351w best/cheapest block to build? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
351w best/cheapest block to build?

I wasn't sure where to ask this at but I thought the people in the racing forum might have more experience. I've been researching 351w strokers, I'd like to build a 427w with as much HP as possible without spending to much on the block. Hopefully close to 650-700hp.

I'm worried about the mains and the webbing, They say the 2 bolt mains hold it back, they also say if you put 4 bolt mains in a 2 bolt block it will weaken the webbing making it worse. I'm really confused here, I know building High Powered engines is usually a gamble and your taking a risk building one.

Most of the blocks I find are '72 or newer, people say the earlier blocks are stronger, but also have a slighly smaller deck which complicates strokers.

I'm pretty confused here...
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I want to know this too i plan on getting a v8 soon still deciding on to get a 302 or a 351
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the 351 can obviously make more power, and if the mustang in the profile pic is yours I would definitely go with a 351.
I just want to know what I have to do to get the most power out of it, or if it's even possible.
I do not want to buy an aftermarket block, too expensive for my pockets and bank... I've found regular blocks from $300-500 though.

ALSO how much does it cost to do a 4 bolt main conversion, I think theres some kinda honing you have to do, what's that called and how much does it usually cost lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get a ford racing boss block that's a 351 and you'll be all set. 4 bolt main, decent compression, throw in a nasty head cam and intake and voila!

Going to cost you around 10 grand but it'll be solid as ****!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
the 351 can obviously make more power, and if the mustang in the profile pic is yours I would definitely go with a 351.
I just want to know what I have to do to get the most power out of it, or if it's even possible.
I do not want to buy an aftermarket block, too expensive for my pockets and bank... I've found regular blocks from $300-500 though.

ALSO how much does it cost to do a 4 bolt main conversion, I think theres some kinda honing you have to do, what's that called and how much does it usually cost lol.
Its just that 302 are like a Dime a dozen amd parts are cheap and easy to get
Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
351 parts are usually only 50 bucks more if that...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Its just that 302 are like a Dime a dozen amd parts are cheap and easy to get
302's are cheap, I got a running one for completely free.
it was in a f150 originally owned by a logging company it got rolled, some teenager bought it and left it at kernen construction. My dad use to work there and I did for 1 summer. I asked if I could have the engine, and they said okay. It was sitting in there yard for 8+ years lol. I'm going to put a intake and carb on it, then a quick tune up(oil change, sparkplug)
I also have a wrecked 01 GT, that I got for $280 with the idea of swapping it into my 95, but damn I was doing the research and I'd have to tear apart my whole car.
I think I'll just find a cheap foxbody and swap it into that then convert it to a carb and some aftermarket stuff to make it run right.

I think the 351w is probably the best way to make power though, with the possibilities of stroking it to 427 cui.

I might just have to settle for a cheaper 351w build if the stock blocks can't handle what I want. A stock block is $200-500 and I looked up some aftermarket blocks and they cost $2000 or more. which is more than I want to spend on just the engine block.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i want to get the most power for the littest money
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Littlest money and i was also think i see a lot more used parts for a 302 on cl than a 351w and plus i eventually would sc mine so by time that comes ill be making enough power and ill be saving weight idk how much but atleast some and thats what i mean by 302 are a dime a dozen you can get them anywhere at anytime the only down fall is that everyone and their mother has a 302 in a mustang which i fine i just dont want what everyone else has you know? Im not really going to be doing this swap anytime soon prob like a year or so ill just have to see whats up then ill probably just go with a 351w in the end
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

351's are pretty cheap though, I wished I would of jumped on this deal I saw, it was $200 for two running ford 5.8's, one leaked oil and the other was fine. only $200 for both of them.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Damn that is a pretty good deal ill just have too see what i can do with what money i have when it comes time to do the swap
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Yeah i want to get the most power for the littest money
Cheap and a lot of power do not go together in the same sentence. To get anything meaningful, meaning over 400 to the wheels properly you are looking at a $4-$5k build for the engine. That's not even factoring anything else like the fuel system to feed it, trans/suspension to get the power to the ground so you don't get dusted by some 320whp cammed 2V running high 11s, and safety equipment like a good cage so you don't die if/when you pile it into a barrier.

To answer your original question, any 351 block can take 700hp, I'd just get a F4 roller block and go that route.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track