Gearing for 1/4 mile - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gearing for 1/4 mile

Well I have a 2012 v6. Currently with the 2.73 rear gears and I'm crossing the line in 3rd at about 6k rpms. Its a manual. I'm aiming for a low 13 second 1/4 at least.

So my question I guess is, would it be better to have 3.73/4.10 and finish in 4th or have a gear that keeps me in 3rd? I'm really not sure which way to go with it. Any input would be great!
Sorry if I put this In the wrong section.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Well I have a 2012 v6. Currently with the 2.73 rear gears and I'm crossing the line in 3rd at about 6k rpms. Its a manual. I'm aiming for a low 13 second 1/4 at least.

So my question I guess is, would it be better to have 3.73/4.10 and finish in 4th or have a gear that keeps me in 3rd? I'm really not sure which way to go with it. Any input would be great!
What else do you have done to the car?
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit

With 3.73s you would definitely be in 4th gear by the end of the 1/4. I have 3.31s and by the time I cross the 1/4 I'm either in 4th or at the very end of 3rd. If it's auto I'd go for 4.10s, if it is manual, get 3.73s
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

What else do you have done to the car?
As of right now, just a bama race tune, bbk O/R x-pipe, and GT ota pipes with gt500 A/B's.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

With 3.73s you would definitely be in 4th gear by the end of the 1/4. I have 3.31s and by the time I cross the 1/4 I'm either in 4th or at the very end of 3rd. If it's auto I'd go for 4.10s, if it is manual, get 3.73s
Its a manual. I was thinking 3.73s but would I be near the top of 4th?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As of right now, just a bama race tune, bbk O/R x-pipe, and GT ota pipes with gt500 A/B's.
Well what is your best run so far? I would invest in tires long before gears.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well what is your best run so far? I would invest in tires long before gears.
I have 275/40/17s on it at the moment. Nt555s. My run is on the left. Sorry its sideways. That run was with just a tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130803_114746.png
Views:	95
Size:	726.2 KB
ID:	121825  
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have 275/40/17s on it at the moment. Nt555s. My run is on the left. Sorry its sideways. That run was with just a tune.
That's actually a very strong run. Cutting your 60ft down would help you alot. But you could use more HP honestly. At 102mph getting to a 13flat would mean you will need a near perfect run. I could be wrong, but I don't think that just changing the gear you cross the line in will help you near a whole second. I see that you said that run was pre-tune so you might try again. You might be closer than you think to a 13 already. Those 555s have to be super hot to be sticky and you might try rolling into the throttle 1/4-1/2 an then mashing it
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's actually a very strong run. Cutting your 60ft down would help you alot. But you could use more HP honestly. At 102mph getting to a 13flat would mean you will need a near perfect run. I could be wrong, but I don't think that just changing the gear you cross the line in will help you near a whole second. I see that you said that run was pre-tune so you might try again. You might be closer than you think to a 13 already. Those 555s have to be super hot to be sticky and you might try rolling into the throttle 1/4-1/2 an then mashing it
I just have the street version of the tires. I had the tune that run but no exhaust work. I'm planning on some more mods, but also to stay N/A and some suspension work probably come spring time. I had been launching from about 4k and kinda just dumping it. I didn't really spin, I just bogged a lot.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I just have the street version of the tires. I had the tune that run but no exhaust work. I'm planning on some more mods, but also to stay N/A and some suspension work probably come spring time. I had been launching from about 4k and kinda just dumping it. I didn't really spin, I just bogged a lot.
Well you should feather the clutch out more then if you are a manual. Try maybe 4500rpms and go half clutch till you start rolling and then dump it
Old 08-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well you should feather the clutch out more then if you are a manual. Try maybe 4500rpms and go half clutch till you start rolling and then dump it
I'll give that a shot! Would that be too hard on the clutch or?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
If you aren't spinning and are bogging off the line, you need to launch harder.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

If you aren't spinning and are bogging off the line, you need to launch harder.
This exactly.

I launch at 3200ish rpms in my 5.0 and even feathering the throttle I would spin my stock tires. When I got the nitto invos that stopped and I get very little wheelspin, but 1.9 is my best 60ft ever in my mustang.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This exactly.

I launch at 3200ish rpms in my 5.0 and even feathering the throttle I would spin my stock tires. When I got the nitto invos that stopped and I get very little wheelspin, but 1.9 is my best 60ft ever in my mustang.
Well I guess I'll practice launching higher. But would it be better to have a gear to stay in third or one that pulls through 4th?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I guess I'll practice launching higher. But would it be better to have a gear to stay in third or one that pulls through 4th?
Well just think of it this way.. Every moment it takes to shift is a moment you aren't accelerating to the finish line. The less time you spend shifting the more time you'll shave off your ET. If you are crossing in 3rd and not at a high enough RPM to damage your motor then getting into 4th will not be beneficial as you would be wasting your power band in 3rd to shift to 4th. It would take a significant change in gearing to make enough difference for a while gear change to be worth it. And I'm talking like 3:15 to 4:10s
Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well just think of it this way.. Every moment it takes to shift is a moment you aren't accelerating to the finish line. The less time you spend shifting the more time you'll shave off your ET. If you are crossing in 3rd and not at a high enough RPM to damage your motor then getting into 4th will not be beneficial as you would be wasting your power band in 3rd to shift to 4th. It would take a significant change in gearing to make enough difference for a while gear change to be worth it. And I'm talking like 3:15 to 4:10s
I appreciate the info, I was just thinking anything must be better than these 2.73s haha. It takes a bit to even get into the powerband
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I appreciate the info, I was just thinking anything must be better than these 2.73s haha. It takes a bit to even get into the powerband
Well I would imagine they have to do with you bogging down at a launch. Higher rpm launch and you should be good to go, IMO. Your run was already really strong
Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I would imagine they have to do with you bogging down at a launch. Higher rpm launch and you should be good to go, IMO. Your run was already really strong
Well I appreciate all the help! I'm hoping next time I go, I can hopefully get a few food runs in. I feel like I could shave some time off now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track