trap gear? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
trap gear?

can someone tell me whether I should be finishing the 1/4 mile in 3rd gear or 4th? I usually shift into fourth about 20 ft before the trap. some people have told me I should be finishing in 3rd but when I try that I hit the Rev limiter and slow down about 40 ft before the trap.
I'm running 2013 5.0 with 3.31 gears, bama race tune, Boss intake, and MT ET Street Radial IIs 295-45-17s.
any advice would be appreciated. also I have Steeda LCAs, uca, and bmr relocation brackets and still spin if I launch higher that 3k.should I launch from 2nd gear at higher rmp? all advice appreciated. fasted ET is 12.8 on a crappy track in Germany. I know I should be faster. thanks.
according to bama with the boss intake my limiter is set to 7600. I try and shift at 75. hth.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
can someone tell me whether I should be finishing the 1/4 mile in 3rd gear or 4th? I usually shift into fourth about 20 ft before the trap. some people have told me I should be finishing in 3rd but when I try that I hit the Rev limiter and slow down about 40 ft before the trap.
I'm running 2013 5.0 with 3.31 gears, bama race tune, Boss intake, and MT ET Street Radial IIs 295-45-17s.
any advice would be appreciated. also I have Steeda LCAs, uca, and bmr relocation brackets and still spin if I launch higher that 3k.should I launch from 2nd gear at higher rmp? all advice appreciated. fasted ET is 12.8 on a crappy track in Germany. I know I should be faster. thanks.
according to bama with the boss intake my limiter is set to 7600. I try and shift at 75. hth.
It really depends on what Tire you're running. I'm running a 275/50/15 on my 2011 GT with 3.73 gears and I'm finishing at the very top of 4th gear. I finish the pass at about 7,400 RPM's in 4th. In a perfect world you'd like to finish at the top of a gear so that you're utilizing all of your power. If you're shifting into 4th about 20ft before the trap, you're not using your full potential. I would recommend getting a taller tire and that should help you stay in 3rd! I'm not sure exactly what size you'd need but there is a ton of Calculators out there that will allow you to figure out what MPH you'll be at, at the very top 3rd gear with X tire.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the insight. Good excuse for me to go ahead and buy some slicks. AM get ready for another order. lol.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
this guys in 4th lol. Ran an 11.88 at 114 with just a tune and gt500 mufflers on street tires
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know my time would be a lot better on a nice prepped track. I should be in the 11s easy. The track here in Germany is nothing more than an old air strip with lights and it's kind of uphill. They don't sweep the starting line or anything. But I am grateful that they at least have a track for us to race on over here.

If there are any Soldiers or Airmen planning to come to Germany the track is located in Bitburg. About 90 minutes from Kaiserslautern/Ramstein. It is ran by Germans and some Americans about 5 weekends per year.

Home - 1on1-motorsports.de
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by White03GT View Post
this guys in 4th lol. Ran an 11.88 at 114 with just a tune and gt500 mufflers on street tires
I'm sorry I find this hella, HELLA suspect. There is something to be said about the driver mod but this is a little excessive...

To the OP, no you do NOT launch in 2nd EVER at the track. You want to be finishing right at the top of 4th which 3.73s will do on a stock tire size 2011-2014 car.

As far as spinning out of the whole... that's a combination of practice practice practice on your part and getting a better set of tires for the 1/4 mile. If you seriously want to drop your times get a set of tires for the 1/4 mile. ET streets on drag wheels are very common and allow you to drive to and from the track just fine. Just make sure you get a direct drill rim, don't buy any of that uni-lug crap. IIRC the Darkstar front 17" rim on AM is uni-lug or they were having a fire sale on ones that were during cyber monday. At any rate, keep away from uni-lug.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Wow! Lots going on here. Good post. Try to launch at the closest rpm that you can, to get near the max torque rpm, 4500+ in first gear. You need to multiply that torque as much as possible to get the car moving. If you spin you need a better tire etc. A shorter 26" Drag Radial would help. The 3.31 gear isn't do you any favors. Shifting past the HP peak isn't working either. The engine already nosed over. FYI going from a 27.6" tire to a 26" with my 3.55 gears lowered my gear to 3.75 Now crossing the stripe in 4th at 5400 in my V6. Pulling! I don't think your times are that bad. Cars running! Have fun.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have feeling I wont even be close to 12 until I can get on a good track. Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Track prep is something to worry about too. You can drop a ton off your time just by switching from a crap 1/4 track to one that actually does a good job maintaining/preparing it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Track prep is something to worry about too. You can drop a ton off your time just by switching from a crap 1/4 track to one that actually does a good job maintaining/preparing it.
This has a ton to do with it.

Although, even with a complete crap track you will likely be trapping in the same gear within a few MPH of what you would run on a good track.

Example, I was at Muncie dragway in my Z28 on a night that there was no track prep, I ran a 12.0 @ 124 followed by an 11.9 @ 126 before getting kicked off the track (no cage). On a different night with similar conditions and with the track prepped I ran an 11.4 @ 129.

People think too much into the ET and not the trap speed which is really how fast your car is.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
This has a ton to do with it.

Although, even with a complete crap track you will likely be trapping in the same gear within a few MPH of what you would run on a good track.

Example, I was at Muncie dragway in my Z28 on a night that there was no track prep, I ran a 12.0 @ 124 followed by an 11.9 @ 126 before getting kicked off the track (no cage). On a different night with similar conditions and with the track prepped I ran an 11.4 @ 129.

People think too much into the ET and not the trap speed which is really how fast your car is.

That is somewhat true about trap being how fast your car is.... But aren't 99% of races to see who can get from point A to point B? Yea your mph will show how much power your car has but ET is how fast you got there, which is what matters more to most people.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That is somewhat true about trap being how fast your car is.... But aren't 99% of races to see who can get from point A to point B? Yea your mph will show how much power your car has but ET is how fast you got there, which is what matters more to most people.
All depends what you are doing and what the car is setup for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > At the Track