Aluminum Driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Aluminum Driveshaft

Has anyone made the change to the one piece aluminum driveshaft and ran the quarter mile for a comparison? Taking off 20lbs. of rotating weight has to have a positive effect. Just wondering what to expect.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I was wondering the same thing.
02 GT,Ford racing C springs,Tokico rear shocks,Mpr full length subframe connectors,Kyb adjustable front struts,hardened steel axles,3.73 gears,Bbk uppers,Granitelli adjustable lowers, Mach 1 seats,Steeda Tri ax shifter,Exedy stage 2 clutch,Firdanza aluminum flywheel,Bbk adjustable clutch quadrant,Bbk shorty headers ,Mpr catted x pipe,Pypes Violator catback,Jlt cai,Bulitt intake manifold,Venom 24 lb injectors,Ngk iridium plugs,TFS twisted wedge heads and cams,stock short block ,custom dyno tune on a Mustang dyno.
weschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Has anyone made the change to the one piece aluminum driveshaft and ran the quarter mile for a comparison? Taking off 20lbs. of rotating weight has to have a positive effect. Just wondering what to expect.
Many people have and enjoy them also. They are good for a couple tenths, but one of the biggest things you notice or seem to notice is that's your cars rpms seem to increase faster. It's like the engine doesn't have to work as hard.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Many people have and enjoy them also. They are good for a couple tenths, but one of the biggest things you notice or seem to notice is that's your cars rpms seem to increase faster. It's like the engine doesn't have to work as hard.
Exactly. Less weight to spin
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have an aluminum flywheel , I guess lightweight driveshaft can't hurt
02 GT,Ford racing C springs,Tokico rear shocks,Mpr full length subframe connectors,Kyb adjustable front struts,hardened steel axles,3.73 gears,Bbk uppers,Granitelli adjustable lowers, Mach 1 seats,Steeda Tri ax shifter,Exedy stage 2 clutch,Firdanza aluminum flywheel,Bbk adjustable clutch quadrant,Bbk shorty headers ,Mpr catted x pipe,Pypes Violator catback,Jlt cai,Bulitt intake manifold,Venom 24 lb injectors,Ngk iridium plugs,TFS twisted wedge heads and cams,stock short block ,custom dyno tune on a Mustang dyno.
weschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Less rotating mass has that effect in acceleration. I was just wondering if anyone has track times to verify the tenth or so I often see claimed. The stock driveshaft is one heavy, long, two piece, vibration prone, piece of junk. JMO. I'll have my shaft in next month. Wouldn't put drag radials on without it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm interested in a one piece shaft.

what do the drag guys have to say about it?
PA_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Less rotating mass has that effect in acceleration. I was just wondering if anyone has track times to verify the tenth or so I often see claimed. The stock driveshaft is one heavy, long, two piece, vibration prone, piece of junk. JMO. I'll have my shaft in next month. Wouldn't put drag radials on without it.
Well, since you're getting an aluminium driveshaft, keep your stocker and the next time that you go to the strip, bring everything that you need to swap driveshafts and do a side by side comparison.
I think everyone will be interested in the results.
Like ZL said, I also think that you will only see a couple of tenths... At best.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Well, since you're getting an aluminium driveshaft, keep your stocker and the next time that you go to the strip, bring everything that you need to swap driveshafts and do a side by side comparison.
I think everyone will be interested in the results.
Like ZL said, I also think that you will only see a couple of tenths... At best.
A couple tenths is a LOT in drag racing
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
I know it! That's why I said "at best".
I honestly don't think he'll see anything near that but I hope he does a comparison, on the same day, so we can see what he finds.

Sent by my Carrier Pigeon using the Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol.
I know it! That's why I said "at best".
I honestly don't think he'll see anything near that but I hope he does a comparison, on the same day, so we can see what he finds.

Sent by my Carrier Pigeon using the Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm thinking about updating the app just so I can put something clever in my Sig :p

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Oh lord Jezus lol

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I'm thinking about updating the app just so I can put something clever in my Sig :p

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Oh lord Jezus lol

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know why it ain't working lol
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've got 40 runs on the stock shaft. I'll know what it's worth immediately. I wouldn't put drag radials on without it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've got 40 runs on the stock shaft. I'll know what it's worth immediately. I wouldn't put drag radials on without it.
Every day is different. The only way to get a fair evaluation is to test on the same day. The gain will be ever so slight. And if you use DR's, you can throw your old numbers out the window.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Every day is different. The only way to get a fair evaluation is to test on the same day. The gain will be ever so slight. And if you use DR's, you can throw your old numbers out the window.

Well there are similarities between the days. I've been to the strip 2 times and first time I was stock. Second time I had the 91 Race tune. I was running just about the same times (couldn't hook for crap any single run) but the 2nd time I was getting consistently higher mph.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

All I need to see is a better 60' and the rest is gravy. I know it's there, I just wondered if anyone had documented the improvements. I don't expect it to be more than a tenth overall. It will be safer and allow me to use the DR tires and shift sooner. That will be more than tenth for sure. As usual, those of us that race at the track are a minority. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Smile

Any time weight can be removed it is a good thing. Removing rotating weight is even better. An one piece aluminum driveshaft is in my future. Just trying to decide on the manufacturer.
Tire Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Shaker View Post
Any time weight can be removed it is a good thing. Removing rotating weight is even better. An one piece aluminum driveshaft is in my future. Just trying to decide on the manufacturer.

The Driveshaft Shop. Anything else is blasphemy.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Shaker View Post
AM sells a sweet one piece from the axle exchange. That's what I got.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The Driveshaft Shop. Anything else is blasphemy.

Not impressed with DSS...I visited their facility and customer service is not so much.
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Just my 2 cents , put one in my old Mach 1 , witch I took to the track a bit , never noticed ANY difference in ET's , as a matter of fact my best all time ET was with the old shaft
so yes it gets rid of some rotating mass but IMO its not enough to do anything
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just an FYI. 10 lbs. of rotating mass is like 100 lbs. of static weight. Car should pick up 8-10 hundredths off the ET. I'll post on this in the spring.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be installing the am driveshaft this spring. But I should see a lot of gains I hope over last season just spun all the way through 3 rd. installed uca and lca 70/30 struts mt street et. Under drive pulleys. So it will be hard to know what the biggest gain was.
royalpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Are the aluminum drive shafts are simple bolt in replacement. In other words take the stock out and bolt the aluminum in its place, no mods? Who has the best price? Also why do they put a 2 piece in from the factory?
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yes just in bolt and rebolt. Good question why they didn't install a good drive shaft from the start but boils down to cost.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
Are the aluminum drive shafts are simple bolt in replacement. In other words take the stock out and bolt the aluminum in its place, no mods? Who has the best price? Also why do they put a 2 piece in from the factory?
Because an aluminium driveshaft costs more money so Ford put in a less quality two piece to save money. Also, Ford figures you don't need a better driveshaft because no need to drive 140 plusmph so the two piece works just fine at their speed limiter of 113 mph.

Needles too say I didn't feel the same as Ford did so I have a one piece aluminium driveshaft. After all we have a bad *** 305 HP little beast and it needs to be broken free of its restrictions. Booooooo yaaaaaaa
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Can't believe a 2 pc. could possibly cost less than a 1 piece even if its alum. They could of put in a 1 pc. stell for less.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Can't believe a 2 pc. could possibly cost less than a 1 piece even if its alum. They could of put in a 1 pc. steel for less.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Not mass produced, they make sections that with different combos fit many many vehicles. That is why they use 2 piece drive shaft and how it's cheaper.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for info.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't want to use the stock two piece driveshaft with drag radials. The Hoosier drag radial is 26" so my final rear axel ratio will be 3.75 and I'll be shifting sooner between gears and hit a higher RPM at the stripe. The one piece Aluminum shaft is stronger and safer, both of which I value a lot. As a new combination, I know this deal will run quicker but, not faster than 102mph. Going to be fun.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Since the new aluminum driveshaft was installed, I can definitely see a fuel mileage improvement, it rpms quicker and the well designed drivetrain vibration is now minimalized. To the track in 4-5 weeks.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Can't wait to get warm enough get the car out start bolting on parts.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

The aluminum driveshaft took .140 off my best time. Almost 1 1/2 tenths. Car weighed 3380 lbs. with 1/3 tank of fuel. Very happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track