able to get here with 1/4 tank on an 1.5 hour drive. And it's only another 20 minutes.
Yeah, its what 110 or 120 miles? That will only be around 5 gallons...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #129
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah, its what 110 or 120 miles? That will only be around 5 gallons...
Yea it is actually. The map I looked at earlier said like 90 miles. Either way I should be able to make it there and back on a single tank.

HID end all thread
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

I saw another blue Bullitt in Capitola today, but it had some 20 inch rims that looked terrible, and he had fogs on it. I'm not sure how I feel about putting fog lights on Bullitts. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep because I'll be so anxious! Can't wait!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I saw another blue Bullitt in Capitola today, but it had some 20 inch rims that looked terrible, and he had fogs on it. I'm not sure how I feel about putting fog lights on Bullitts. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep because I'll be so anxious! Can't wait!
Haha
Im the same way.
I don't know why. It's just a bunch of us Yahoo's driving our cars around on an old airfield.
I think part of it, for me, is I'm usually doing something to my car the night before and I get a little wound up. This time, the car has been ready for a couple of days so I'll see if that helps.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #132
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well when we are all there if I seem a little out of it it's cause I'll probably be half awake lol. Got to get up at like 5 tomorrow

HID end all thread
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha Im the same way. I don't know why. It's just a bunch of us Yahoo's driving our cars around on an old airfield. I think part of it, for me, is I'm usually doing something to my car the night before and I get a little wound up. This time, the car has been ready for a couple of days so I'll see if that helps.
Hopefully you will be well rested for tomorrow. I've got a half tank of gas, my fluids are good, and my tires have the right amount of air in them. So I won't have to do anything but drive down. But I'm sure I'll still have trouble sleeping tonight.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Well when we are all there if I seem a little out of it it's cause I'll probably be half awake lol. Got to get up at like 5 tomorrow
Ha! I won't judge you.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #134
ME Bloodhound
Staff

That's it right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2983389215.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	134030  

HID end all thread
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's it right?
Exactly!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
I never really thought about it before but that airport property is about the same size as the entire city of Marina...
Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #137
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Haha. I never really thought about it before but that airport property is about the same size as the entire city of Marina...
The autocross at Mather airforce base was confusing to find cause it's so big lol

HID end all thread
Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The autocross at Mather airforce base was confusing to find cause it's so big lol
If your directions have you coming from Hwy 1 you just take a left off of Reservation Rd onto Neeson and you'll come to a stop sign, keep going straight and you'll see the autocross signs pointing to the entrance on your right.
This was a Army airfield used mainly for helicopters, hence, the huge ramp areas. We only use one of them!
It's not nearly as developed as Mather, in fact it was always seperated from the main military base (Fort Ord) by Reservation Rd.
You'll have no problem finding it...
Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #139
ME Bloodhound
Staff

They have helmet rentals correct? I do not have my own, I borrowed a friends last time.

HID end all thread
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have helmet rentals correct? I do not have my own, I borrowed a friends last time.
They have a bunch of loaner helmets and they're free. All you do is give them your drivers license to keep until you return it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track