Road Racing and Autocross!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Road Racing and Autocross!!

Hey guys I recently attended a SRT Track Experience (yes I know it's not ford) and had a great time! There were other ford guys there as well, and it was fun (check out some videos from the even below!
Now I kinda want to do some road racing, or autocross, in comparison drag racing seems kinda boring (I mean you start and its over in 12-13 seconds (or less for the faster guys)!
Any one know of what is needed to get into this sport? or site where I can find events in my area?

http://www.youtube.com/user/StoneWhiteDaytona/videos
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It really depends on how you get on the track. Most tracks require you to be a member of their organization with membership and track fees and volunteer work. Other tracks make an organization rent the track for so many hours under their supervision (instructor in your car or you following a pace car).

I have never heard of a track allowing people to just come out and go all out. So if that's what you are looking for, don't get your hopes up.

The SCCA is a great place to go to get involved and show your local tracks. Then go to those tracks' website and check the events to see whats going on. Or local car forums are a good place to start as well.

SCCA - Find your region -
The Sports Car Club of America - About

Auto X is usually done by local clubs and typically takes place in large parking lots/abandoned areas with proper permission. They sometimes have an entry fee (usually less than $30) and some require everyone who runs to volunteer to keep costs down. Also, most Auto X events are not SCCA sanctioned so those will not show on the SCCA website.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Ish416 thanx for the info, no I didn't expect to go to a track and go all out (not sure if I would want to, any ways, I'm not THAT good) but lots of goo info there I'll definitely be looking into this for next year!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Road racing / Auto X are definately the most rewarding forms of racing.

Drag racing really comes down to who has the most money and in an automatic car, there isn't much driver skill involved. In Auto X or road course, it's all about the driver.

I have seen guys in DSMs, F-bodies, Stangs and various imports hanging off the rear bumper of Vettes, GT-Rs, Vipers, Lambos and Porsches. Nothing is a harder hit to their ego than their $100K+ car not being able to out run some kid in an everymans car.

Also, if you decide to do this, for the love of your car and your life. Replace your brake pads with good ones. I highly recommend Hawk HPS or for more bite, Hawk HP Plus.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Also, if you decide to do this, for the love of your car and your life. Replace your brake pads with good ones. I highly recommend Hawk HPS or for more bite, Hawk HP Plus.
LOL yes, I was looking at the Wilwood big brake kit, but I'm not sure if I need that much brake yet, but the rotors and pads definitely WILL need to be upgraded!!
Thanx for the heads up though!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Autocross is definitely a good time I hope I can find some good events when I move to North Carolina
94CobraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
Hey guys I recently attended a SRT Track Experience (yes I know it's not ford) and had a great time! There were other ford guys there as well, and it was fun (check out some videos from the even below! Now I kinda want to do some road racing, or autocross, in comparison drag racing seems kinda boring (I mean you start and its over in 12-13 seconds (or less for the faster guys)! Any one know of what is needed to get into this sport? or site where I can find events in my area?
Not sure where you are located but there are definitely places where you can get on road course for the day. Google Hooked on Driving (HOD) or Sports Car Drivers Association (SCDA). I've attended events in the northeast in New Jersey, Pocono PA and Lime Rock Park in Connecticut and am totally addicted. Absolutelly awesome time, a great place to learn to be a better driver under controlled, safe conditions and have a freakin blast in the process. Track fees tend to be $295 to $350 and you will get PLENTY of track time and instruction. You will need an approved helmet and your car's goota be in good shape but you find all that info on the websites. Good Luck and PM me if you need any help.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Autocross is so much fun. I've been 2 times. 1st time by myself, 2nd time with Bullitt1075 and Straybullitt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-511804831.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	524.4 KB
ID:	135714  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Had a '94 Miata (blown with tons of goodies) that I used to AutoX years ago and had a blast. Can't wait to play with my new Stang now. Daughter turns 15 soon, and she's a gear head too...gonna get her started in Solo 2 soon.
Good, clean, safe fun for sure.
Troy
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've been looking at a few events around my area.... and I really want to do a few events next year!!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Autocross is so much fun. I've been 2 times. 1st time by myself, 2nd time with Bullitt1075 and Straybullitt
Who won
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Who won
Straybullitt, then Bullitt 1075, then me in 3rd I was pretty close behind though.

Straybullitt, went through and freshened up a bunch of his suspension and also had some nice Dunlop tires, Bullitt 1075 has the H&R Race springs with some negative camber. I'm stock (with 142k on the entire suspension) except for my wheels and Sumitomo tires from AM. So i think i did good in comparison being mostly stock (and only been driving for a little over 2 years)

HID end all thread
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Straybullitt, then Bullitt 1075, then me in 3rd I was pretty close behind though.

Straybullitt, went through and freshened up a bunch of his suspension and also had some nice Dunlop tires, Bullitt 1075 has the H&R Race springs with some negative camber. I'm stock (with 142k on the entire suspension) except for my wheels and Sumitomo tires from AM. So i think i did good in comparison being mostly stock (and only been driving for a little over 2 years)
Sounds good
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Sounds good
My last run i just said "**** it" and went all out, i practically drifted some corners. And got my best time that run after plowing right through a cone.

HID end all thread
Old 11-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My last run i just said "**** it" and went all out, i practically drifted some corners. And got my best time that run after plowing right through a cone.
Bahaha
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Bahaha
I really wish i could have gotten a video of the runs. Even just the last run would have been awesome to get video of.

HID end all thread
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like fun..... I'm gonna have to go to a few this summer!!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
I really wish i could have gotten a video of the runs. Even just the last run would have been awesome to get video of.
We missed you at our last event. I was pushing a little too much on my last run and took out three cones! I still need to figure out the correct tire pressures, so I can dial the understeer away. We also had a complete sandbagger in ESP for the second event in a row (#666 in the black new edge). He is far too modified to be running in ESP with us.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track