Going to the track. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Going to the track.

Well, the drag strip opens Friday the 26th, I'm going to try to be out there the night it opens up and go down the strip a few times.

Questions I have are, any el cheapo or, better yet, free things I can do to maybe open up a few ponies, or make it a little better off the line or down the track.

And, I'm not too familiar with drag racing, I've never been to or raced at a sanctioned track. Done a little drift, and some slalom. Any tips or tricks for launch, shift points, things like that? My mom dragged quite a bit in the late 80s, but she's never raced a manual car and in her words, she doesn't know how to get the best out of a 5 speed at the track and its been so long she's forgotten most of what she knew lol

My car is a 95 v6 5 speed, CAI, flowmaster true dual with x pipe and stock cats, still has egr and I want to say stock MAF.

Any tips/tricks or suggestions?
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There's a at the track section on the site, might get a few mor replies there. Just a suggestion tho!

Can't wait to take my sixxer to the track! Ill defiantly be following your thread of people post some pointers. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
basically just hold rpms about 2k and roll into it...your first track visit will be more about learning the ropes then going for a good et. Ask lots of questions from guys in your class and have fun. i'm gonna say with your current mods you'll pull high 16s to mid 17s. good luck and let us know how you do

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
basically just hold rpms about 2k and roll into it...your first track visit will be more about learning the ropes then going for a good et. Ask lots of questions from guys in your class and have fun. i'm gonna say with your current mods you'll pull high 16s to mid 17s. good luck and let us know how you do
Like stated above your first time around you just wanna learn and pick up some tips from other racers. And have fun with it.
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I don't have high expectations, its a stock 6er, I just want to have fun.

I've noticed if I don't dump my clutch out, if I'm holding at around 2-2200 and come off the clutch the engine bogs down for a sec and then picks up?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

it takes practice to roll out without bogging..you'll need to find the sweet spot. maybe watch a how to launch vid on youtube

Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ill def. Do that.

I'm gonna clean my maf, pcv, and a couple other things tomorrow. If I can get some piping I'm probably going to do away with my cats as well.

Any other maintenence ideas or tips for some "free horspower"?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

lol nothing really if you're taking care of the car...you can run just a 1/4 tank to lighten your load. you can leave the jack and spare though...some say lose all the weight you can but i'm more about strategic placement of weight..and having a bit of weight right there over the rear to me isn't bad at all...your choice over all maybe run a few times doing both methods

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've done some "weight reduction" lol, gutted trunk (full of tools and floor jack right now so that was pointless), lightweight hood, simple crap like that.

I know on older dsm's there's a tonn of things you can do to open up almost 40 hp, I didn't know if these engines had anything like that.

I don't know how I'm going to get to my maf, there's security torx screws holding it in and I don't have any bits like that
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Have low or no expectations first time out. Expect low 16s or high 15s until you can manage a launch in the 2.2s with fast shifting. You have a peg leg, so launching is that much harder. Race against yourself, never mind the green light nor who is next to you.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Have low or no expectations first time out. Expect low 16s or high 15s until you can manage a launch in the 2.2s with fast shifting. You have a peg leg, so launching is that much harder. Race against yourself, never mind the green light nor who is next to you.
Right on.

Kinda confused me there, what do you mean launch in the 2.2s? And I take it the peg leg is the 1 wheel peel? Lol
Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Right on.

Kinda confused me there, what do you mean launch in the 2.2s? And I take it the peg leg is the 1 wheel peel? Lol
Yes. Open differential.

2.2 is your launch time.

All good runs, and really the only way to get a good time is to launch good.

A RWD peg leg should be pulling in 2.2s or even 2.1. That is the seconds it takes to cover the first 60 feet of the track. Launching ironically is also the hardest thing to master.

Get out there and run, see what you do, then we can dissect from there

Do you know how a drag timing tree works?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. Open differential.

2.2 is your launch time.

All good runs, and really the only way to get a good time is to launch good.

A RWD peg leg should be pulling in 2.2s or even 2.1. That is the seconds it takes to cover the first 60 feet of the track. Launching ironically is also the hardest thing to master.

Get out there and run, see what you do, then we can dissect from there

Do you know how a drag timing tree works?
vaguely, my mom said about starting the launch at the last yellow right before the green?

got my maf cleaned today and scrubbed/sanded as many grounds under the hood as I could get my hands on and it made a HUGE difference, no more shaking at idle, slightly better throttle response, revs quicker.. threw a few rocks backing out of the driveway lol

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

ive seen and heard a lot from am drift guys about welding the spiders in the diff, they say as long as its done right that the only time they have issues is tight parking it squeels the tires. if I can get one for a good deal i'm going to pick up a 94-04 8.8 to swap in, would having the spiders welded in my current 7.5" be a idea worth trying?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Not If its a DD drive and still it's way to dangerous in my opinion
Torchredfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchredfrankie View Post
Not If its a DD drive and still it's way to dangerous in my opinion
I've never driven a car with a welded diff, I'm hesitant about it as well, I had a rear end lock up in my old jeep going 25, I can't imagine what may have happened if I was at highway speeds and that happened.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
vaguely, my mom said about starting the launch at the last yellow right before the green?

got my maf cleaned today and scrubbed/sanded as many grounds under the hood as I could get my hands on and it made a HUGE difference, no more shaking at idle, slightly better throttle response, revs quicker.. threw a few rocks backing out of the driveway lol

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

ive seen and heard a lot from am drift guys about welding the spiders in the diff, they say as long as its done right that the only time they have issues is tight parking it squeels the tires. if I can get one for a good deal i'm going to pick up a 94-04 8.8 to swap in, would having the spiders welded in my current 7.5" be a idea worth trying?
Well, you drop on the last yellow if that is what you want to do, but when the light turns green, it doesn't clock your time until you move.

So even if it is green, you can sit there for a few seconds and launch your car properly or to your comfort level. The light being green just times how fast you react to it changing to green, the 1/4 mile timer is separate.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, you drop on the last yellow if that is what you want to do, but when the light turns green, it doesn't clock your time until you move.

So even if it is green, you can sit there for a few seconds and launch your car properly or to your comfort level. The light being green just times how fast you react to it changing to green, the 1/4 mile timer is separate.
Ok, that makes sense. So really, the green is reaction time between you and the other driver more or less?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. So really, the green is reaction time between you and the other driver more or less?
Exactly.

For example, if you and the other driver have the same vehicle and for all intents and purposes of the argument, have the same power and driving ability to the exact point, then imagine this scenario.

Light is green and you react in 1.1 seconds and he reacts in 1.0 seconds. You both run a time of 12.5 but he wins by .1

Make sense?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, my buddies mom and dad race, she drives a 98 svt cobra 5sp, he's got a 94 lightning auto. She's got lower times by he wins every race because she doesn't have launching down
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Track opens tonight! I'm watching the weather in the area because its been hit and miss these past couple days.. going to take the hood that's on it off before I head out there (one 75mph trip on the freeway was enough for me to not trust this flimsy SOB) and hope that nothing comes up, as it usually does.. with all luck, ill post some times up later tonight!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

1st run-
reac. 1.58
60ft 3.35
1/8 et 12.37
1/4 et 19.3 @ 60.48 mph.

2nd run-
Reac. .967
60ft 2.79
1/8 et 11.32
1/4 et 17.87 @ 68.27

3rd run- guy gave me the wrong time slip and ill never know my time that pass, but it felt like my best run.

4th and final pass of the evening-
Reac.1.49
60ft 3.29
1/8 et 12.02
1/4 et 18.5 @ 66.49

Not a bad first time I don't think. I know no matter how soft or hard I launched I couldn't grip coming off the line for crap, 1st run burned the tires for the 1st 60ft, and the last run I had tap the clutch and quit burning the tires.. the 2md and 3rd runs were good, but my launch on #3 was great.. figures that's the one the slip got messed up haha
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to drop my rear tire pressure next time out. I have it pretty high to compensate for the weather and mpg lol
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you have street tires dropping the pressure will only hurt you further.

3+ 60 foot? That's tough

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

3+ 60 foot? That's tough
I know that allot of people like to say that lower pressure on a street tire will hurt your time but I am set on doing away with this generalization... first off, there are thousands of different street tires out on the market today, saying that every single one of them will run worse with lower PSI is just not reasonable... secondly, I have personally had decent results playing with my air pressure, granted I'm not going down to 15psi or lower like some drag radials or slicks but my testing has shown undeniable results. I have also found that every street tire seems to like a different PSI and that may be part of the reason people don't think lower PSI helps...because people don't do there own testing and just ask a friend that couldn't possibly know the correct answer. A good example is My pilot sports like to run almost 5 psi less than than the energy savers that come stock.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

3+ 60 foot? That's tough
Well, my launching definately needs work, that's for sure. But I could not catch traction off line at all.. probably didn't help that it was about 37 degrees by my first stage and they seemed like they were spraying the tree area every 3 runs..

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

I know that allot of people like to say that lower pressure on a street tire will hurt your time but I am set on doing away with this generalization... first off, there are thousands of different street tires out on the market today, saying that every single one of them will run worse with lower PSI is just not reasonable... secondly, I have personally had decent results playing with my air pressure, granted I'm not going down to 15psi or lower like some drag radials or slicks but my testing has shown undeniable results. I have also found that every street tire seems to like a different PSI and that may be part of the reason people don't think lower PSI helps...because people don't do there own testing and just ask a friend that couldn't possibly know the correct answer. A good example is My pilot sports like to run almost 5 psi less than than the energy savers that come stock.
I think mine are bridgestones.. I've never really paid attention, they had 300 miles on them when I bought the car so I haven't had a real reason to check them out.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

Well it isn't undeniable results. What were your before and after 60 foot times? If they both weren't stellar then it didn't work. Additionally, the one thing that you did say that I can agree with is different PSI for different tires. If you have the manufacturers recommended PSI in to begin with, the lowering PSI will not help at all. But if your tire should have 32 lbs and has 42 lbs, it is severely over inflated which would net results from lowering PSI but if you're where you need to be, playing with PSI in the 1 to 2 PSI range is all that you will get results from. More than likely arbitrary results.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track