5.0 Manual vs auto stock for stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
5.0 Manual vs auto stock for stock

Which one do you think is faster in the quarter mile bone stock?

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

The manual would win unless the driver screws up.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I think the automatic would win, manual drivers have to be really good with their cars to beat a manual, especially is it is in sportshift, or if the driver is using the paddles on the auto, and, the gear ratios on the auto are higher than the manual.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
Which one do you think is faster in the quarter mile bone stock?

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

The manual would win unless the driver screws up.
The auto is consistently faster because it never misses a shift and shifts perfect every time.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The auto is consistently faster because it never misses a shift and shifts perfect every time.
This^.

Exactly what I was saying, I was just a bit more technical, since I mainly talked about sportshift.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
Which one do you think is faster in the quarter mile bone stock? ---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ---------- The manual would win unless the driver screws up.
It doesn't matter how quickly you can shift in a manual, auto will always shift faster. Stock for stock, auto would win, because as stated before, higher gear ratio, and the only way the driver can mess up is if they don't push on the gas :p
The manual has to worry about what rpm to launch at, when to shift and all that fancy stuff...
In a road race however, manual has the advantage.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The same arguments. The question isn't who can foxup less, it's what's faster. Stock for stock, 3.73 MT82 v. Auto? Same auw?

Leaving aside the foxup factor, the MT will take the auto, guaranteed. The factory auto tuning is atrocious. The factory engine tuning (for both) not a lot better and the higher driveline loss of the auto has to be considered.

I test drove both and there was no comparison. Ultimately, we're not talking a second here but, for sure the MT has the edge.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Ive owned both and I can tell you the auto is faster. The manual feels faster. But the auto is faster in a straight line.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The manual is "faster" because there is less drivetrain loss through a manual than an automatic which means you have more readily available horsepower, but the automatic will probably do the 1/4 mile slightly faster due to the faster shifts.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
It doesn't matter how quickly you can shift in a manual, auto will always shift faster. Stock for stock, auto would win, because as stated before, higher gear ratio, and the only way the driver can mess up is if they don't push on the gas :p
The manual has to worry about what rpm to launch at, when to shift and all that fancy stuff...
In a road race however, manual has the advantage.
Amen, auto is gas a go. Your 1/4 mile drag cars are mainly auto because they are consistently faster.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Stock or lightly modded, an automatic will usually pull a better ET, while a manual will usually have a better trap speed.

Built, an auto with a stall 999/1000 of the time will beat a manual with the same mods.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would normally say the manual is faster but the manual in this car is crap. An aftermarket manual like the MGW would blow the doors off the auto. It makes that much if a difference.
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Manual would win as long as you don't miss a gear

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Consistently the auto has been slower is stock form for years. As so as the new 5.0 shifts its over
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Without a tune and in street tires I will beat the auto with my 3:31 manual in 1/4 every time unless I mess up.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ppl who have never been to the track need to stfu. Automatic 5.0s around here run mid 12s bone *** stock. Sticks usually go high 12s. I'm sick of all the internet racers on this forum who have 0 idea wtf they are talking about honestly.

Manual is great for banging gears, road racing/autoxing and taking on ramps. Automatic will skull **** you at the 1/4 mile.

edit: And drive a stalled automatic 1/4 car making big power. You'll never think a stick is faster in a straight line again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ppl who have never been to the track need to stfu. Automatic 5.0s around here run mid 12s bone *** stock. Sticks usually go high 12s. I'm sick of all the internet racers on this forum who have 0 idea wtf they are talking about honestly.

Manual is great for banging gears, road racing/autoxing and taking on ramps. Automatic will skull **** you at the 1/4 mile.

A bit brutal, but needed to be said.

HID end all thread
Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #16

What does "stalled" automatic mean?
2013gt5.0auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I don't understand how these saw threads keep coming up. Can we make a sticky or something?
It seems pretty simple. Automatics are more consistent. It is a computer programmed to do the same thing over and over

A manual weighs less, and sees less parasitic loss. So all things equal, and perfect driving on both parts, the manual will win.

Over ten runs, which would average higher with a basic driver? The auto. Manual vs auto is just control vs consistency. Simple fact is that it's less weight and less loss. Also a simple fact it relies on the driver being perfect, every time. The professionals choose autos for drag cars for a reason.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I figured they'd be around the same, as long as the manual driver is a good driver. Manual is so much more fun though

Manual manual Manual manual manual manual (gotta piss the automatic owners off haha)

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I figured they'd be around the same, as long as the manual driver is a good driver. Manual is so much more fun though

Manual manual Manual manual manual manual (gotta piss the automatic owners off haha)
I couldn't say how fast either would be in any conditions, just that everything being equal with perfect driving makes a standard faster-but professionals choose auto s lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I don't understand how these saw threads keep coming up. Can we make a sticky or something?
It seems pretty simple. Automatics are more consistent. It is a computer programmed to do the same thing over and over

A manual weighs less, and sees less parasitic loss. So all things equal, and perfect driving on both parts, the manual will win.

Over ten runs, which would average higher with a basic driver? The auto. Manual vs auto is just control vs consistency. Simple fact is that it's less weight and less loss. Also a simple fact it relies on the driver being perfect, every time. The professionals choose autos for drag cars for a reason.
Wrong, the auto comes out of the hole harder and shifts faster than the fastest stick driver in the world. All things being equal the automatic will ALWAYS win.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It would take one HELL of a driver AND some extra hp and tq to beat an auto in the 1/4 at 140+mph passes. That being said you'll get him 1/10 times IF you're lucky.. Auto wins damn near every time, and is 100% more consistent.

Here's a manual though, just cause its ****ing AMAZING lol.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Thats cool
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

white03gt you would have to be good to shift like this
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

Yeah I saw that, lol thing is BRUTAL!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Why do I have a feeling that some people are saying manuals are faster because they are butt hurt that an automatic just might be faster in the quarter?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Easier to launch an auto when not running purely drag tires or with a 2 step launch control. And an auto will shift faster than a power shifting manual.

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Why do I have a feeling that some people are saying manuals are faster because they are butt hurt that an automatic might be faster?

I drive a manual and still think autos are faster in the 1320 lol. On a road course I would take a manual though.

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Take the GTR for example. It's not a traditional auto so it's not a perfect comparison.... But with its dual clutch tranny it can shift as fast or faster than you can blink.

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 Manual vs auto stock for stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Wrong, the auto comes out of the hole harder and shifts faster than the fastest stick driver in the world. All things being equal the automatic will ALWAYS win.

If the auto always shifts faster, then how does the stock manual GT have a FASTER 1/4 mile time... Hmm. If the driver shifts perfectly, the manual will win, And this is coming from a person who has an auto, but I'm not that headstrong about it. The auto is much more consistent than a manual, that's why pros choose the auto, but a manual shifted perfectly, with the same stock/modded setup, will win, at least with our cars. The GTR and cars with similar transmissions are ridiculously fast at shifting.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I drive a manual and still think autos are faster in the 1320 lol. On a road course I would take a manual though.
Yeah I got you...and agree! But some people seem to make excuses for what is obviously wrong. A modern automatic can shift faster than a human, its a computer versus human thought and reflexes, we lose. It's like trying to be faster than a calculator at math. You won't win. haha There's no room for an argument.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
If the auto always shifts faster, then how does the stock manual GT have a FASTER 1/4 mile time... Hmm. If the driver shifts perfectly, the manual will win, And this is coming from a person who has an auto, but I'm not that headstrong about it. The auto is much more consistent than a manual, that's why pros choose the auto, but a manual shifted perfectly, with the same stock/modded setup, will win.

Umm no...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
If the auto always shifts faster, then how does the stock manual GT have a FASTER 1/4 mile time... Hmm. If the driver shifts perfectly, the manual will win, And this is coming from a person who has an auto, but I'm not that headstrong about it. The auto is much more consistent than a manual, that's why pros choose the auto, but a manual shifted perfectly, with the same stock/modded setup, will win.

It doesn't. Real world examples are different than what a car is "rated" at. A lot of those ratings are to prevent all the complaining from manual die hards.

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It doesn't. Real world examples are different than what a car is "rated" at. A lot of those ratings are to prevent all the complaining from manual die hards.

Ok then, I didn't know the ratings were intentionally different. I know that the auto will win 9/10 times, mainly because of the shifting.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Ok then, I didn't know the ratings were intentionally different. I know that the auto will win 9/10 times, mainly because of the shifting.

It's impossible to miss a shift in an auto, and no matter how fast you can shift a manual the auto will shift faster.

HID end all thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I know the auto can't blow a shift.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track