Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Southern California

Tags
california
3K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  tezz 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a drag strip open to the public in Southern California?

#2 ·
Man I heard they used to have one here at the port of Los Angeles back in the 90's but they shut it down for some reason. Umm maybe in long beach they MIGHT do it. I think Pasadena MAYBE. Irwindale for sure though. Sorry I couldn't help more

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®

#5 ·
None left. There was Lyons and Orange County International Raceway that let the public run back in the 70s both closed. I don't recall Irwindale or Pomona ever allowing public access.

#13 ·
Yep 1/4 mile i cant wait to go take my baby to see what it can pull in the 1/4 mile
You can drive exotic cars like lambos and gtrs and stuff around the track
Its kind of expensive but i think it would be worth it for a great ride lol
The cheapest one is a supercharged vetter with 600+ hrsp for $99 with personalized instructors ?

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Do you guys know what it costs to do a run?

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I've never been to a track lol. It's my first sports car :D

The guy told me $20 for as many runs you can get in
Its really fun

#17 ·
Do you guys know what it costs to do a run? ---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ---------- I've never been to a track lol. It's my first sports car :D
At Irwindale it's $20 all night! I haven't been since I got my 5.0 but I went with a couple of dudes on here when I got my 3.7! It's fun man.

#20 ·
I know its not

And its like a thing they have where you can drive exotic cars like lambos and gtrs and porches around the track with a profesional driver that tells you what to do. For lambos its like $250 for like 8 laps or something
the cheapest is the corvette which has 600+ hrsp for $99

#37 ·
As far as Fontana goes, check their sched online to see when they are open to general public. Everyone tries to get there as early as possible to get the most runs in. It was $20 last time I went.
Your car has to pass a tech inspection - not a prob for newer cars but for older cars you need to make sure it's battery is tied down, radiator has a puke can, and it's not leaving oil slicks all over the track. There are some specifics like convertibles need roll bars if you are in the 13's (might be 12s - been a while). I think hard tops need a roll bar if under 11 or at least helmets? Again, check their site for rules.
They didn't want anyone running under 10s - you will be booted if you do. Some guys play the game of getting off the gas or braking to see how close they can get without being tossed... Or just go for it planning to booted. You will be issued a card for the Speedway - too many times ejected and you won't be allowed to race.
Go with a group. There is a lot of down time waiting on busy days - you may only get 3 or 4 runs in. With a group you can compare launch techniques, tire pressures, etc. Tool boxes, folding chairs, canopies, street tires if you are swapping on slicks, can be safely left with the group. And if you manage to break your car, you stand a better chance of getting home.
There are usually beer and food trucks/stands. Drivers have a wrist band prohibiting them from buying beer. Bringing food and sodas is fine - use the trash cans. Wear real shoes - no driving in flip flops .
Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.