Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New Best Time

5K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  garbill2003 
#1 ·
Went out to the track tonight and set a new best for myself!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That's awesome! 13.7@103 with simple mods and a tune is really impressive.

What are your future plans for the car?

-Dan

#11 ·
Yeah sorry, but I wouldn't go wider than that. I had just bought these tires for my 05, which had 8" wide rims and the 275 fit better. I thought these rims were 8" as well but turns out they're 7"

I'm afraid to push it in turns because of the way the tires bow out. I haven't had any problems but I'm easy on them. I think 255 safely.

#12 ·
I only ran once but was pleased with my time

I'm on the right. I did win but only because Tony slept at the line. We Both have 2012 V6 3.7 but I have an automatic and he has a stick. I had to run just once to see what my car could do. I wasn't going to run at all but Tony paid the $10.00 so I couldn't refuse. He was faster but lost anyway Ha! Ha!

I lowerd my rear tire pressure to 25 pounds
Did NOT drive through the water,
Brake with left foot, Very little gas with right foot.
let off brake and softly floored the gas at first then floored it. ( Hard to explain)
I did push the button on the side of the shifter but I probably did not have to.

I really expected a 14 sec run and not a 13.3 at all.

I have Magnaflow streets, an Airaid CAI, "NO TUNE" and an Auto with 273 rear.

Tony has six speed, Airaid Cai, Borla mufflers "NO TUNE" Barton shifter, Not really sure what rear but it was a basic Mustang with no options when he bought it.

We both use BJ's 87 octane gas ($3.21 a gal )

I do like having the air pump in the trunk to fill my tires after the run. My car is a MCA Premium and loaded witn options.

I'll probably never run it again because I promised myself my track and Auto cross days were over when I bought this car. The devil "TONY" made me do it this time.

Ronnie

#13 ·
http://s410.photobucket.com/user/ronnie948/media/Mustangtimeslip_zps61ff7cc2.jpg.html

I'm on the right. I did win but only because Tony slept at the line. We Both have 2012 V6 3.7 but I have an automatic and he has a stick. I had to run just once to see what my car could do. I wasn't going to run at all but Tony paid the $10.00 so I couldn't refuse. He was faster but lost anyway Ha! Ha!

I lowerd my rear tire pressure to 25 pounds
Did NOT drive through the water,
Brake with left foot, Very little gas with right foot.
let off brake and softly floored the gas at first then floored it. ( Hard to explain)
I did push the button on the side of the shifter but I probably did not have to.

I really expected a 14 sec run and not a 13.3 at all.

I have Magnaflow streets, an Airaid CAI, "NO TUNE" and an Auto with 273 rear.

Tony has six speed, Airaid Cai, Borla mufflers "NO TUNE" Barton shifter, Not really sure what rear but it was a basic Mustang with no options when he bought it.

We both use BJ's 87 octane gas ($3.21 a gal )

I do like having the air pump in the trunk to fill my tires after the run. My car is a MCA Premium and loaded witn options.

I'll probably never run it again because I promised myself my track and Auto cross days were over when I bought this car. The devil "TONY" made me do it this time.

Ronnie
13.3. Damn bro. Holy god. That's sick and no tune. Way to go.

#14 ·
Everything went just perfect.

Like I stated many times on the Forum. I love the way my car shifts. It is a little mild when driving around town but when I get on the throttle it just snaps into the gears. It is a 2012 and don't have the features the 14's have. I just keep it in drive unless I want to profile going into a car show or cruise in. Then I like to put it in 1 or 2 depending on the place so I ca keep the revs up to show off my exhaust a little.
The more I drive this Mustang-The more I love it

Tony say's I should put in some lower ratio gears to see if I could get into the 12's.
I did not really buy this car to race so that is never gonna happen. He looked at the tag on his rear and he has the 3.31 ratio. He goes to the drag strip more then I ever will. I love it but can't afford to do it. I did my stuff when I was younger and working. If I puked something I had $$$ to fix it.

My Mustang is fast enough for me and looks so good I have a hard time not just plain going out into the garage and admire it. When I really want to enjoy the ride I get up at 4 AM and take a nice traffic free drive listening to my pipes and my 50's music on my Sirius radio. Stop by the Diner at about eight to have breakfast with the Street rodders that are usually there and home by 9:30 or 10.

I do want to get an Aluminum drive shaft but I know I really don't need it. I just want it. Lighter then my stock shaft. Looks better too.

Ronnie

#18 · (Edited)
There was another 3.7 that turned 14 something

I did not get a chance to talk to whoever owned that one. It was a 13 or 14 . Did not have my tail lights. A couple of gt's was there and ran 13's the same as Tony and me. They could not hook up at all. I think the drivers were not very good.

I used to drag race my 98 Corvette and turned 12.6 / 12.7's with an automatic and run flat Firestone tires. I learned not to get street tires wet. I also learned throttle control with an automatic.

Tire pressure is important, I did 38 in the fronts and 25 in the rears.

If you look you can see Tony did 13.1's with his manual but I still beat him Ha! Ha !
He has a lot done to his car except for No tune. ( That I know of) He does have some really light weight Steeda wheels and Nitto tires. He also has an aluminum drive shaft.( I want one )

We both filled up at BJ's I used 87 octane. Tony ? octane

There was a Roush there that turned 12.6 which I thought was really good for a street car.

You guys gotta remember that we in Florida are at sea level. That may make a difference. Hooking up will make a huge difference.

I do not baby my car and drive it without worrying about Miles per gallon.

It cost $12.00 to get in and $10.00 more to run as many times as you want on Wednesday nights. A lot of fun for a small amount of money. It is set up as street racing and not really competition. That is unless between friends or something.
Ronnie

#19 ·
I did not get a chance to talk to whoever owned that one. It was a 13 or 14 . Did not have my tail lights. A couple of gt's was there and ran 13's the same as Tony and me. They could not hook up at all. I think the drivers were not very good.

I used to drag race my 98 Corvette and turned 12.6 / 12.7's with an automatic and run flat Firestone tires. I learned not to get street tires wet. I also learned throttle control with an automatic.

Tire pressure is important, I did 38 in the fronts and 25 in the rears.

If you look you can see Tony did 13.1's with his manual but I still beat him Ha! Ha !
He has a lot done to his car except for No tune. ( That I know of) He does have some really light weight Steeda wheels and Nitto tires. He also has an aluminum drive shaft.( I want one )

We both filled up at BJ's with 87 octane.

There was a Roush there that turned 12.6 which I thought was really good for a street car.

You guys gotta remember that we in Florida are at sea level. That may make a difference. Hooking up will make a huge difference.

I do not baby my car and drive it without worrying about Miles per gallon.
Ronnie
Based on your run time you should be able to drive my 11 V6 automatic and run in the 12's. I'm running a 93 MPT race tune, CAI, ceramic long tube headers, off road x pipe, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft and Flowmaster force II axle backs. :)

#29 · (Edited)
Hi 2011 Kona Blue

There is no reason you should not be in the 12's unless you just spin the tires and get no traction.
I see you live in Maryland. If you are anywhere close to Cecil County you should go to the Drag Strip there and run it. Cecil County Drag strip is a world class act and I'm sure they have a night where you can just run for the fun of it and not be tied down to competition racing. That is where I started drag racing when I lived in Delaware forty seven years Plus ago. It was there or Atco New Jersey and a few other tracks I spent my Saturday nights or Sunday's having some of the best times of my life.

With the Mod's on your car you really need to see what it will do at least once.

http://www.cecilcountydragway.com/
Ronnie

#30 ·
There is no reason you should not be in the 12's unless you just spin the tires and get no traction.
I see you live in Maryland. If you are anywhere close to Cecil County you should go to the Drag Strip there and run it. Cecil County Drag strip is a world class act and I'm sure they have a night where you can just run for the fun of it and not be tied down to competition racing. That is where I started drag racing when I lived in Delaware forty seven years Plus ago. It was there or Atco New Jersey and a few other tracks I spent my Saturday nights or Sunday's having some of the best times of my life.

With the Mod's on your car you really need to see what it will do at least once.
Ronnie
I live 40 minutes from Cecil County dragstrip.

#31 · (Edited)
Those low 13's with simple mods are really impressive. I'm very new at drag racing and didn't have my tune then, but with my 96 SVT Cobra which has the same HP as your new V6's I have yet to break into the 13's. My best was 14.2 with my 5 speed and street tires. People need to stop ragging on 6's.

To the OP. One of the reasons your time may have dropped .5 this time out is the cool air we have now. My last time out was in July, high 80's and humid at Maple Grove in Reading PA. Maple Grove stopped Test and Tune for the year on 9-6. I may need to take a drive to Cecil or Atco. I know Atco runs until early December.

Great times guys. To the guy from FL, You had you drag racing days. I'd say if you want just drive it and enjoy it. No need to risk breaking it.

Btw I LOVE my BAMA tune. I'm running 93 Octane race tune and picked up 2-3 mpg and lots of seat of the pants power increase. That plus my new suspension mods make it very fun to drive. It sucks we are heading into winter. I hope it's a snowless one so I can keep on enjoying my Stang.

#32 ·
Hi Spiney

I'm with you on
To the guy from FL, You had you drag racing days. I'd say if you want just drive it and enjoy it. No need to risk breaking it.
I would not have run mine the one time if Tony had not talked me into it and paid the fee. It was nice beating him though and I don't let him forget it. ( Although he was faster)

My all types of track are done now and I do enjoy my Mustang by just looking at it and driving it. Like I said before. " Getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and just going for a nice traffic free drive (Not Fast) just cruising is still just plain enjoyable. Of course if I hit the LOTTO I would Drag race, Hot lap, Auto-X until I'm 100 years young.

Ronnie

#34 ·
I'm with you on

I would not have run mine the one time if Tony had not talked me into it and paid the fee. It was nice beating him though and I don't let him forget it. ( Although he was faster)

My all types of track are done now and I do enjoy my Mustang by just looking at it and driving it. Like I said before. " Getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning and just going for a nice traffic free drive (Not Fast) just cruising is still just plain enjoyable. Of course if I hit the LOTTO I would Drag race, Hot lap, Auto-X until I'm 100 years young.

Ronnie
Wouldn't we all lmao :p awesome Ronnie

And you could make your own damn am pocket t :p

#35 ·
Pocket T ""YES"" Black ""YES"" American Muscle ""YES""

I'm sure I'n not the only person that wants them.

Both my and Tony's Mustangs are 2012 3.7 V6 engines. I have no tune. Tony say's he has no tune. Mine an Auto his a stick.

The problem that I seen with the 5.0's that ran that night was they just could not hook up and the drivers in each car was an idiot trying to take off to quick and not try feathering it a little. You have to remember that the V8's have heavier engines and just don't transfer the weight very well. They are much better out on the street getting it on from a roll.

Ronnie

#37 ·
Hi Black 12

Sure sounds like you would like to come on down and run for some $$$$$$$$.
I don't have the fastest. Tony did a better time in the quarter then I did. My automatic was just better off the line.
You need to get out to the drag strip a little more often and see what some of the Turbo fours are doing.
With a 273 ratio I don't spin the tires as much, I hold first gear as well as second and third longer, And if I ran more I could probably do a little better. Probably not much but maybe just a tad.
Now, get me out on a highway and me try to run a GT from a 30/40MPH roll, I would not stand a chance at all. The GT would pull away from me so fast I would think my car was stopped. ( The GT would not be spinning the tires much at all from a roll) My 273 rear would kill me. It is a whole lot different from a standing start. (Using only street tires) No, I don't have the fastest V6 in the world but I sure do have one that runs great and is fun to drive. It looks good too.
Ronnie:thumb:

#38 ·
Sure sounds like you would like to come on down and run for some $$$$$$$$. I don't have the fastest. Tony did a better time in the quarter then I did. My automatic was just better off the line. You need to get out to the drag strip a little more often and see what some of the Turbo fours are doing. With a 273 ratio I don't spin the tires as much, I hold first gear as well as second and third longer, And if I ran more I could probably do a little better. Probably not much but maybe just a tad. Now, get me out on a highway and me try to run a GT from a 30/40MPH roll, I would not stand a chance at all. The GT would pull away from me so fast I would think my car was stopped. ( The GT would not be spinning the tires much at all from a roll) My 273 rear would kill me. It is a whole lot different from a standing start. (Using only street tires) No, I don't have the fastest V6 in the world but I sure do have one that runs great and is fun to drive. It looks good too. Ronnie:thumb:
I think the biggest factor in your times are your location, trac prep and Technique cuz obvi anyone with a shorter gear ratio or anyone with full exhaust should be getting better times than just CAI and exhaust. Your track location is just god

#40 ·
I race twice a month in season at Rt66 Raceway. 2011 and later V8 GT Mustangs run high 12.90s at 109 at this track in stock condition, no mods. Your right there with them. Your amazing. Maybe the best internet racer I've ever come across. Have fun with this.

#41 ·
Good one Jonathon

That's all they had to do.:lol:

Hi Black 12
A GT with somebody that knows how to drive it should do 12's. As you know, if they spin the hell out of the tires they could constantly do 14's and 15's.
I'm sure if a good running 3.7 V6 automatic with a decent driver were to ever show up at your track you would poop your self.
You are more then welcome to drive on down to Florida and run me anytime. Our season is all year.
There is more then one or two V6 Mustangs that run at Orlando Speed World and go from 13's to 16's. I say 16's due to some people just can't shift a stick.::D
There are some souped up fox body Mustangs running the high 11's and low 12's that are driven in and street ready.
One of our club members with a GT with a Boss manifold and cheater slicks plus a few other mods does a consistent mid 11's and it is a street car.
You can have all the power in the world when Drag Racing at a Drag Strip but if you can't connect or shift you are going to suck at getting good times in a 1/4 mile. That is just a well known fact.

Ronnie

#56 ·
You can have all the power in the world when Drag Racing at a Drag Strip but if you can't connect or shift you are going to suck at getting good times in a 1/4 mile. That is just a well known fact.

Ronnie
That has nothing to do with the FACT that a stock V6 will not run 13.2 with a 2.14 60' foot at 108 mph.

I have no doubt the time slip is genuine, I am completely convinced the timer was wrong.

Since you have "so much experience" then you would know that if you got your car to a 1.9 60' then you'd be in the 12s. So you're telling me a stock 3.7 auto can do 12.8s at 109-110 MPH?

Absolutely not.

#51 ·
It's all fun. Some may have really quick and fast cars, that's fine. It's all relative. More money the faster you go. It just makes no cense and it sounds ridiculous to someone that has been making laps for over 40 years and owns one of these cars to claim such performance. I have no engine mods, 60' at 2.059 and run 14.1 @ 101+ on stock tires shifting at 6900 with 3.55 gears. Leaving above 3500 spins the tires and it's done. To run quicker, these cars need to leave at 4500 where the engine makes max torque and drag radials are required to do that. Aluminum driveshaft (safety) should be part of this upgrade. A good tune just adds to, the potential to run quicker. With 26" Hoosier drag radials my gear becomes a 3.75, just an FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.