Marina autocross - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Just don't come to Cali... Yea the weather is awesome, but the state is not car friendly one bit.
Texas, Arizona, and Cali are at the top of the list. I know they aren't car friendly in Cali, but I have family in San Diego and they're all in love with the place.
Arustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I doubt Massachusetts is much better...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I doubt Massachusetts is much better...
You're right about that!
Arustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik View Post
Texas, Arizona, and Cali are at the top of the list. I know they aren't car friendly in Cali, but I have family in San Diego and they're all in love with the place.

Texas
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
It was a fun day and I think that was probably the best balanced track of the season, as far as heavy and light cars go anyways.
Dennis saved the best for last...
I had a blast this year! I sure as hell didn't set the world on fire out there but I was able to hone my skills and improve my car enough to be, reasonably, competitive by the end of the year...with comparable cars and drivers anyways.
I highly recommend everyone giving it a try. It allows you to learn the limits of your car without risking any damage on the streets and will make you a safer driver. Sure, you're going to get beat by old ladies in a Lotus every once in a while but suck it up. You have to do it to be good at it.
I have to thank Bullitt1075 for getting me interested in autocrossing in the first place. He's an excellent driver and was one of the reasons that I tried so hard.
I'm not thrilled about how the ESP class has been run by the club but that's something that we'll have to work out next year... If there is a next year.

I guess we'll find out early next year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392853744.131778.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	148253

Sadly it looks as though 2014 is the last year for the UFO autox in Marina
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392854336.791445.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	148255
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #182
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Attachment 148253

Sadly it looks as though 2014 is the last year for the UFO autox in Marina
Well, I suppose that it shouldn't come as too much of a shock, it was one of the main topics of conversation all last year.
I'd, quite frankly, almost given up hope that they would approve it for 2014.
What a shame.
That site will be hard to replace...

So Oakland... Huh Andrew?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #184
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Well, I suppose that it shouldn't come as too much of a shock, it was one of the main topics of conversation all last year.

I'd, quite frankly, almost given up hope that they would approve it for 2014.

What a shame.

That site will be hard to replace...

So Oakland... Huh Andrew?

Hell ya!!!!

HID end all thread
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great to hear! I wish I could attend, but I have to drive my wife to a photo shoot that day. Kick some *** for me Ron!
Well, damnit, my alternator didn't come today. It's apparently in Utah somewhere.
I think that I'm going to skip this event. It's a long drive for me, now, to do with a weak alternator.
I'll have a chance to get my car right and give em hell at the next event...
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Event #2 of the 2014 season is Tomorrow.

I'm so EXCITED!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm so EXCITED!!!!!!!!

So bummed. I'm working tomorrow
Old 03-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm so EXCITED!!!!!!!!

So.... How do you think you did?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So.... How do you think you did?
I WON ESP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha. I'm soooooooo Happy!
The Bullitt was AWESOME!
This was the best day of autocross EVER!

It was a pretty tight track. Even the 914's were spinning out. I was a second faster than the second place car which was a well setup Camaro.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome Ron! I'm so happy for you! We're any if the usual suspects in ESP there?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's awesome Ron! I'm so happy for you! We're any if the usual suspects in ESP there?
Thanks!
Yang, who has the 5.0lL, and usually wins whenever he's, sporadically, there, apparently bought a Subaru or something, I think, so he is no longer in the class.
Bob, who, as you know, won first place in points last year, probably, won't be able to attend this year.

^ Why I came in first...

So anyway, it was me, the Camaro, and Joe is back this year,in ESP at this event.
The Camaro was a fourth generation Z/28 and it was about a second behind me for all four laps.
Lol. If I'd seen that Camaro on the street, I'd pretend like I didn't notice him....
I think that's what pleases me the most... beating that Camaro. It seems like I get beat by practically every one that shows up there.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Event #3 is tomorrow, Sunday March 30.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If this is the marina, near Monterey, I used to go there all the time when I was in the army at fort ord back in 89-91, not to autocross but to get drunk and chase women!
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
If this is the marina, near Monterey, I used to go there all the time when I was in the army at fort ord back in 89-91, not to autocross but to get drunk and chase women!
Haha.
Yes it is!
I was actually working on the base during those years. You were there right before Fort Ord was closed.
We race at the old airfield on the ramps where the helo's were parked.
If you were there in '89, you might remember the "cruise" on Main street in Salinas...
Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_rivas View Post
Cool

galaxy s4
Ok. Let me guess... You need the 50 posts so that you can get the AM forum disount... Right?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Event #3 is tomorrow, Sunday March 30.

I wish I could go, but my wife gave birth to our daughter 4 days ago on the 25th. But I hope to go to the next event.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396137265.591000.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	725.8 KB
ID:	152224
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
She's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Haha.
You're surrounded by women!

That's MUCH better than any autocross!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 AM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
congrats on the beautiful baby!! And yes I used to go to Salinas all the time and cruise the strip. I had a 1976 280z back then. I loved it there. I was in the 7th MP company and got out right before they moved to ft. lewis.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! I feel so blessed to have two healthy daughters!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

I did it again!
Lost to a Camaro...
I came in second in ESP.

BOB IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so disappointed when I heard that he was not going to be there this year, you can imagine my surprise when I saw his car in the pits... It made my day!

I have a dilemma with that Camaro... It looks like it has lower control arm relocation brackets that change the geometry of the rear suspension, thus, making it ESP illegal. Another, of the "regulars" in ESP has a Mustang that is COMPLETELY ESP illegal, but needs every advantage possible to keep from looking like an out of control drifter out there.
I've decided that I'm not going to call this out... at this time, anyways.

Because Bob and I have a plan...

We think that Camaro Jacob probably got lucky and pulled off one good lap... it was that kind of track, fast with a nice straightaway, but one set of three, 20 foot, parallel gates to be negotiated. I've never seen a section of the track that required so many courseworkers. I hit a cone on three of the four laps... I think that it was the same cone each time! Lol.
We're not going to take any chances with Camaro Jacob, though... His car is fast and he just started autocrossing this season so he's bound to get better...
Bob seems to think that I'll have a better chance driving his car, on the R compound tires, so he offered to let me co-drive his car this year. I think that's what I'm going to do. Im also going to get a set of Hoosiers and a Torsen differential for my car. Then we can switch cars and use the Bullitt for some of the events.
We'll, at least, get the points to where it's Bob and I in the first and second positions and then reevaluate the plan from there...
Old 04-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Event #4 is tomorrow, Sunday, April 13.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Hoosiers FTW!!!!!

A6's are AWESOME!!!
I wanted to wait until the results were posted so that I could study the times and get a good idea of the true gain of using R comps. It looks like they shaved exactly 2 seconds off of my time. There's probably some more left though because they completely changed the way that the car drives so I'm going to have to make an adjustment to my driving style.
Incredible! For those who have never driven on R comps, I can't even really describe what a difference that they make. You can, basically, just toss out whatever you thought the limits of the car are on street tires, and relearn the new limits of the car.
It's too bad that the "entry price" of the tires is so high though... I was cringing about spending so much on tires, but after only 4 laps, it made it seem like money well spent.

The Camaro that won ESP the last event didn't show up to this event so we thought that it was just the three Mustangs in ESP. Bob and I decided to just drive our own cars because it seemed unnecessary to co-drive. Hell, I wasn't even going to put the R comps on my car and just use street tires so I could compare times with Bobs car which had R comps, but the temptation was too great and I threw them on at the last minute. After looking at the results, it seems that a Camaro and a Boss 302 snuck themselves into ESP but ran in the group before us. Lol. I, of course, saw the Boss 302, and it was a different car than the one that normally shows up. I never noticed the Camaro so I have no idea of specifics on that car. It doesn't matter though, Bob and I would have easily beat them both on street tires...
I had a couple of "personal bests" at this event... For the first time at Marina, I had the overall fastest Mustang and I broke into the top 30 of overall top times of the day coming in at #29 of 99 drivers.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #203
ME Bloodhound
Staff

1 question for you Ron..... Are the A6 worth the $$$$$$? Lol id love a set of track wheels and tires but they are pricey.

HID end all thread
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Marina autocross

Wow! That's great Ron! So now it looks like I've got to spend some serious cash on R comp rubber to keep up with you?!?! That's sweet that did so well and broke into the top. 30! Hopefully I will make the next event. Do you think I could get away with running F-Stock? I don't think I'll stand much of a chance with you guys in ESP now.

Quote:
A6's are AWESOME!!!

I wanted to wait until the results were posted so that I could study the times and get a good idea of the true gain of using R comps. It looks like they shaved exactly 2 seconds off of my time. There's probably some more left though because they completely changed the way that the car drives so I'm going to have to make an adjustment to my driving style.

Incredible! For those who have never driven on R comps, I can't even really describe what a difference that they make. You can, basically, just toss out whatever you thought the limits of the car are on street tires, and relearn the new limits of the car.

It's too bad that the "entry price" of the tires is so high though... I was cringing about spending so much on tires, but after only 4 laps, it made it seem like money well spent.

The Camaro that won ESP the last event didn't show up to this event so we thought that it was just the three Mustangs in ESP. Bob and I decided to just drive our own cars because it seemed unnecessary to co-drive. Hell, I wasn't even going to put the R comps on my car and just use street tires so I could compare times with Bobs car which had R comps, but the temptation was too great and I threw them on at the last minute. After looking at the results, it seems that a Camaro and a Boss 302 snuck themselves into ESP but ran in the group before us. Lol. I, of course, saw the Boss 302, and it was a different car than the one that normally shows up. I never noticed the Camaro so I have no idea of specifics on that car. It doesn't matter though, Bob and I would have easily beat them both on street tires...

I had a couple of "personal bests" at this event... For the first time at Marina, I had the overall fastest Mustang and I broke into the top 30 of overall top times of the day coming in at #29 of 99 drivers.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
1 question for you Ron..... Are the A6 worth the $$$$$$? Lol id love a set of track wheels and tires but they are pricey.
Lol
l had to think about that for a while.
No one will argue that the A6's are the best autocross tires available. The only drawback is the expense. It really adds a LOT to the cost per lap when you include the tire wear into the equation.
It was kind of funny, as soon as I started taking them out of my car, people were coming around and giving me good advice on what to expect and how to best utilize the tires. I think that the best advice that I received though, was to not waste the first half of the tires figuring out that the limits of the car are FAR beyond what they were on street tires, and to, right from the first lap, start driving the car at what you think is BEYOND the limits of the car, and keep going faster until you reach the new limit.
I was about as fast as I was ever going to be on street tires in my car. I think that I was fast enough that I can make the switch to R comps and be able to use them to my full advantage without having too much of a learning curve where I'm just out there driving around and wasting them.
What I would recommend, to anyone starting out, is to use 200 treadwear street tires until they were absolutely certain that their skill level had risen to a point that they could be fast enough to get the full "bang for the buck" out of the race tires.
Haha. That was a complicated answer!
No. They're not for everyone. You can go out there and have a good time, be competitive, and NOT spend a lot of money doing it.

Anyways, I'll let you be the judge of if they're worth it or not...
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow! That's great Ron! So now it looks like I've got to spend some serious cash on R comp rubber to keep up with you?!?! That's sweet that did so well and broke into the top. 30! Hopefully I will make the next event. Do you think I could get away with running F-Stock? I don't think I'll stand much of a chance with you guys in ESP now.
Thanks!
I think that the rear wheels on your car would bump you out of F-stock. You could change back the CAI easy enough and nothing else is visible. Gary probably wouldn't care though because you'll play hell trying to beat him and that 5.0 of his... The closest that I came to him, on street tires, is 2/10ths of a second and I'm not sure but I don't think that Bob was ever able to beat him on street tires either. If you want to try, I'll loan you my Dunlops, they're the same tires that he has on his car.
If you want to wait until the event after the next one though, or any of the remaining events, we can put the Hoosiers on your car and co-drive it, you HAVE to experience these tires on our cars to believe it!
Same thing with you Andrew, you're going to have to make at least one trip to Marina this year.
Haha. These tires are WAY too b!tchen not to share so you guys have got to check them out!
I'm going to have a new differential installed for the next event so Bob is probably going to co-drive my car at that one because he wants to try out that new diff to see if he likes it.
There are 6 more events after that though...
Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Marina ufo auto-x series cancelled

It's officially over.
I recieved the news yesterday but wanted to wait until it was posted on the UFO website.
Some insurance issue precludes the people who run the club from conducting autocross events, so that's it... Apparently, the United Five-ten Owners club is going to disband altogether and cease to exist.
We knew it was coming to an end after this season but what a shame that we can't finish out what would have been the last season.
Well, it was fun while it lasted and the United Five-ten Owners never failed to put on anything but an exceptional autocross every time.
I'm really going to miss them...
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's officially over.
I recieved the news yesterday but wanted to wait until it was posted on the UFO website.
Some insurance issue precludes the people who run the club from conducting autocross events, so that's it... Apparently, the United Five-ten Owners club is going to disband altogether and cease to exist.
We knew it was coming to an end after this season but what a shame that we can't finish out what would have been the last season.
Well, it was fun while it lasted and the United Five-ten Owners never failed to put on anything but an exceptional autocross every time.
I'm really going to miss them...

Such a bummer. It sure was fun while it lasted though.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #209
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Last minute autocross decision. Sorry Ron lol. Guess who is here

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400357227.044333.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	767.1 KB
ID:	157036

HID end all thread
Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

WTF?!!!???!??
Where are you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track