Marina autocross - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #246
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It was a faster track for the most part, more than Marina and Oakland, just didn't have the tires to hold me through the tight corners, and i don't think i was trusting my brakes as much as i should have. I topped out 2nd once on it, and my 2nd tops at 50-55mph now with the 4.10s

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #247
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well. Went to another today lol. At Mather again. And this one was by far the fastest, longest, and most technical track out of all the ones I've done.... And the most FUN. So many cars so we sadly only got 3 runs, but it was fun. Will have videos available tomorrow
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404019709.935128.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1,015.8 KB
ID:	160331

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #248
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Areas that need improvement. Oversteer entering corners, and brakes, definitely brakes. I love the new suspension. Even though I still couldn't keep up with my friends stock S2k it feels a lot better. Coilovers and some good tires and this car should shred.

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #249
Registered Member
Regular

Areas that need improvement: Notifying my fellow autocrossers of these events BEFORE they take place instead of after...

It's kind of strange that they have those events at Mather on Saturday all of the time. That's a SCCA event huh?
There must be another club using the field today?
The brakes are a key factor in making our cars handle well through the corners. As a matter of fact, I've always considered the factory brakes on the Bullitts to be one of the strong points of the car.
I'd do the shocks and struts and tires next. Wait until you get all of that dialed in and then decide what spring rates that you would like to go to.

Lets see the video!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #250
ME Bloodhound
Staff

They have the events on Saturday and Sunday. So its happening again right now, but i couldn't make it because of work. The plan so far for mods is:

1. Coilovers
2. Aluminum Driveshaft (vibrations at high speed)
3. Drilled/Slotted Brakes.... HPS Pads... Stainless Brake lines Font/Rear
4. Tires

I'm thinking of using the stock wheels and getting a set of NT01s, since they won't last too long on my car as a daily. I'll keep the summer tires on the Deep Dish Bullitts. Either that and go Dunlops on the Deep Dish wheels and daily those since they should last a fair amount of time, but thats more expensive cause of the staggered 18s.

Video uploading to YouTube as we speak.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #251
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
They have the events on Saturday and Sunday. So its happening again right now, but i couldn't make it because of work. The plan so far for mods is:

1. Coilovers
2. Aluminum Driveshaft (vibrations at high speed)
3. Drilled/Slotted Brakes.... HPS Pads... Stainless Brake lines Font/Rear
4. Tires

I'm thinking of using the stock wheels and getting a set of NT01s, since they won't last too long on my car as a daily. I'll keep the summer tires on the Deep Dish Bullitts. Either that and go Dunlops on the Deep Dish wheels and daily those since they should last a fair amount of time, but thats more expensive cause of the staggered 18s.

Video uploading to YouTube as we speak.
Don't bother going with drilled rptors, the extra cooling really isn't worth it when slotted will cool them off just fine. Running a set of square 17s will also help save some weight and reduce rotating mass, so that's always a nice benefit. Honestly with you running a staggered setup I would expect a lot more understeer than over steer, but I'm also running arch more exaggerated setup than you are, is it cause of the torque arm and Panhard bar that you're getting so much overstteer?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #252
Registered Member
Regular

Put the Dunlops on your 17's and save the staggered setup for the car shows where it will actually do you some good. Plus, the 17's are less expensive.
That will make a bigger difference than anything you've done so far.
Also, at some point, you're going to have to take a look at your bushings, steering rack bushings specifically.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #253
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Sorry about the wind noise.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #254
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Don't bother going with drilled rptors, the extra cooling really isn't worth it when slotted will cool them off just fine. Running a set of square 17s will also help save some weight and reduce rotating mass, so that's always a nice benefit. Honestly with you running a staggered setup I would expect a lot more understeer than over steer, but I'm also running arch more exaggerated setup than you are, is it cause of the torque arm and Panhard bar that you're getting so much overstteer?
Yea its probably because of the rear suspension work that i'm getting the oversteer. Also i know that the drilled and slotted won't really make a difference in cooling, that part is mainly for the looks.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #255
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Put the Dunlops on your 17's and save the staggered setup for the car shows where it will actually do you some good. Plus, the 17's are less expensive.
That will make a bigger difference than anything you've done so far.
Also, at some point, you're going to have to take a look at your bushings, steering rack bushings specifically.
If i put the tires on the 17s then i will want to go with super sticky, practically near slicks. And i plan to do get the K member, A arms, and steering rack all from MM hopefully. So bushings will all be replaced then.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #256
Registered Member
Regular

F'n AWESOME dude!!!
Except for the end where you were obviously using to much power through that corner, your car is udersteering through most of those corners, or pushing, the front end isn't turning a commensurate amount for the steering input. The wheel setup will help along with "trail braking" as deep as you can into the corners.
Haha. You have to start trying to resist spinning the car out on the last lap... Typically, that will be your fastest lap.
That looked good! And that track DID look fun!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #257
Registered Member
Regular

+1^ and a little toe up front will help with steering response in a turn
Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #258
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yea i didn't feel like i was giving it too much power. I guess with the combination of the understeering giving it a bit extra throttle caused it to lose control. The crossovers were confusing, as well as that first loop how it wasn't exactly a loop, you can see that it threw me off the first lap, and how it cuts inward right away. Thats where i was working to call in cones, so many people hit cones in that loop lol.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #259
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yea i meant to say understeer. I keep getting the 2 confused lol.

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #260
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If i put the tires on the 17s then i will want to go with super sticky, practically near slicks. And i plan to do get the K member, A arms, and steering rack all from MM hopefully. So bushings will all be replaced then.
If you get R-comps, you should put them on 9 inch rims so that you can run 275's. Get a set of super sticky street tires for your OE Bullitts and get as fast as you can on those and then move to the R-comps. You don't want to waste a set of race tires to learn on. They add about a hundred dollars to the cost of each race so you want to make them count!

If your steering rack isn't worn out, there's no reason to replace it, just the bushings...
Old 06-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #261
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I knew that you did.
I, sometimes, do too!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #262
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
If you get R-comps, you should put them on 9 inch rims so that you can run 275's. Get a set of super sticky street tires for your OE Bullitts and get as fast as you can on those and then move to the R-comps. You don't want to waste a set of race tires to learn on. They add about a hundred dollars to the cost of each race so you want to make them count!

If your steering rack isn't worn out, there's no reason to replace it, just the bushings...
Ok i heard the Dunlop Direzza ZII tires are discontinued... Is that true?

HID end all thread
Old 06-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #263
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok i heard the Dunlop Direzza ZII tires are discontinued... Is that true?
You can still get them if you hurry.
I should probably get another set for Bullitt#2...
Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #264
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That makes a lot more sense, our cars tend to take a lot to oversteer on a consistent basis. Adding some positive toe will help with the understeer along with a square wheel setup.

Sometimes I really hate threads like these cause it makes me want to go race my car some more
Old 06-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #265
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Holy crap that looks like such a fun course. All those lovely fast sweepers only one slalom and a fast one at that. Those beautiful WOT straights.... I am insanely jealous!!! Our track setups out here are much tighter with a lot less potential to really get on the throttle. Look at the vids I posted in the FS thread and know that is the most open, fastest course we have had all year and you will understand

Nice runs with a little bobble on the last one trail breaking to shift the weight onto the front in some of those corners will help negate the under steer you are having. Alternatively you might try breaking a bit earlier, setting up on a slightly more outside line and apexing early to get on the throttle as soon as possible. In a lot of cases I find with the 5.0 that getting on the throttle faster coming out of corners is faster than trail braking into them. The Coyote digs like crazy though so your mileage may vary.

Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #266
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_LV View Post
Holy crap that looks like such a fun course. All those lovely fast sweepers only one slalom and a fast one at that. Those beautiful WOT straights.... I am insanely jealous!!! Our track setups out here are much tighter with a lot less potential to really get on the throttle. Look at the vids I posted in the FS thread and know that is the most open, fastest course we have had all year and you will understand

Nice runs with a little bobble on the last one trail breaking to shift the weight onto the front in some of those corners will help negate the under steer you are having. Alternatively you might try breaking a bit earlier, setting up on a slightly more outside line and apexing early to get on the throttle as soon as possible. In a lot of cases I find with the 5.0 that getting on the throttle faster coming out of corners is faster than trail braking into them. The Coyote digs like crazy though so your mileage may vary.

Static

Yea it was fun. The last event my gears were perfect (4.10s). At this one I would say that 3.73s would have been best for my car, or 3.90s.

Brakes definitely need work also. I'll have to put those higher up on my mod list.

HID end all thread
Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 AM   #267
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Also, Ron. I wasn't the only one to spin out lol. The Z06 behind me spun out across the finish line. And about half of the cars there that day spun out lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track